RIP David McCallum

Those of you distracted by thoughts of Diana Rigg should know that McCallum and Rigg co-stared in a BBC miniseries.

I remember him from Sapphire and Steel with Joanna Lumley.

He was a very good actor. Enjoyed him way back on Man from Uncle and NCIS. I knew he was getting up there but didn't realize he was 90.

I was just a young lad at the time of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. series, but older siblings would watch it, and I remember thinking "Napoleon Solo" and "Illya Kuryakin" were cool names.

Was he still working on NCIS?

I remember an earlier NCIS show where Gibbs was asked what "Ducky" looked like when he was younger.

And Gibbs replies:

"Illya Kuryakin"
giggle.

Reminds me of Ernie Hudson, from Ghostbusters. He played the father of Gabrielle Union in L.A.'s Finest. The female cop-partner to G. Union was Jessica Alba. So, at one point near the last episode, the writers just had to work it into the script: they had Hudson ("Winston Zedimore" from Ghostbusters) ask off-handedly and rhetorically: "Ya. Who ya gonna call?"
I roared laughing.

I was just a young lad at the time of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. series, but older siblings would watch it, and I remember thinking "Napoleon Solo" and "Illya Kuryakin" were cool names.

Yeah, and I always assumed the "mix" of the two backgrounds was an attempt on the writers' parts to "normalize" USA/USSR relations. It didn't w*rk, of course, but was an interesting concept all the same.

giggle.

Reminds me of Ernie Hudson, from Ghostbusters. He played the father of Gabrielle Union in L.A.'s Finest. The female cop-partner to G. Union was Jessica Alba. So, at one point near the last episode, the writers just had to work it into the script: they had Hudson ("Winston Zedimore" from Ghostbusters) ask off-handedly and rhetorically: "Ya. Who ya gonna call?"
I roared laughing.

I wonder if someone has ever collected a list of these "shout outs" to other movies/TV shows/characters. I've seen a few over the years and have occasionally laughed out loud as younger folks sat there with no clue.

What do they call that - "Breaking the Fourth Wall?"

I wonder if someone has ever collected a list of these "shout outs" to other movies/TV shows/characters. I've seen a few over the years and have occasionally laughed out loud as younger folks sat there with no clue.

What do they call that - "Breaking the Fourth Wall?"

4th wall is talking to the audience via the camera.

Insider jokes are Easter Eggs.

4th wall is talking to the audience via the camera.

Insider jokes are Easter Eggs.
Cool! Now I know the NAME for such things.
Someone once showed me an "Easter Egg" of THIS scene from "The Big Lebowski." But it was on a tv series, and a young lady was involved, not a guy. I can't find it now. Maybe YOU'VE seen it?
https://youtu.be/HUPB4hMAbbY

Yes, breaking down the 4th Wall is when the pretend-set is demolished by actors speaking directly to the audience. It is also employed at the very end of the operetta, "Gianni Schicci." (Puccini.) And countless other instances, too.

Unless you just want to enjoy the duet-Aria, jump to 1:55, where it begins.
https://youtu.be/YhnT7NdUb48

Cool! Now I know the NAME for such things.
Someone once showed me an "Easter Egg" of THIS scene from "The Big Lebowski." But it was on a tv series, and a young lady was involved, not a guy. I can't find it now. Maybe YOU'VE seen it?
https://youtu.be/HUPB4hMAbbY

Yes, breaking down the 4th Wall is when the pretend-set is demolished by actors speaking directly to the audience. It is also employed at the very end of the operetta, "Gianni Schicci." (Puccini.) And countless other instances, too.

Unless you just want to enjoy the duet-Aria, jump to 1:55, where it begins.
https://youtu.be/YhnT7NdUb48

The classic "4th Wall" film is Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

The classic "4th Wall" film is Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

Or "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" (the first time I was aware of it, but it's been done earlier). Maybe the first time on a TV series?

-ERD50

giggle.

I roared laughing.

I kinda got distracted at "Jessica Alba"... ;)

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom