Rick Steves tours --yes or no?

there's a couple refs to keen's sandals and smartwool socks
on the r steves site.

that's what i used on city streets travel walking @ 5+ miles a day
and that worked well for me. I actually used some columbia socks
that are very similar to smartwool but cheaper in price.

good socks are important in my opinion..

-mike

I have some Keen's but don't feel they are as comfortable for street wear as every pair of Ecco's that I have owned. Echos come in many styles, not clunky like Keens. :D

Omni, thanks for the report on using your RS book. I have heard that it is very popular now.

I traveled in Italy in my late 20s, staying in hostels, and was never alone, always had companions. I really wouldn't expect to hook up with fellow travelers at my age. So, that's another reason why I'm looking closely at group travel.

My experiences already with group travel have been mostly positive. I did have one nightmare roommate but after that opted for the single supplement. I have found that there are always at least a few people that I enjoy in the group, even if many of the others are jerks. And it's kind of fun for me to meet other Americans that I would very likely never have the opportunity to meet and talk with.

I wonder which shoes work best on cobblestones? They say not to wear white tennies to Europe unless you want to automatically be labeled a tourist.

Orchidflower,

All I can suggest is keep shopping until you find shoes that are comfy on your feet that provide cushioning and traction, as you'll be doing a TON of walking.

I did lot of shoe shopping/trying on prior to leaving on the trip. I even ordered a bunch of shoes from Zappo's (free shipping, both ways, BTW). What I ended up wearing 95% of the time were a pair of "BareTraps" I bought at Macy's, as they were quite comfortable for me. Plus they looked fine with both capris and skirts.

I couldn't find a picture of the exact style online, but they looked similar to these
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?view=2&app=detail&params=item^L5324,RecTypeInd^IOFFER,navlist^L5324*A198925*A91999*,cp^detail,tmp^related,cpprod^A199660,cm_scid^dtlr&walk=&cmtags=http://

I brought the dreaded tennies (mine are silver and gray) along as back-ups. LOL

I did notice that Europeans are starting to sport 'tennis shoes' --- but their styles are not the big, white marshmallows that are so popular here. Some of the Italian men were wearing very fitted styles of athletic shoes -- sort of like a race car driver's boot but made into a shoe might look like -- and often in wild colors like red or mustard yellow. They looked sort of like these Tecnica Subway PSH Shoes - Leather Casual Lace-Ups (For Men) - Save 56%

And their women's versions were similar ...and sometimes in silver or gold.

BTW, shorts are a big no-no in Europe -- they consider it beach attire. Every church & cathedral we visited had a sign prohibiting shorts and tank tops.

Interestingly, quite a few European men were wearing capris as casual wear ...and most of the tourist women were too!

Some tourists (males and females both) were wearing hiking boots. They would probably help with ankle support.

omni

I did notice that Europeans are starting to sport 'tennis shoes' --- but their styles are not the big, white marshmallows that are so popular here. Some of the Italian men were wearing very fitted styles of athletic shoes -- sort of like a race car driver's boot but made into a shoe might look like -- and often in wild colors like red or mustard yellow. They looked sort of like these Tecnica Subway PSH Shoes - Leather Casual Lace-Ups (For Men) - Save 56%

These shoes are very popular with urban men in the US also. They look a lot like Adidas from the '60s, or Onitsuka Tigers. In fact, some are Tigers. I think Asics bought the designs from Japanese Company Onitsuka.I remember wearing these in the 70s.

Ha

I have a pair of black shoes that look like that but DW doesn't like them. I saw them on sale in Spain a year ago and liked them. A little cooler than my regular running shoes.

there's a couple refs to keen's sandals and smartwool socks
on the r steves site.

that's what i used on city streets travel walking @ 5+ miles a day
and that worked well for me. I actually used some columbia socks
that are very similar to smartwool but cheaper in price.

good socks are important in my opinion..

-mike

Please, whatever you do, do not wear socks with sandals. This is not a look that is flattering. I have the keen sandals and wear them regularly for long walks (without socks of course), however I normally rotate them with my Vasque hiking shoes.

