Reordering Checks Online...you cannot be serious

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Yep...checks..remember those things?

Anyhow, I'm down to my last 25 checks since the last order, so I try to reorder through my bank. I go through the "add to cart" etc...until I press a continue screen...but the next screen doesn't come up? Or did I order and just not get a confirmation? Or was it my browser (Chrome instead of IE)? So, after trying about 5 times, either I've ordered one or ordered about 5 times?? Crazy. I think/hope nothing has gone though as I haven't received any email confirmations. Maybe online orders are only open certain times?

I think I'll just walk over to the branch tomorrow and hand in a reorder slip..like the good old days :blush:

I have been using sams club for check printing for years, very easy and cheap too. P.S. Don't pay for "expedited shipping" I never do , and the order seldom takes more than a week. I think the printing co. is in texas.

Last edited:
I have been working on the same box of checks for years. :LOL: I usually just take the reorder form to my bank's drive through.

They do not do a very good job, although it is any easy way to get checks. Last time my checks came with a phone number printed on them, that I have not had since 1999. Since I prefer no phone number at all, I just cross it out. (sigh)

Last edited:
We still go through a lot of checks :)frown:) USAA does not charge for the basic check, which is good enough for us.

Anyhow, I'm down to my last 25 checks since the last order, so I try to reorder through my bank. I go through the "add to cart" etc...until I press a continue screen...but the next screen doesn't come up? Or did I order and just not get a confirmation? Or was it my browser (Chrome instead of IE)? So, after trying about 5 times, either I've ordered one or ordered about 5 times?? Crazy. I think/hope nothing has gone though as I haven't received any email confirmations. Maybe online orders are only open certain times?
I've had browser issues that are similar. Also font size problems, where a tab doesn't show because the font I'm using is too large. I usually try IE once just to check.

Last edited:
Maybe you have a popup blocker enabled in your browser?
This happened to me and I figured out that was the problem.

Most banks simply send you to one of the few check printers, and that usually means your click on the bank's button opens up a new window from the printer.

Check your browser settings and see if that might be it.

I checked again this morning and it still looks like no order was placed. There was this 1 second splash screen that came up saying something like if an order didn't work, go and see your financial institution. I finally was able to read the splash screen by doing a quick screen capture. Sometimes there nothing like good old offline, I guess :blush:.

From a fellow check writer, I have had that happen, too. "You need to go over to the to the Dark Side, Luke...Internet Explorer".

I have noticed that TurboTax does funky stuff and I must use IE, with it, also.

One of the few benefits of my bank is I get free checks. They even know when I am running low and automatically send me another box in the mail without me having to do anything. Unlike many progressive people here on this forum, I am very much still a traditionalist and write probably 10 checks a month for bills. I would never do that at a store, however, for fear of being beat up for slowing down the line. :)

The one thing I discovered with reordering checks with those reorder forms is that the prices and quantity have expiration dates. When I was writing lots of checks back in the 1990s that wasn't a big deal. But once it started taking me 6 or 7 years to go through ~200 checks I have had to go through all the offers I saved up over the years just to find one which is still valid. And when I did, I received only 150 checks instead of 200 because the printing company had reduced its standard order recently (their website confimred this) and would not honor the 200 in my order. Still, $7.50 for 150 checks which will last me at least 10 years now is a bargain.

I've been a big user of the online bill pay service from my bank which means that the withdrawal rate from my original batch of 300 checks has been steeply declining. In 2011, I wrote three checks but it's been 19 months since I used one. When I opened the account almost 10 years ago I remarked that 300 checks seemed like a lot for an initial order, but they were free and the bank seemed to want to do everything the way they usually do, so I took them. At this accelerating rate, I expect the remaining checks to outlast me.

I remember being impressed years ago that my Grandmother's incrementing check numbers went to 5 digits because she had had her account so long. (I know you can request non-sequential starting numbers, but she never did.) With my first checking account years ago, I sometimes had merchants notice the low serial number of the checks and make comments about being a new account. Now my nearly decade old account has written well under 100 checks and may never go over that, no matter how long I keep it.

I walked over to the bank branch (just a 1/2 block away, in a grocery store) as handed over the reorder slip. Before leaving, I asked "How much?" and the teller said "At the bank screws you cost" I said, "Okay." Done deal.

Looking at when I last ordered, that was about three years ago (time sure goes by quick). I got two boxes this time so that should last longer.

Because of fear of identity theft, I think my state makes the process of not ordering from the bank a pain. I know when I tried last time, years ago...simple online ordering wasn't allowed. Yet, last night, since I got on through my bank's site, I'd think the order should have went through.

Oh well...until next time :blush:

What's a check :confused: LOL. At my bank if I make a payment to a vendor / person that is not on their automated list they write the check for me on their paper with their stamp. I haven't written a check in 3 years !

We joined Wells Fargo down here away from our Lo Cal bank. Burned through the 6-10 free checks from WF and then ordered some - but from Costco. $15? for oh, I don't know, a ream of checks? Now I'm trying real hard to view the closet full of Wells Fargo/Costco checks as a sunk cost. Awful hard to dump WF bank though - have to empty out the junk checks from the spare room, though it will be nice to have the room back.

Lets see - quarterly taxes state and federal * 2, Property tax checks for three counties, April 15 tax checks, lawyer... We probably go through as many as 25/year.

Lets see - quarterly taxes state and federal * 2, Property tax checks for three counties, April 15 tax checks, lawyer... We probably go through as many as 25/year.

Your checkwriting habits are a lot like mine. I use some method of auto-billpay for my monthly payments such as utilities and co-op maintenance charges. But for any less frequent payments such as income taxes, auto/health/homeowner insurance, and charities, I pay by check. Some of these payments are for fairly large amounts and I have someitimes used other checking accounts to pay them which is why I do not want them on auto-pilot. And all of these payments have long gaps between the billing date and its due date so I can pay them early enough and see with plenty of time before their due date if there is a problem.

Your checkwriting habits are a lot like mine. I use some method of auto-billpay for my monthly payments such as utilities and co-op maintenance charges. But for any less frequent payments such as income taxes, auto/health/homeowner insurance, and charities, I pay by check. Some of these payments are for fairly large amounts and I have someitimes used other checking accounts to pay them which is why I do not want them on auto-pilot. And all of these payments have long gaps between the billing date and its due date so I can pay them early enough and see with plenty of time before their due date if there is a problem.

+1

Hopefully you won't end up with several boxes of checks!

My dad was applying for the Citi AAdvantage card when they had the 75K mile sign on bonus last year and he though he was getting errors at the final screen.... Kept on trying though! He said he finally gave up after about half a dozen times. He got 3 cards in the mail a week later and a couple of letters saying this offer was for first time customers only. He did get 225K miles also after meeting the spend! :D

Use checks against the cash in our Schwab brokerage account. No check buying charge. No checking fee.

Back
Top Bottom