Retirement/Dream Home Suggestions

Talk to people from there area/climate about lessons learned. This is our first year spending the winter in st. George Utah. Living in the desert calls for completely different home orientation than our summer home in vermont (protect from vs let in the sun for example). Where to put outdoor spaces depends on not just the view but seasonal sun. Some people here have homes where their patio have a great view are uncomfortably warm even in spring and fall - probably unusable in summer. Also pay attention to prevailing winds for those spaces.

I would really focus on how to reduce exterior maintenance. this home was built with decorative pine awning that disintegrate after 10 years.

Given you are likely to be in wildfire country, plan plantings and buffer to protect yourself.

If you have significant snows, make sure architect plans for how snow leaves roof. We had a home in vermont that looked fantastic but metal roof funneled much of the snow right on the front walkway.

Enjoy the process!

We looked into the light. The sunset will be on the front of the house and patio will be in the shade.

No-threshold walk-in shower (doorless). Non-slip tile in the bath, shower, and kitchen. Hand rails in the shower, or at least ensure there are ready locations to install them later. All one level. Slide-out shelves for heavy kitchen appliances. Pool for low-impact exercise (lap swimming) - this is on my wish list! Automatic sprinklers and a yard service! No area carpets (my mom, at age 80.5, tripped and broke her pelvis because she tripped on an entry way carpet). Oh, I'd go for an automatic opening door from the garage for when your arms are full of groceries!

An idea I had many years ago and am happy to see "gaining traction"...

Laundry connected to master closet. If you are the only ones living in the house, I think this is a MUST. If there are others in the house, then maybe not the best location.

Only suggestion I have is in our kitchen we put the separate oven so that the oven rack is the same height as the countertop. Makes it easier and safer to transfer hot dishes.
We never liked separate ovens, and always opted for a range, but you make a good point. Bending is becoming less fun every year. :blush: Thanks.

We spec’d our current home while in our early 40s with retirement in mind. With what I know now: the electrical outlets would be higher. The walk in master shower would be without doors, roll in, with fixtures reachable from seating. No garden tub, it’s a pain to dust around. A seating area for dressing. (Currently I use steps to garden tub.) All commodes would be comfort height. Light switches in the bedroom would be placed reachable from both sides of the bed to control overhead light/fan and reading light. Add an extra outlet each side for medical equip. All the floors would be tile, minimum grout line. The pool would be more a lap style, zero entry maybe.

Things we got right that paid off biggest: microwave built in at kitchen island height. Master closet with all the builtins and fluorescent lighting. Exterior courtyard in the front of the house. The home’s exposure being north south.

These comments are made with the idea of aging in place.

Now if a dream home? For us add a 4th car bay of RV height/length, electrical hookups and exterior dump access. Have a RV pad outside the garage for company too. A/C in the garage...I better stop. One house from scratch was enough for this lifetime!

An idea I had many years ago and am happy to see "gaining traction"...

Laundry connected to master closet. If you are the only ones living in the house, I think this is a MUST. If there are others in the house, then maybe not the best location.

I was going to suggest this, too. Been looking for a new house for almost three years and came across this feature early on. Brilliant!

No ideas, but I will tell you one quick thing I have done that is really wonderful.

I have put a motion activated light under the bed, so when DW puts her feet on the floor in the middle of the night, a light comes on so she can see to walk to the bathroom. When she returns from the bathroom it pops on again so she can get in bed with light, then it automatically goes off.

No more fumbling around in the dark, risking a fall.

The one I have is battery operated, and cost about $8 , later I may replace it with one that plugs in and can adjust the "time on" setting to be longer.

A friend just remodeled her kitchen. Other than a lazy susan in the corner, ALL the lower cabinets are drawers.

I once had a U-shaped walk-in pantry. Room for all the large cooking pans, crock pot, waffle iron, serve ware, etc. . . . in addition to the food.

Just saw another house that had a longish laundry room that doubled as a butler's pantry with cupboards for glassware, counter tops, sink, extra dishwasher, security system hub. That's where she kept her blender for making smoothies. It may have had an under-counter fridge.

When retirees are pushing 70, it is time to prepare for later in life.
I'll be 70 in 57 days, and I feel like I am just about there (in my later years), already. :eek: Some of us age faster than others, oh well. Below is a photo of someone like me pushing 70, and as you can see 70 is pushing back.

Anyway, if we make our homes suitable for elderly and disabled occupants, then we are as ready for it as we can be. Don't worry about resale - - these adaptations that were done to my dream house by the seller, were a big "plus" from my point of view when I bought the house.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 24
No ideas, but I will tell you one quick thing I have done that is really wonderful.

I have put a motion activated light under the bed, so when DW puts her feet on the floor in the middle of the night, a light comes on so she can see to walk to the bathroom. When she returns from the bathroom it pops on again so she can get in bed with light, then it automatically goes off.

No more fumbling around in the dark, risking a fall.

The one I have is battery operated, and cost about $8 , later I may replace it with one that plugs in and can adjust the "time on" setting to be longer.

Good idea.

We have a roll of LED lights under the bed. It gives a lovely nightlight glow without shining in our eyes.

Try to avoid using an architect. My cousin is one and he designed our lake house. His suggestions cost us money--more than they were worth. (I think he is a frustrated artist of sorts.) There are thousands of great house plans available that can be modified to suit your needs--a big money savings. Southern Living Plans comes to mind.

We downsized to 3,350 square feet and then upsized to 5,200 square feet with 5 bedrooms and 5 full bathrooms for $60k more. My 26' x 47' man cave is ridiculously large with a 10' ceiling and high line trim. But 2 of our main floor bedrooms are too small. And toilets are all in separate rooms no wheelch,air could never get into.

My wife is suffering with tendonitis in a knee, and she needs surgery for midfoot arthritis that will put her immobile for 7 weeks each. I bought a lightweight wheelchair this week for a 2 week cruise to Europe and a driving tour of Ireland. When retirees are pushing 70, it is time to prepare for later in life.

If we don’t use an architect, we’ll probably have to find another builder and we really like the builder.

My dream home is a condo in a gated community, with a pool and weight room available, and someone doing all of the yard and pool work and exterior maintenance. Lock the door and travel, without worries!

Working closely with a good architect was the best decision we ever made! I also second the earlier suggestion of the Not So Big House. Great book.

I’ll also second many of the ideas already mentioned, such as NO carpets (we went with tile and concrete).
Drawers only below counter height, no cupboards unless unavoidable.

Even if you don’t yet drive electric or have solar, future proof now. A NEMA 14-50 outlet or two in the garage should have you covered for any future electric cars, or an RV.
Make sure any vents that penetrate the roof do so on the north slope of the roof. The flatter (minimize peaks and such) and unobstructed the south slope of the roof is the easier solar will be to add. If it fits with your aesthetics, slope the roof for maximum solar efficiency.

Most of all, have fun! This is an incredible experience. The more planning, the less surprises there will be. However, there are always going to be some ;)

Fireman friend of ours suggested we make all doors and hallways accessable with a gurney, so we did. Sure speeds things up if someone in a back bedroom, laundry room, etc needs to be wheeled out.
Built on a slab so no steps. When my Dad moved in with us, we didn't know even the little thresholds from a carpeted bedroom to a hardwood hall way would be a tripping hazard.
Shower heads are mounted six and a half feet up. I hated how spec home shower heads hit me right in the face. Now they rain down on me.
9' ceilings give everything a much larger feeling of space and ceiling fans are not at risk of getting smacked.
Run lots of wire for everything. You never know when you'll need a coax for cable in a spare bedroom.
You can NEVER have enough wall outlets. Place every 4' along walls. Don't forget lots of outside outlets too.
Wire for outlets at each corner of the house on a switch near the front door for plugging in Christmas lights. So easy! Have a second outlet for other stuff, like motion detection lights, security cameras, etc. Coax for wired security cameras all around outside perimeter is also a good idea.
We insulated every room in the house; ever wall and ceiling. Makes it very quiet! My dad plays his TV in his room very loud, but we barely hear it anywhere else due to the insulation. We can also close off rooms not used and save energy costs this way too.
Replace windows with doors. We have a door to the outside from our master bedroom and bathroom instead of just windows. The bathroom is especially nice to open the door when coming in from outside dirty or from the hot tub.
Wire for a hot tub. Even if you don't think you'll need it, might find another use later down the road.
Run drip irrigation anywhere you'll think you might have hanging plants. We have several along our covered porch and between the garage doors. All that concrete would have been impossible to route water later.
Run extra water lines and conduit under driveways and walkways. Later all you have to do is dig up each side to gain access for future projects.
Consider a gate for the driveway. Since I put mine in, things are a lot quieter and no one ever has tried to break in. Run wires of course for power. I didn't but was able to use solar and battery.
Insulate and sheetrock garage. I can't tell you how much I enjoy how much warmer, quieter and brighter it looks. When texturing sheetrock in the garage, use a very smooth finish. Normal 'orange peel' texture is a million little dust shelves in a garage. Seal the garage floor. It will look nicer longer. Add a window to garage to increase lighting.
If adding gas lines, run one to you electric meter for a propane, Natural gas generator. Run another for a bbq. So great to never run out of propane for the BBQ and the genny is always fueled.
Consider solar. A 5Kw system shouldn't cost over $16,000 and I haven't paid an electric bill in 3 years. Amatoized into the mortgage, it will just be a few buck more for payments.

Something that isn't done already to this house, that I will be thinking of in the next few years, is some way to open or close the blinds remotely instead of having to get up and do that when I am a billion years old. I'm sure there must be some way.

Hope this helps.

