RIP David McCallum

disneysteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
David McCallum has died at 90. Star of Man from UNCLE and NCIS. We loved him.

Aw!!!! He played Illya Kuryakin in the TV series "Man from U.N.C.L.E."

I was a teenager at the time. I remember my girlfriends at school, and I, were all "ga-ga" over him, thought he was so handsome and cool.

Yes, he will be missed.

I was a teenager at the time. I remember my girlfriends at school, and I, were all "ga-ga" over him, thought he was so handsome and cool.

Yes, he will be missed.

I'm a few years younger, but ditto...

Reactions: W2R
Watched them all... Loved the show "then" but I don't care for the the re-runs now for some reason.

RIP Illya (David)...

RIP. I watched him on Man from U.N.C.L.E when I was a child. Didn't follow anything about him after.

Only found out now that he was on NCIS (I don't watch NCIS):

Actor David McCallum, known for his role on the long-running CBS procedural “NCIS,” has died, the network said in a statement. He was 90.

“He was the kindest, coolest, most patient and loving father,” his son Peter McCallum wrote in a statement from the family, provided by CBS. “He always put family before self.”

McCallum died of natural causes surrounded by his family at New York Presbyterian Hospital, CBS said.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/25/entertainment/david-mccallum-dead/index.html

I was a young teen watching this incredible show, better than anything I had seen to date in my time as a young television critic. I was a skinny little kid that so much wanted to be Illya Kuryakin. Better than Bond. RIP Sir.

Yes, he will be missed.

Really liked the show, but while the girls were ga-ga over him the guys were all watching Diana Riggs in "The Avengers".:dance::dance:

I'm just sad.
He had a pretty major role in "The Great Escape," too.
Illya Kuryakin. Partnered with Napoleon Solo. And I remember their boss' face, the old guy. Can't remember the name....

I just went looking: Leo G. Carroll.

Last edited:
I used to have a about a 6 inch wax figure of him as Illya Kuryakin. My brother had one of Napoleon Solo.

Man from UNCLE was so cool. The idea back then that the Russians (Ilya) and Americans were secretly working together was an interesting twist. A bit mind bending at the time. We used to play Man From UNCLE in our basement, pretending to be Solo or Kuryakin.

Read somewhere that at the time McAllum got the most fan mail than anyone in history at the time.

RIP David.

Diana Riggs could really throw a kick!

Really liked the show, but while the girls were ga-ga over him the guys were all watching Diana Riggs in "The Avengers".:dance::dance:

You people need to stop distracting me from the cool Russian turncoat agent in Man From U.N.C.L.E with thoughts of the incredibly hot, late Diana Rigg. Like Barbara Eden and Elizabeth Montgomery, she would be about my mother's age. ;)

You people need to stop distracting me from the cool Russian turncoat agent in Man From U.N.C.L.E with thoughts of the incredibly hot, late Diana Rigg. Like Barbara Eden and Elizabeth Montgomery, she would be about my mother's age. ;)

I think Bewitched was the best show on television.

I never watched any of the shows he was famous for, but for some reason, when you say "David McCallum" I still know exactly who you're talking about. The only thing I can really picture him in though, without googling it, was an Outer Limits episode called "The Sixth Finger."

Re: Diana Rigg...just to show how out of touch I can be, I remember when all the ruckus was getting raised about the new upcoming Avengers movie (the comic book superheroes one). First thing I said, dead serious, was "Who's playing Emma Peel?"

It's funny; that's another show I never really watched, except maybe a brief clip here and there. It wasn't one that really made it into reruns, at least in these parts. Still, somehow, I knew who Emma Peel was!

Last edited:
We watched NCIS last night and at the end of the show, they out up the graphic about him passing. we didn't realize last night that he passed yesterday. RIP David.

I wanted a Man from UNCLE spy kit. Never got one. Also wanted one of those big 3 foot long remote controlled (by wire) tanks. Never got that, either. But I did get a bunch of Matchbox cars.

with thoughts of the incredibly hot, late Diana Rigg. Like Barbara Eden and Elizabeth Montgomery,
You have a good eye... I'd only add a few hundred other actresses in that class.

Was he still working on NCIS?

I remember an earlier NCIS show where Gibbs was asked what "Ducky" looked like when he was younger.

And Gibbs replies:

"Illya Kuryakin"

Last edited:
Awe, I thoroughly enjoyed his Ducky character on NCIS, and watched Man from UNCLE as a youngster.

90 years young, May he Rest in Peace.

I was always fascinated by the loss of the Titanic. DM played a radio operator on the doomed ship in the 1958 movie: "A Night to Remember" That's the first time I became aware of him.

In the "Great Escape" I recognized DM's talent and followed most of his c@reer. I had a German teacher in University (DW who was dear GF at the time always sneaked into my section for extra practice and to ogle the teacher!) Our instructor looked so much like DM that DGF called him "Illya" behind his back.

All my heroes are leaving us. Rest in Peace, David McCallum.

Back
Top Bottom