Please, whatever you do, do not wear socks with sandals. This is not a look that is flattering. I have the keen sandals and wear them regularly for long walks (without socks of course), however I normally rotate them with my Vasque hiking shoes.

haha- this is an old Puget Sound look. But then we are not known for our fashion sense.

It may be dorky, but it is very comfortable. Feet are easily chafed or blistered in sandals with bare feet.

Ha

I beg you, no matter how comfortable socks and sandals are, please do not wear them, they really do elevate the wearer to a level of dorkdom that it can be hard to recover from.

If your sandals rub at all, apply some of the Blister Block that comes in a roll on form, before you go out for the day. Truly it works a treat.

haha, man you are single and socks and sandals are not going to win over any of the gals. Expose the toes (assuming of course they are nicely presented), I think it gives the air of being younger and hipper.

I beg you, no matter how comfortable socks and sandals are, please do not wear them, they really do elevate the wearer to a level of dorkdom that it can be hard to recover from.

What, you think there aren't any girl dorks? It's a matter of knowing your target audience. :D

I like doing it that way. The keens i wear are basically shoes with some
slits in the side and an open heel. If this still doesn't meet your style requirements , my apologies in advance if we ever happen to meet :(

I wish I could wear sandals. Unfortunately, my feet get destroyed if I walk any distance without orthotics. So it is running shoes or hiking boots for me -- always with the orthotics. Smartwool socks and Blister Block might be a nice addition.

I wish I could wear sandals. Unfortunately, my feet get destroyed if I walk any distance without orthotics. So it is running shoes or hiking boots for me -- always with the orthotics. Smartwool socks and Blister Block might be a nice addition.
You may wish to check out either Teva or Naot sandals. Naot's come with a removable footbed to accomodate orthotics.

-- Rita

I like doing it that way. The keens i wear are basically shoes with some
slits in the side and an open heel. If this still doesn't meet your style requirements , my apologies in advance if we ever happen to meet :(

Look I will be the first to admit I am not a style guru, but it's a bit like ladies who wear pantyhose with open toe shoes, it's just a no-no, looks dreadful.

I would be more than happy to meet you at any time, just promise you will keep your feet under the table so I would not have to see them as I would find it very distracting.

Just wondering, for those of you who wear socks with sandals, have you checked how high up you are pulling your pants, as I have noticed that people who do wear socks with sandals usually look like their pants are pulled up to their armpits and are strangling them.

Look I will be the first to admit I am not a style guru, but it's a bit like ladies who wear pantyhose with open toe shoes, it's just a no-no, looks dreadful.

I would be more than happy to meet you at any time, just promise you will keep your feet under the table so I would not have to see them as I would find it very distracting.

Just wondering, for those of you who wear socks with sandals, have you checked how high up you are pulling your pants, as I have noticed that people who do wear socks with sandals usually look like their pants are pulled up to their armpits and are strangling them.

Stereotypist!

My pants are stylishly low, it's just that on cool but dry NW days sandals keep the feet nice and airy, and socks keep them nice and warm.

Anyway, it apparently isn't a universal turnoff. :)

img_944125_0_97dbebac02556cc5a9e7311ac0d52cf9.jpg

Gee, and to think I thought nobody would catch my question about shoes. Thanks folks for all the ideas I have to check out now.

HaHa, Birkenstocks are known as the shoe favorite of lesbians. I wouldn't be caught dead in them..haha! However, for guys, they're masculine and neat.
I know a gal who worked in an office in DC for years. Don't know what she did but she's degreed. Anyway, she tells how she "never fit in." Then she goes on to tell me she wore Birkenstocks everyday....in DC? In her office? Quelle surprise? Not.:rolleyes: What a dork...at least in my woman's world she would be.

I admit to wearing funky wool socks with sandals and jeans in the fall; I like warm feet and open toes and I think they look cute. And there's a reason "sandalfoot" hose were invented--gee, I wonder why they're called that.

Different strokes for different folks.

Back
Top Bottom