Recommend a good heart rate monitor?

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I haven't really looked at these in 10-15 years but I've read of their importance in "Younger Next Year" and "The Art of Aging". Besides it sounds like a chance to tinker.

I'm interested in a "wish list" model that could be worn in surf & heavy, voluminous sweat. If I wore it under a chest protector then it'd have to survive martial-arts round kicks & punches, or I'd need to wear it lower on my torso or in back. Blood pressure & max heartrates (in addition to average pulse) would be a bonus. I'm especially curious about storing a couple hours of data and downloading it to a PC for more detailed analysis & history. A simple "set & forget" user interface would be better because I don't want to have to keep whipping out my reading glasses to tinker with it. And finally, if my family gets over the "yuck" factor of borrowing Dad's cool gear, it may have multiple users.

Older proven models would be a bonus, especially if I can find them on Craigslist.

Polar seems to be the popular brand. Don't know if it's the best. I have a Garmin myself because it's integrated with my Garmin GPS watch, but if I was looking at just a heart rate monitor I'd look at Polar. I don't know enough to recommend a specific model.

Some triatheletes wear them so wearing them in surf and sweat shouldn't be a problem, for at least some models.

I doubt you'll find one that measures blood pressure, because you have to have a cuff on your arm or wrist that squeezes, wouldn't you? I'd guess that any other method probably wouldn't be too accurate.

I don't know anything about how well they take a blow. And all of the models I know about have a watch that gets the signal from the chest strap, and actually does the recording. I don't think you want to wear a watch doing martial arts, would you? I don't know if they make any with just the chest strap.

Seems like you'd want the watch anyway. Usually you want to be able to monitor it while exercising, so you can check it or set an alarm to back off if you hit a certain point, and also know whether you've got your heart rate up to the optimal exercise range. Real-time feedback is probably going to be a lot more helpful than trying to analyze it afterwards.

You should be able to get readings over time, average, min/max. I don't know how many also connect to a PC. Older ones are less likely to have it, and maybe not USB. My previous Garmin GPS just had a serial interface, and even when I didn't have a PC with serial interface it was real quirky to the connection recognized. The newer Garmin is a snap. I'm talking about GPS watches rathre than HRMs but I'm guessing the recording/downloading technology isn't that much different.

So watch out for getting too old of a HRM, but some exercise/tech junkies always want the latest and get rid of their previous ones cheap.

I've used theh Polars but the battery in the chest strap transmitter is not replaceable. Mine lasted 3 years, but replacement straps cost more than the whole watch-strap combo from Omron.

I ordered an Omron from Amazon for $43 - should arrive any day and I'll let you know. The Polar worked fine but they are too pricey and they are gamey about the way the bundle features in certain models, kind of forcing you up the price ladder to get the one feature you want.

I love working out with it, since I can just run for the pulse range without worrying about my pace, distance, etc. especially in the summer.

I bought the Timex Zone Trainer
Digital Heart Rate
from the new Dicks store during their grand opening using a coupon. Paid about $59. I like the zone mode - I use it for hiking. It seems to be reliable. My DW uses the Polar basic model that we have had for about 6 years. I also have one of the Apex models that works with our treadmill. The thing I like about the Timex is the ability to change the chest strap battery without sending to a repair depot (like I have to do with the Apex and the Polar models).

I have had zero problems with these. If you run with another person you might want to pick models that won't interfere with another unit. That was one feature I looked for in the Timex.

I've used theh Polars but the battery in the chest strap transmitter is not replaceable. Mine lasted 3 years, but replacement straps cost more than the whole watch-strap combo from Omron.

I ordered an Omron from Amazon for $43 - should arrive any day and I'll let you know. The Polar worked fine but they are too pricey and they are gamey about the way the bundle features in certain models, kind of forcing you up the price ladder to get the one feature you want.

I love working out with it, since I can just run for the pulse range without worrying about my pace, distance, etc. especially in the summer.

I have a 10-year old Polar, don't know if it works or not..........:p

DH and I have Polars, both about three or four years old. Ditto to above advice, the chest strap battery is not replaceable, but luckily ours haven't died yet, although the watch batteries had to be replaced once so far. We wear them one to two hours a day. We can't be within 10 feet of each other at the gym or the transmitters interfere. It's pretty funny, one of us (or someone else near us) will comment on their strange heart rate, and turns out we're all identical because one transmitter is overriding the others.
I have to wear mine in a different than normal spot to have it pick up my heart rate (not unheard of). You might want to check the web sites of whatever type you're interested in to see if it's picky about location on your body.
The heart rate monitor is a very useful tool for me, that's for sure.

I have a Garmin myself because it's integrated with my Garmin GPS watch, but if I was looking at just a heart rate monitor I'd look at Polar.

The Garmin 305 is one of my favorite gadgets. There aren't many gadgets that make me want to exercise. :)

Between DW and I we've owned three Polar's. The basic models are less than $100, so it's cheaper to buy a new one vs a new chest strap when the battery goes. I have no idea how the chest strap will stand up to blows, but I've never had one fail due to sweat or water.

I sure wouldn't want to be kicked in the chest when wearing one of those. I thought it hurt under my sports bra.

I have a polar I don't use anymore, I can tell what my heart rate is by my exertion level now. Although it was beneficial the first year or so. Anyone interested?

I picked one up on closeout from Nashbar for about $15. It works fine but it wouldn't go in the water. The only negative I have heard about Polar is that you can't change the batteries easily.

Garmin 305, very nice. Use it infrequently but does its job when used.

I haven't really looked at these in 10-15 years but I've read of their importance in "Younger Next Year" and "The Art of Aging". Besides it sounds like a chance to tinker.

I'm interested in a "wish list" model that could be worn in surf & heavy, voluminous sweat. If I wore it under a chest protector then it'd have to survive martial-arts round kicks & punches, or I'd need to wear it lower on my torso or in back. Blood pressure & max heartrates (in addition to average pulse) would be a bonus. I'm especially curious about storing a couple hours of data and downloading it to a PC for more detailed analysis & history. A simple "set & forget" user interface would be better because I don't want to have to keep whipping out my reading glasses to tinker with it. And finally, if my family gets over the "yuck" factor of borrowing Dad's cool gear, it may have multiple users.

Older proven models would be a bonus, especially if I can find them on Craigslist.

I have used several Polar models over the years and I now use a Suunto T3 which is an excellent monitor. If you wish to use one for martial arts, you do not need to worry about the transmitter under a chest protector, you need to worry about where to wear the wrist unit. I wear mine around my belt in the middle of my back.

As you probably know, TKD is an excellent all around training program. I take about 9 classes per week and I teach 2. It is a great combination of aerobic, stretching and strenghth workouts. For retired persons, nothing beats old fashioned pushups, situps, suicides and military type PT.

I have competed in numerous tourments and at 57 I continue to compete. I usually dominate the over 45 division and I often compete against 20 to 30 year old. Often the young people are faster and more flexible than I , but I always beat them with endurance. I do not do well in 90 second rounds, but give me three minute rounds and I rock.

Keep up your TKD!

Two Years FIRED.
Bill (2nd Dan)

Over 18 months later and flush with $100+ from eBay sales, I'm coming back to this purchase.

Looking at retail, I'd probably pick a “starter model” Garmin Forerunner 50, Suunto T3c, or Timex Zone Trainer. They all appear to be able to store a workout and download it to a computer for further display/analysis, which is the feature I'm most interested in. Nothing on my local Craigslist-- I guess people don't resell their sweaty old gear.

I like the Omron's price but it doesn't seem to be able to download to a computer.

Looks like Polar maintains a bewildering array of pricier products. Do they still have a battery-changing problem?

Any other brands I should take a look at?

Any updates on their HRM's longevity?

Back
Top Bottom