Replacement windows - best time of year?

daylatedollarshort

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We would like to get new windows, but will likely have to wait until some other remodeling work is done on our house. That puts us into winter season. While it isn't that cold here, it could be rainy.

Does that matter? Should we wait until the rainy season is over? We have 6 months here where it won't rain at all.

Unless it is pouring down torrential rains, seems like installers could adjust and mitigate for the short while any particular window opening would be at risk.

I guess it depends on how long or how slow the install project is. Sounds like a good question to ask of install companies---"How are you able to install without rain damage in rainy weather"?

Unless it is pouring down torrential rains, seems like installers could adjust and mitigate for the short while any particular window opening would be at risk.

I guess it depends on how long or how slow the install project is. Sounds like a good question to ask of install companies---"How are you able to install without rain damage in rainy weather"?

My concern with asking the installation companies is I think the answer will always be winter is fine, as that is probably their slow season and they could use the work.

My concern with asking the installation companies is I think the answer will always be winter is fine, as that is probably their slow season and they could use the work.

That may be. You could press them and ask "Just how, exactly, do you protect the opening from damage during rain?" Maybe this question, and the answers you get, might give you clues to who the competent knowledgeable installers are!

Sadly in this day and age I think you will get the windows when you get them and trying to plan ahead would be an exercise in frustration.

If you have a preferred window company you might try to get a good idea of their lead time which from everything I hear could be a long wait... and then it' the transporting and the installing...they should be able to work around weather issues.

I would get a couple of bids for immediate installation, then weep and wail about the cost and ask if the contractor could give me a better price if the work were done on his preferred schedule sometime in the next 6 months.

I would also consider that building materials have suffered huge inflation and availability problems. https://www.marvin.com/, for example, is out seven months. I know a builder whose favorite truss manufacturer has stopped accepting orders. This situation might cause me to push the project out a couple of years, hoping that things will have settled down.

If you're replacing old wood windows with "replacement" windows, these are generally made to fit inside the existing window casing. I replaced the windows in my in-laws house with this type. The window opening will only be open an hour or two at most, and won't require any changes to siding or trim. You just remove the interior stops, pull out the old window sashes, pop in the new unit, and reinstall the interior stops. However, you would still need to caulk around the exterior of the windows, which could be problematic in cold or wet weather.

If you're installing or replacing windows with flanges it would mean removing exterior trim, and potentially cutting back siding, flashing, etc. That's a much bigger job. While the opening still won't be open that long, it would leave parts of the wall vulnerable to water infiltration until it's all sealed up again. Not to mention complications with painting in cold and wet weather.

While there are ways of setting up tenting around the windows to work on them in bad weather, I would personally wait till summer unless it was an emergency.

I would get a couple of bids for immediate installation, then weep and wail about the cost and ask if the contractor could give me a better price if the work were done on his preferred schedule sometime in the next 6 months.

I would also consider that building materials have suffered huge inflation and availability problems. https://www.marvin.com/, for example, is out seven months. I know a builder whose favorite truss manufacturer has stopped accepting orders. This situation might cause me to push the project out a couple of years, hoping that things will have settled down.

New windows for an entire house for immediate installation, you might as well ask for world peace at the same time ...:flowers:

But I agree that if DLDS isn't in a big rush waiting awhile would probably be less stress inducing...

If you're replacing old wood windows with "replacement" windows, these are generally made to fit inside the existing window casing. I replaced the windows in my in-laws house with this type. The window opening will only be open an hour or two at most, and won't require any changes to siding or trim. You just remove the interior stops, pull out the old window sashes, pop in the new unit, and reinstall the interior stops. However, you would still need to caulk around the exterior of the windows, which could be problematic in cold or wet weather.

If you're installing or replacing windows with flanges it would mean removing exterior trim, and potentially cutting back siding, flashing, etc. That's a much bigger job. While the opening still won't be open that long, it would leave parts of the wall vulnerable to water infiltration until it's all sealed up again. Not to mention complications with painting in cold and wet weather.

