RIP Gary Brooker

Wow, I had not heard this. A Whiter Shade of Pale (or AWSOP as it's known among the Hammond Organ forums) is just etched in my memory. I've played (a poor version of it) on my keyboard set up (a B3 'clone') and my older console organ set up, probably hundreds of times over the past decades.

Here's an interesting version of WSOP with analysis, and a link to the full performance. And while this is very interesting, of course the original is "it". The commentator notes how the voice is as great in 2006 as it was when this came out, ~ 40 years earlier.

RIP

RIP, thank you for sharing. For me the band epitomized the hammond B3 organ sound of the era. I see those organs for free and wish I had room for one, the nostalgia is strong.

RIP. PH was a great band. Brooker and Robin Trower were in early version of PH.

Whiter Shade of Pale was supposedly one of John Lennon's favs.

Conquistador was probably mine.

Yes, Conquistador was another with that special sound.

And while that version with the orchestra is fantastic, I also like (not better/worse, just different), the stripped down band version. :

Man, I'm going to have to go back through that album, and some of the other old Procol Harum stuff. Robin Trower added some great guitar sounds as well, Outside the Gate of Cerdes comes to mind, and wow, how the Hammond organ(Matthew Fisher) and Gary Brooker's voice just punches through!.

-ERD50

Sad to learn about his death. He was a shining star in the band. Whiter Shade of Pale and Conquistador are etched in my musical memory. And, 76 is way too young.

-BB

A Salty Dog holds up as an album many years later. This track was one of my favorites.
https://open.spotify.com/track/3W0zezKaproPQzVYUpJ0oh?si=95f734b5c21d4964

Gary Brooker – lead vocals, piano, celeste, three-stringed guitar, bells, harmonica, wood recorder, orchestral arrangements
Robin Trower – lead and acoustic guitars, lead vocals, sleigh tambourine
Matthew Fisher – organ, lead vocals, marimba, rhythm and acoustic guitars, piano, recorder, orchestral arrangements, production
Dave Knights – bass
B. J. Wilson – drums, conga drums, tabla
John "Kellogs" Kalinowski – bosun's whistle, refreshments
Keith Reid – lyrics

Side note: I bet this thread would have got more attention if it included "Procol Harum band member" in the title. Us fans know immediately, but I'd bet many don't make the connection.

Last night, I logged into my Qobuz streaming service, started listening to the Procol Harum's albums in chronological order. And looking up the lyrics (AWSOP almost sounds logical compared to some others!). The UK version (which I selected, unaware of it) of the LP does not include AWSOP!

Then on a lark, I searched for AWSOP, to hear other versions of it. I already had Joe Cocker's (just so-so) and Herbie Mann's (flute - pretty interesting) in my collection. Most were blah, even some I expected to be good. Willie Nelson's is good, he brings something fresh to it w/o being different just to be different. Percy Sledge was worth listening to, Blues Evolution, King Curtis, Wayne Sharp pretty good. Santana had a version - surprisingly, I really didn't like it. In the oddball side, Blue Mountain Pan Pipe Ensemble was worth a listen. I thought I'd like the Paul Winter Consort doing it, but blah. Temptations a disappointment.

I've listened to AWSOP so many times, and one thing that always disappointed me was it fades out. I generally consider a fade-out as "cheating" - bring the song to a real ending! Well, imagine my surprise ('...thought I'd left it at home"! ;) ), I think it is the UK release, has an actual ending (it's over a minute longer, I think they also throw in one more of the organ Bach-like lines)! What's kind of funny is, their ending is almost exactly the way I end it when I play it for myself, he does add in a measure or two of Bach-like improvisation that I'll do from now on. I feel at peace! :)

And there is also the interesting story that Matthew Fisher, the organist who came up with the iconic Bach-like intro line, wanted, but was denied songwriting credits at the time. For some reason, he didn't get around to suing until 2005. He won, but that judge denied him any royalties/damages because of waiting so long. That was overturned, and he got 40% going forward from 2005 on (a justifiable compromise, IMO).

-ERD50

Side note: I bet this thread would have got more attention if it included "Procol Harum band member" in the title. Us fans know immediately, but I'd bet many don't make the connection.

Last night, I logged into my Qobuz streaming service, started listening to the Procol Harum's albums in chronological order. And looking up the lyrics (AWSOP almost sounds logical compared to some others!). The UK version (which I selected, unaware of it) of the LP does not include AWSOP!

Then on a lark, I searched for AWSOP, to hear other versions of it. I already had Joe Cocker's (just so-so) and Herbie Mann's (flute - pretty interesting) in my collection. Most were blah, even some I expected to be good. Willie Nelson's is good, he brings something fresh to it w/o being different just to be different. Percy Sledge was worth listening to, Blues Evolution, King Curtis, Wayne Sharp pretty good. Santana had a version - surprisingly, I really didn't like it. In the oddball side, Blue Mountain Pan Pipe Ensemble was worth a listen. I thought I'd like the Paul Winter Consort doing it, but blah. Temptations a disappointment.

I've listened to AWSOP so many times, and one thing that always disappointed me was it fades out. I generally consider a fade-out as "cheating" - bring the song to a real ending! Well, imagine my surprise ('...thought I'd left it at home"! ;) ), I think it is the UK release, has an actual ending (it's over a minute longer, I think they also throw in one more of the organ Bach-like lines)! What's kind of funny is, their ending is almost exactly the way I end it when I play it for myself, he does add in a measure or two of Bach-like improvisation that I'll do from now on. I feel at peace! :)

And there is also the interesting story that Matthew Fisher, the organist who came up with the iconic Bach-like intro line, wanted, but was denied songwriting credits at the time. For some reason, he didn't get around to suing until 2005. He won, but that judge denied him any royalties/damages because of waiting so long. That was overturned, and he got 40% going forward from 2005 on (a justifiable compromise, IMO).

-ERD50

ERD, the song's appeal was all about the voice to me.

Here's one where the band rocks out a little more. Gary had some stellar bandmates, Robin Trower and drummer BJ Wilson at the top of the list (although I don't think Wilson was in on AWSOP).

A Salty Dog holds up as an album many years later. This track was one of my favorites.
https://open.spotify.com/track/3W0zezKaproPQzVYUpJ0oh?si=95f734b5c21d4964

Gary Brooker – lead vocals, piano, celeste, three-stringed guitar, bells, harmonica, wood recorder, orchestral arrangements
Robin Trower – lead and acoustic guitars, lead vocals, sleigh tambourine
Matthew Fisher – organ, lead vocals, marimba, rhythm and acoustic guitars, piano, recorder, orchestral arrangements, production
Dave Knights – bass
B. J. Wilson – drums, conga drums, tabla
John "Kellogs" Kalinowski – bosun's whistle, refreshments
Keith Reid – lyrics

That was a great one. But what an album: "The Devil Came from Kansas" may be my favorite, but it's hard to pick. This may be my runner-up.

That was a great one. But what an album: "The Devil Came from Kansas" may be my favorite, but it's hard to pick. This may be my runner-up.

Yeah. When they went full rock and soared with the guitar of Robin Trower, they got my attention.

This tribute just popped up in my email, from an Aussie organist with mad skills (and a clavinet with a whammy bar).

-ERD50

Exotic Birds and Fruit my fav. album. Nothing but the Truth, and the Idol.
The mic test at the beginning of Nothing is worth the price of admission.

The band gets a little bluesy on its underrated Ninth album. Leiber & Stoller (of Coasters and Presley fame) produced.

Back
Top Bottom