I am going to look seriously at this company's blinds through Costco: https://www.costco.com/Graber-Custom-Window-Coverings.product.100040959.html

They have a line of blinds that are built with Somfy motors which are probably the best you can get. They are battery operated and I believe come with a controller that you click to lower or raise the blind. I don't have one yet, so I can't tell you how they actually work. I had one blind in my last house that worked like these only it was pretty cheap, the motor was very noisy and it only lasted about 3 years. It was great while it worked. That window was above the entry door and about 12 feet off the floor at the bottom.

One thing that is very popular around my part of the Colorado mountains is a wood stove. They are really nice and cozy and fun to look at in the winter, but they are a lot of work to keep running with the soft woods available around here. It just takes a lot of stoking to keep the fire going. I am not talking about gathering, cutting, and splitting either. A lot of the homes around here are heated only with the wood stove. I would not recommend going that route, but a wood stove for enjoyment and emergency heat would be great.

I had a house built so all the tall windows faced south, and the long side of the house also faced south. The winter sun got into the house all day long. The dog loved it, I loved that dog. In the summer just the East and West ends of the house got sun (the short side of the house). No many windows on ends, so the house stayed cool in the summer.

Also had a large hill on the north west side of the house, kept the hot evening sun off west side of the house. The hill really protected the house from the winter storms! More than one tree on that hill took a direct lighting hit (house never did).

Back the the original post: Make sure the driveway is flat, but enough slope that rain water doesn't run into the garage! Lot of contractors building houses still get this wrong, repeatedly.

My suggestions:

Build it with Solar in mind. I went all electric and love it. Electric fireplaces too.

Build the doors wider / taller than normal.

Build hallways wider than normal for wheel chairs.

Build the shower / tub with old age in mind.

If we don’t use an architect, we’ll probably have to find another builder and we really like the builder.

Many home builders simply do not like working with architects. Our builders next went to build an incredible house on a 3 acre island. They felt guilty taking a salary while waiting on a Hilton Head architect to produce another stage of blueprints. They did spend a winter building a 150' arch bridge to the island. I bet the house is $3.5 million.

I have another friend that is the top residential architect in his very large state. His homes start at 10,000 square feet. He designed one 28,000 square ft. house and the blue prints were over 210 pages. That is a little overkill for most folks.

I am going to look seriously at this company's blinds through Costco: https://www.costco.com/Graber-Custom-Window-Coverings.product.100040959.html

They have a line of blinds that are built with Somfy motors which are probably the best you can get. They are battery operated and I believe come with a controller that you click to lower or raise the blind. I don't have one yet, so I can't tell you how they actually work. I had one blind in my last house that worked like these only it was pretty cheap, the motor was very noisy and it only lasted about 3 years. It was great while it worked. That window was above the entry door and about 12 feet off the floor at the bottom.

Thanks! I'll take a look at that link, too. Battery operated would probably be fine in my case since nothing is up high like that.

Many home builders simply do not like working with architects. Our builders next went to build an incredible house on a 3 acre island. They felt guilty taking a salary while waiting on a Hilton Head architect to produce another stage of blueprints. They did spend a winter building a 150' arch bridge to the island. I bet the house is $3.5 million.

I have another friend that is the top residential architect in his very large state. His homes start at 10,000 square feet. He designed one 28,000 square ft. house and the blue prints were over 210 pages. That is a little overkill for most folks.

The builder and architect specialize in the style and size we want. Frank Lloyd Wright ish, smaller, organic/natural finishes with clean lines, long overhangs. I don’t think forgoing the architect is even an option at this point. Also the plans must be complete before we close on the lot. That’s the deal.

Thank you to all who have posted. Lots of great suggestions. You all are invited over once it is done.

Me and the wife are also downsizing and building our final/ summer retirement home. I'm 53 she's 50. We close on our current home June 1, new home Oct 1. Reduced sq feet by half with a much smaller yard. Building a patio home with a bonus room above, for now it can be extra tv room with hideaway bed, main floor will be 2 br. This house will be a turnkey house. 3 Stall garage will be finished like a show room with epoxy flooring. The back yard will have a enclosed deck as well as stamped area for fire pit and hot tub. The home will be built on a small pond that cam be used for recreation. When we do retire we plan on wintering in AZ.

My suggestions:

Build the doors wider / taller than normal.

I get wider (for wheelchairs and gurneys), but why taller? I think you can still easily find a replacement door that is wider than typical, but I bet you'd run into trouble if it's higher.

We're not 'Dream House People', but a number of years back, waiting in a garage, we were talking to a guy, about 6'3", who had installed in his place a higher kitchen sink so that he could do dishes, etc, without screwing up his back.......at floor level was a pull out step that his wife could stand on so that neither would be uncomfortable using the sink.

Since there's an 11" height difference between DW and me, we thought that was a handy idea.

Back
Top Bottom