While there are ways of setting up tenting around the windows to work on them in bad weather, I would personally wait till summer unless it was an emergency.

They aren't wood now, but most of our neighbors seem to do the inside install, not the kind where the stucco gets ripped out and he entire window replaced. And some of the windows have overhangs, so those would probably be less of an issue.

Old shooter, I laughed when I read your post. All the window companies I received estimates from said it takes 14-18 weeks to receive them.

You might want to start getting bids on the job.

I understand that the window fabrication business is backed up, and it may take quite sometime before you can be assured of a production slot for your new windows.

Old shooter, I laughed when I read your post. All the window companies I received estimates from said it takes 14-18 weeks to receive them.
Basic negotiating tactic, trying to send the message that the customer is real,not a tire kicker. You did read my second paragraph, right?

Edit: Actually the situation is quite fluid. The huge spike in lumber prices this spring had major effects on people's willingness to hold inventory, some terrified and some being very aggressive. Since then, though, the spike has passed and the results are rippling through the system. The effects on things like housing starts and consequently materials lead times are completely tbd.

Here is a page that shows the lumber situation. https://markets.businessinsider.com/commodities/lumber-price Price today for one contract is $495 vs over $1500 in early May. For some reason the graphs are screwed up on my computer but if I click on "3Y" I get a good graph that I can adjust with my scroll wheel.

Last edited:
We had 17 windows replaced with new. Took less than 2 days. Typically, the time there was "nothing" in the window was just a few minutes. The time was cutting out the old window and trimming out the new ones. I wouldn't worry too much about weather as long as the wind isn't blowing gale force (and I'm sure the installer wouldn't be working in a gale.) YMMV

We had 17 windows replaced with new. Took less than 2 days. Typically, the time there was "nothing" in the window was just a few minutes. The time was cutting out the old window and trimming out the new ones. I wouldn't worry too much about weather as long as the wind isn't blowing gale force (and I'm sure the installer wouldn't be working in a gale.) YMMV

Okay, good to know. Between your post and the several month backlog for ordering posts, it seems like it won't be a problem.

Thanks to all for the helpful replies!

We had 17 windows replaced with new. Took less than 2 days.

Mind sharing what the cost range was for 17 windows?

I have been considering downsizing, and wondering if I found a home I liked but which had older inefficient windows, what it might cost me for whole house window replacements with modern energy efficient windows.

Mind sharing what the cost range was for 17 windows?

I have been considering downsizing, and wondering if I found a home I liked but which had older inefficient windows, what it might cost me for whole house window replacements with modern energy efficient windows.

This would have been about 2000 and I think we paid about $9K. The company was a local (totally independent) - built in their own small factory. A couple of years ago, we asked them about replacing 1 window (a much smaller one) in the homestead (not where we replaced all the windows.) IIRC it was going to be close to $1K. SO, prices had sky rocketed by then.

This would have been about 2000 and I think we paid about $9K. The company was a local (totally independent) - built in their own small factory. A couple of years ago, we asked them about replacing 1 window (a much smaller one) in the homestead (not where we replaced all the windows.) IIRC it was going to be close to $1K. SO, prices had sky rocketed by then.

This was in HI, or in Cal? That does sound expensive. If i downsize, I guess I better find a newer house or a house already had its windows replaced!

I paid $3800 for a slider. But it was a custom with a dog door cut right into the glass so it didn't have a vertical seam. The dog door itself was $500, double flap. Original glass had to be removed (can't cut tempered glass) cut new glass and fit and then send for tempering.

Took a long time. But we now have a dog door w/o a panel so there is no permanent "dirty" area.

This was in HI, or in Cal? That does sound expensive. If i downsize, I guess I better find a newer house or a house already had its windows replaced!

Actually, it was in the midwest. I haven't priced but one single window since - and from the same company it was going to be double the cost for a much smaller window. My sense is that windows have gone way up in price. Others here will be of more help since their experience has been more recent. By the way, don't know about Cali, but windows in HI are outrageously expensive. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom