Retirement comes early for these 20-something RV-travelers

A couple of Minnesotans. These folks have a bit more guts than me, but it is certainly early retirement.

Senator... I can't wait till you're full time ER to see all the cool stuff you find!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

A couple of Minnesotans. These folks have a bit more guts than me, but it is certainly early retirement.

This was our original plan. Since were had been very familiar with state and National Parks, and during my final years of employment, and traveling country wide, my "off" times were spent in visiting public parks... we were very familiar with the do's and don'ts. Back in the mid 80's, overnight was $5 and w/electricity, another $2. The idea was to become campground hosts for weeks or months at a time when we found places we liked.
We could see our way clear to live on $20K/year, which we figured we could afford. (about $40K today).

We were 50 at the time, and the kids were through school. I had worked my way out of my job, as my last responsibility was to close 2400 stores. (after that... nothing)... Instead, I went into business for myself for 5 years, until the cancer scare.

It was really a toss up at the time. To be vagabonds, or to stay and finish building enough equity to retire normally. Ended up with not quite enough to be independently wealthy, but, have managed a happy, if frugal life.

At age 50+, there was always the mental safety cushion of being able to go back to the land of the employed.

Big part of all of this... My Dear Wife... who supported and went along with all this.

Back
Top Bottom