Retire to Thailand?

This is stage 3 in HaHa's Domino Theory of Retirement.

First the Muslim nations were stricken off; next Venezuela, Bolivia and qualquier other parts south. Then yesterday we found out that not only does Bangkok have inexpensive beer, noodles and prostitutes, it also has military coups!

Soon even Texans will be heading up toward Kansas.  :p

Ha

HaHa said:
Soon even Texans will be heading up toward Kansas.   :p

Ha

Hell, the Texans have already taken over most of the small Colorado mountain towns. i.e. they're already as far north as the armadillos. :D

larry said:
Hell, the Texans have already taken over most of the small Colorado mountain towns.

Since we missed out on the big run-up in real estate values, we're investing in some future beachfront property.

REWahoo! said:
Since we missed out on the big run-up in real estate values, we're investing in some future beachfront property.
You and Lex Luther.

HaHa said:
. . . Soon even Texans will be heading up toward Kansas.   :p

Ha
Thank the gods they are heading North instead of West. We Arizonans are safe. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

------ Any Texan coming to Kansas, Please bring back my patio furniture. Wind here today, is 40 mph with gusts to 60. :LOL: It should be just north of OK City, by now!

I'll take my chances living here in good ole new york city. We live in the no bombing section.

Been thinking about this a lot the last few days. Here's the thing:

If you live in NYC, you have X% odds of being killed by a murderer or planes hitting buildings or a car wreck over 10 yr period.

If you live in Thailand, well, so far nobody has died in the coup, but your odds are X% of getting killed by a tsunami over a 10 yr period.

If you live in California, murder, car wrecks, earthquakes.

If you live in Miami, murder, car wrecks or hurricanes.

Costa Rica? Volcanos and earthquakes.

Ecuador? Earthquakes.

Panama? hmmm, probably the usual murder or car wrecks, but don't know the percapita numbers. Probably less than NY or LA.

Anyway, people die everywhere. It's probably way too easy for folks to be influenced by headlines when it is the mathematics that tell the tale.

rodmail said:
Anyway, people die everywhere.  It's probably way too easy for folks to be influenced by headlines when it is the mathematics that tell the tale.

No doubt you are correct. But you have to be sure you assign yourself to the right base population. This can be tricky someplace where you stand out like a sore thumb, and where Europeans in general and Americans in particular may not be super popular.

I am not saying that this is the case in Thailand. From everything I have read it is not. But governmental change involving the military can herald a "highly dynamic condition."

Ha

Anyway, people die everywhere. It's probably way too easy for folks to be influenced by headlines when it is the mathematics that tell the tale.

No doubt you are correct. But you have to be sure you assign yourself to the right base population. This can be tricky someplace where you stand out like a sore thumb, and where Europeans in general and Americans in particular may not be super popular.

Excellent point.

And one would think the Costa Rica or Thailand expat venues online would be focused on any evidence of lower life expectancy for Euro/American retirees than the general populace.

The local expats would certainly have kept track of this if there was any general feel of being more at risk. I haven't heard of any such thing, but maybe it's out there and I missed it.

OTOH, if it was known to be so, people would have left. A flurry of murders would have driven people away. Given that they are still there, must not have happened.

Back
Top Bottom