Rhubarb coming along nicely

How much space does it take to grow? We had a patch growing up. It was right over the septic tank and grew great!

For people with a propensity to have huge kidney stones, no precaution is too extreme. YMMV, and some people are outliers.

See this following post of mine, made almost 10 years ago. It's fun to look back at that thread and the related posts leading to it, and the ones following it.

Darn, 10 years already. Time goes by fast.

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...ay-2008-2015-closed-37868-106.html#post848278
Wow! I never have researched what a kidney stone looked like. I understand your response now. Lol

When I saw this thread title I thought it sounded like an exotic coded message...

The Eagle has landed.. rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubard!:)

Yum, rhubarb pie! I made it with only a 2/3 cup of sugar. It is still a bit tart, but that's why I like rhubarb.

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
We used to have a rhubarb plant, kept growing back year after year (I did not plant it, previous owners must have) but it died a few years ago. Not a big fan, will eat strawberry rhubarb jams and pie, if someone else makes it though!

Yum, rhubarb pie! I made it with only a 2/3 cup of sugar. It is still bit tart, but that's why I like rhubarb.
Looks great! My wife is making muffins and we also don't use but a fraction of the sugar recipes call for. Beautiful!

Love rhubarb. I refer to DW as the Jedi Pie-master! I love her rhubarb custard pie. Not fond of strawberry rhubarb. Completely agree with making pies with 1/3 to half the recipe's suggested sugar content. DW has been dialing back the sugar content for some time in all of the pies she makes and they are still loved and admired.

We have 6 large plants of different varieties scattered around the lot. All are splits from other people's plants. As a kid, we had a massive row in our massive garden and I can still remember eating the stalks along with a shot glass full of sugar!! Poor teeth!!

Last edited:
I loved it as a kid and young man. Now I consider it one of the foods that I wish I had never encountered.

Ha

^ most recipes call for a lot of sugar. We use 1/3 of the sugar they call for and is just as good with less.

We do the same with our rhubarb pie - I kinda like the tart taste. My birthday is next week, and DW says she is going to make me a rhubarb pie:) since the rhubarb in the yard has grown enough now that we can harvest some stalks. I love pie (of all kinds), but I only really eat pie these days on my birthday and at Thanksgiving.

When I was a kid we used to pull a stalk of rhubarb, wash it, and get a shot glass of sugar and dunk the end of the rhubarb into the sugar and then eat the raw rhubarb. It was a nice little treat!

Back
Top Bottom