Retire on $500k?

With a $500k portfolio you will likely pay no federal tax and pay no tax on your SS benefits. This is a pretty big deal.

Also, your medical can be very cheap pre Medicare as you should be able to qualify for a subsidized silver plan with cheese (cost sharing).

Those two factors alone could make a $35k to $45k income go a long way.

Worked for us. No Income tax in the past 25 years, but came close a few times.

A side note to this, and other long term $$$ factors. Inflation. And even though the calculators incorporate this, a look at the actual numbers helps keep perspective. ie.:
Our retirement year was 1989. $100,000. then, equals $190,500. today.

This does not directly relate to the question about $500K, but knowing the effects of inflation may help in looking at the numbers from the past, and into the future. An example:
$1Million today, with an inflation rate of 5%, would equal $2.65 Million in 20 years.

All of this is meaningless, except that the dictates of the economy over time, are NOT average, but meaningful in the period where inflation or interest rates occur. So...
Over a 20 year span, while the average rate of return might be 5%... if the first five years was 10%, the 20 year total would be higher than if the last five years was 10%. In our case, the earlier years saw higher interest rates and housing inflation.

The second, but unrelated part of this, is that the later years are typically lower in spending, and beyond the "goods accumulation" period.

As a 36 year old, I just hit 500k savings + a little cash yesterday (and back down today). Very excited about that number, believe me. But @3.5% withdrawal, we are talking $17,500 a year.

Could I quit working, jump on ACA subsidy, downsize the house, and quit working? Yes. Would I enjoy it that life or feel safe during a downturn? Probably not.

As others have said, it's a different story to retire on $500 + SS or Pension. But just the 500k, it would be pretty frugal.

The article looks like it is referring to a normal retirement age, so 500k at 65 is very doable. My base expenses are 15k a year. 500k/15k = 33 times expenses. For a frugal type it could be done with 500k.

My living expenses are roughly $2k a month. Three percent of $500k is $15,000. So I couldn't retire on it, but it would let me ESR.

BEWARE! This is an unsupportable generalization.

Similar to my situation and I ran the numbers. I will have a high SS benefit. If I leave the assets in my TIRA, the MRDs and the Tax Torpedo will hit me hard and the survivor (after one of us dies) even harder.

We all knew this could happen but usually just live in denial until it becomes reality (the survivor scenario)! DW passed on 12/5/2014 and the financial impact is looming; after trying to deal with the more difficult emotional one.

OAG, deepest condolences for your loss.

The 75k was for happiness of workers, weird part I always found was that CEO's who make millions seemed pretty happy even though it was far above the 75K limit for workers :facepalm:

OTOH a, I saw a survey which indicated some of the happiest people are in impoverished third world countries so go figure.

Condolences on your loss, OAG.

I'm in the UK where things are more expensive than the US, I'm 52, property paid for (value about $600,000), savings of about $350,000 and pension if I take it next year worth about $40,000pa so by my calculations I could bail out in the summer. London is expensive but I could manage.

We all knew this could happen but usually just live in denial until it becomes reality (the survivor scenario)! DW passed on 12/5/2014 and the financial impact is looming; after trying to deal with the more difficult emotional one.
Understood.

I am sad for your loss.

OAG,

Deepest condolences on your loss. I hope you have a supportive group of folks (family, friends, church or other community) available to help you through this difficult time.

Last edited:
OAG, my heart goes out to you. Good luck as you make your way after this loss.

Ha

OAG, my sincere condolences on your loss. Please reach out to others as you go through your grief even if it's not something you would normally do.

My condolences, OAG. It's hard to lose a lifelong mate of 50 years. We have 35 years and counting.

OAG, so sorry to hear the sad news.

OTOH a, I saw a survey which indicated some of the happiest people are in impoverished third world countries so go figure.

There is a Netflix show on that topic called Happy. It has some interesting food for thought.

OAG, so sorry for the loss of your DW. I will keep you in my prayers.

I am retiring in the next few months with a lot less than 500K. But it is all in the location and expenses.

My only fixed costs are property taxes and water bill that is only ~ 100 dollars per year, everything else is variable cots.

I am hoping that my biggest expense will be my hobbies and fun money.

I do want to spent every nickel and dime that I managed to save.

I did not mean to Hijack the thread but I really appreciate the condolences and prayers. I have 4 kids and 10 G-Kids so I have a lot of support. Maybe as time goes by I will start a thread on my experiences. Again thank you all. The support I have experienced on this site all of these years has been most valuable to me and my family.

OAG, I just now saw this, so sorry to learn of your loss. I cannot imagine the pain.

OAG, condolences to you and your family.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom