Redefining ER "work" after intermission

I worked 1-2 days a week in 2013 and early 2014. I "retired" April 2nd, but I'm still considered an employee, helping out answering questions as needed. Maybe 2 emails a month. I'm also scheduled to be a witness in a decade old court case, if and when it goes to trial. I've worked 4 hours in the last 6 months. I don't see myself going back to work - I'm too busy.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I can see myself in this mode after I retire. I do enjoy much of my job content, and some of it is more a hobby, Certain things folks find challenging I find fun to do. If someone wanted to pay me for doing it at my own pace and intervals, I would consider it.

I would love to work one or two days per week, but that's a hard job to find. The volunteer job that I do right now is a real snooze, so I'm going to abandon it at the first of the year. I'm thinking about after school tutoring, ESL, or adult literacy.

Sounds like my dream retirement job! More details, please?

Armed security at a high-security federal facility, the kind surrounded by barbed wire and alarms out the wazoo, gobs of cameras, etc. Security clearance was required. I retired from law enforcement so that was easy. I worked inside but surrounded by glass and watched as everyone, employees included, went through the magnetometer and ran packages and stuff through the x-ray machine, much like they do at an airport. After 6:00 PM or so and on weekends the building had a skeleton crew so there was very little activity. Note that most people would find this crushingly boring but I'm easily amused. Since I like to read it was no trouble for me. And it paid very nearly what I was making before I retired because of the extensive LE experience they required.

After I exhausted what I wanted to read at the library Amazon.com loved me because almost every few weeks I'd buy another box of books.:LOL:

But alas, all good things must come to an end. The Federal Protective Service that hired the contracting company that I worked for decided that we cost too much so they ditched the extensive LE experience requirement and cut the pay almost in half. Out of 48 people, 19 quit and they were replaced by people who could get in with as little as 3 years security guard experience at Walt-Mart and on a good day could hit the broad side of a barn with a 9mm at 20 yards. These are the people now protecting an essential national asset.:hide:

Sunset, thank you for that thought. If I were only 2 years short of SS credit, it could work. Thing is, my job applies recent, perishable experience to a specific project, and I expect to be replaced by a full-time career employee in a few months (employers have been open about this). Although I might be able to extend my current gig into 2015 to earn $4,000.00, I can't come back in 2016-2021 for another $4,000.00 per year (especially since we are about 60% determined to move to another state). :blush:

I've tried to think of other options to work a few weeks a year for 7 or 8 more years, but nothing realistic has occurred to me.
Amethyst

Understand I have no idea of your circumstances so if your desire is to not work please excuse my post.
I had a few years back, between jobs, the thought that I might not find another job due to various reasons, (age, unwilling to travel, skillset).
I was short my 40 credits/quarters for SS.
I of course figured out I could take any job at year end and keep it months into the new year and would get credit for both years. However, I did not like the idea of cooking burgers or greeting at Walmart.
It turns out, if you work for yourself , meaning self-employed, either sole proprietorship or form your own LLC, you pay SS taxes and you earn your credits. As long as you claim approximately 5K or more in income.

Honestly sometimes I think those who write these articles just CAN'T STAND the idea that people still can and often want to retire like their predecessors did 20, 30, or 50 years ago or more.

I get the same impression. Every time I read one of these articles I'm reminded of how those of us here make up a small minority.

Often, the article starts with the assumption that a traditional retirement is simply no longer viable due to various trends (fewer pensions, longer lifespans, political will lacking for Social Security tweaks, etc.). Then it says the "good" news is that retiring later -- much later -- or working in retirement makes for a more fulfilling life and keeps you engaged.

From the research I've read, the longer one is retired, the less inclined one is to go back to work. And the interest drops off very fast, well within the 29-month "career intermission" average mentioned in this article. I suspect that's particularly true for (voluntary) early retirees.

I have been asked, "Since you are retired (will be), how about doing x? You would be excellent." I am interested because it is not even remotely close to what my megacorp work was and I have naturally all the skills needed. Plus the perks are pretty good.
X is a job that now pays minimum wage. Until several years ago, it was a volunteer/unpaid position. Labor code now requires payment. The hours would be between 12 and 36 hours a MONTH for only four, maybe five months a year. Yes, I would get SS credit but the wages would not help minimize the effect of WEP since wages are so low.
Since I could never afford to live off this job, am I still considered "retired?" Or, do I go off and retirement over the year. The job is one that I will be asked regularly what I do for work. I can see, if I say X, people will be very confused. I could say, "I don't work or I am retired." I am not really looking for an answer. Just an interest twist. I know I am retired (well, will be). And get to do this fun thing for a while (that quite honestly I would do for the perks alone).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Since I could never afford to live off this job, am I still considered "retired?" Or, do I go off and retirement over the year. The job is one that I will be asked regularly what I do for work. I can see, if I say X, people will be very confused. I could say, "I don't work or I am retired."

You could say you retired as such-and-such (your career focus) and are now doing x in retirement because you like it.

Sunset, thank you for that thought. If I were only 2 years short of SS credit, it could work. Thing is, my job applies recent, perishable experience to a specific project, and I expect to be replaced by a full-time career employee in a few months (employers have been open about this). Although I might be able to extend my current gig into 2015 to earn $4,000.00, I can't come back in 2016-2021 for another $4,000.00 per year (especially since we are about 60% determined to move to another state). :blush:

I've tried to think of other options to work a few weeks a year for 7 or 8 more years, but nothing realistic has occurred to me.

Amethyst

Bit surprised that you had not earned any "quarters" sometime in the past. From teenage summer jobs, part time jobs in college, and my first job out of college, I amassed 39 quarters by age 26. Didn't earn the 40th quarter until I early retired from a government job at age 50.

Edit to add: Just re-read your original post and you addressed the issue that you only had 10 quarters earned in previous employment. My bad.

Last edited:
I worked summers throughout college, and almost 2 years in the private sector before getting my career job. Unfortunately, the college jobs involved working FOR the college (bookstore clerk, professor's assistant), and weren't subject to SS withholding. I'm not sure why not, since there also was no pension deduction, as there would have been for a "real" university employee.

Amethyst

Bit surprised that you had not earned any "quarters" sometime in the past. From teenage summer jobs, part time jobs in college, and my first job out of college, I amassed 39 quarters by age 26. Didn't earn the 40th quarter until I early retired from a government job at age 50.

Edit to add: Just re-read your original post and you addressed the issue that you only had 10 quarters earned in previous employment. My bad.

Interesting topic for me these days. I have been in a "trial ER" or "Intermission" for the last several months. I have truly enjoyed the freedom and the opportunity to spend time on personal projects and family. However, I also found that as time went on I could not fill all my time with those opportunities. So, due to some part time networking, I have accepted a contract position that will require me to work 8 weeks out of the next 22 weeks. Actually, during those weeks I will only be working M, Tu, W. The pay for time served is actually good and the work will be fun. Additionally, I am now getting more calls to look into other contract type opportunities. Not sure what will come of it, but if they seem fun and challenging I may pursue them.

What I have discovered about my self during the "trial ER" or "Intermission" is that I am not ready to fully disengage from the working world. On the other hand, I do not want to be working 60 hours a week and being on call 24/7. If I can find the right BALANCE of work, family and leisure that would be the right path for me. So, let's see what the next several months will bring.

Oh, I wonder if the average intermission of 29 months is skewed to include those that are SAHM or SAHD. It would seem logical because from my experience those people usually are out of the workforce for 5 to 7 years until the kids are old enough for pre-school. Thoughts?

Mostly retired in May, 2013. I still sell about six accounts that I've dealt with for many, many years and they are "easy" accounts. Takes maybe an hour a day on average so it doesn't really detract from my ER but it does pay for my diving habit!

Back
Top Bottom