RIP Jeff Beck

I just saw this on Eric Clapton’s Facebook page.
Like a dagger through my heart.
RIP Jeff.

What an awesome gifted master of the guitar. Got several of those old big black CDs with his talent recorded.

I only saw him in concert once 40 years ago, but recent videos show him playing with just as much innovation and liveliness. Nobody did it better. Thanks for 60+ years of great music.

I saw him in 1976 as an opening act for Fleetwood Mac. I didn't appreciate his music at the time, but now totally admire.

So many of my heroes are departing this life. RIP Jeff Beck. Your contributions will not be forgotten.

Oh man, what a great one. Always liked his stuff from day one, but watching videos the past few years on Youtube gave me such a deeper appreciation of his abilities.

Just watch the many ways he approaches the guitar. Different fingering, 'playing' the volume control, the dynamics - soft, loud, varying techniques in each phrase, the bends (string bends and whammy bar combined), vibrato, never boring. He just masters it all, and does it all so musically.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Sad. I did not get into Jeff Beck until his "Blow by Blow" and "Wired" albums, which caused me to look back at his previous work. RIP.

Another great example of his creative approach to guitar on Stevie Wonder's "Cause We've Ended As Lovers". Also notice the respect he shows the band-mates.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/jeff-beck-stevie-wonder-cause-weve-ended-as-lovers

Wonder wrote Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers for his wife Syreeta, but gave it to Jeff after Motown Records insisted Stevie record Superstition himself, a track he’d actually composed for Beck. Wonder had penned it as a thank-you to Jeff for playing on his 1972 album Talking Book.

“The idea was that I was going to guest on his record and he was going to give me a song in return,” said Beck. “Stevie gave me [Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers] as an apology for releasing Superstition first. He wrote [it] for me, but the record company had the power to prevent any other record coming out and they said, ‘This is a number one smash: Beck doesn’t get this’.”
The emotion is just off the charts for me:

And this is nice write up - an interviewer describing how down to earth Beck was:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...ff-beck-guitar-hero-appreciation/11035767002/

I see they say his death was due to a sudden case of bacterial meningitis, which made some sense to me, in fairly recent videos he always looked very healthy for a guy his age. He apparently led a pretty clean life-style and stayed in shape. Jeff Beck dead and Kieth Richards still alive? What a bizarro world!

RIP -ERD50

RIP Jeff Beck. He died suddenly from bacterial meningitis.

Rock veteran and Grammy-winning guitarist Jeff Beck died aged 78 after “suddenly contracting bacterial meningitis”, his family announced on Wednesday.
A statement posted to Twitter and Instagram read: “On behalf of his family, it is with deep and profound sadness that we share the news of Jeff Beck’s passing.
“After suddenly contracting bacterial meningitis, he peacefully passed away yesterday. His family ask for privacy while they process this tremendous loss.”
The chief executive of charity Meningitis Now, Dr Tom Nutt, said the shock news was a reminder about the “devastating” disease and its ability to affect any age group.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/meningitis-illness-jeff-beck-contracted-071708359.html

Was he a heavy drinker? I've read that alcohol abuse is a risk factor for bacterial meningitis.

Had to add this one. Rick Beato (fantastic musician, producer, professor) did an analysis video just 3 months ago after attending a Jeff Beck concert the night before. He really points out all the subtle things that Beck did to bring out each phrase, and how they all connect in a true musical way, not just flash guitar playing:
-ERD50

And Rick Beato's live tribute to Jeff Beck, streamed 18 hours ago (with Tim Pierce, and amazing guitarist who also provides great analysis on YouTube):

-ERD50

I saw him years ago. He blew our minds and we left with mouths hanging open. A mind altering guitarist. RIP.

Also notice the respect he shows the band-mates.

Absolutely. The mark of a great talent like Jeff Beck is their willingness to share the spotlight. The young bassist who soloed in that rendition of "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" was outstanding.

Absolutely. The mark of a great talent like Jeff Beck is their willingness to share the spotlight. The young bassist who soloed in that rendition of "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" was outstanding.

I guess he had seen his share of spotlight, and was comfortable enough to not crave more applause. Of course, he got applause anyway. :D

I think I've seen that curly hair female bass player in videos with Metallica and others too. She is very good.

Saw a special on JB a few years back. He was passionate about cars as well as guitar. He had his own shop, built/rebuilt his own cars, drove his cars, etc.

I appreciate "passion" in just about any form and Jeff Beck was a passionate man. Again, RIP, JB.

Another great example of his creative approach to guitar on Stevie Wonder's "Cause We've Ended As Lovers". Also notice the respect he shows the band-mates.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/jeff-beck-stevie-wonder-cause-weve-ended-as-lovers

Wonder wrote Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers for his wife Syreeta, but gave it to Jeff after Motown Records insisted Stevie record Superstition himself, a track he’d actually composed for Beck. Wonder had penned it as a thank-you to Jeff for playing on his 1972 album Talking Book.

“The idea was that I was going to guest on his record and he was going to give me a song in return,” said Beck. “Stevie gave me [Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers] as an apology for releasing Superstition first. He wrote [it] for me, but the record company had the power to prevent any other record coming out and they said, ‘This is a number one smash: Beck doesn’t get this’.”

Here is Jeff Beck with Stevie Wonder, playing Superstition. Terrific.

I came across this tribute to Jeff by Tommy Emmanuel today. Very nicely done by one guitar master to another...

I came across this tribute to Jeff by Tommy Emmanuel today. Very nicely done by one guitar master to another...

Thanks, very moving tribute. Such a different style/approach, but Tommy Emmanuel is another who knows how to bring emotion to the song. and not just a flurry of notes.

Here is Jeff Beck with Stevie Wonder, playing Superstition. Terrific.

I came across that one as well. Both Beck and Wonder are out-of-this world, but I'm kind of glad that Stevie Wonder's management held Superstition back for Stevie, instead of giving it to Beck. As great as Beck is, to me, that is a Stevie Wonder song. I don't think it would be as well known today if it was done by Beck originally.

I have that same model Clavinet. I'm not a very good player, and even when I can hit the notes right, it doesn't sound anything at all like the way Stevie does it - on the 'funky' scale of 1 to 10, my playing is a negative 45! :(

I guess he had seen his share of spotlight, and was comfortable enough to not crave more applause. Of course, he got applause anyway. :D

I think I've seen that curly hair female bass player in videos with Metallica and others too. She is very good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tal_Wilkenfeld

Yeah, she's great. I can hardly believe she started playing guitar in 2000 at 14 YO, and was playing with Beck just 7 years later.

-ERD50

I guess I know him mainly from radio play of Blow by Blow, specifically Cause We've Ended As Lovers. Wonderful tune. Need to re-listen to some of his albums to see if any other songs jog my memory...

I guess I know him mainly from radio play of Blow by Blow, specifically Cause We've Ended As Lovers. Wonderful tune. Need to re-listen to some of his albums to see if any other songs jog my memory...

While you’re going through the albums, if you have Talking Book by Stevie Wonder you can find a tune “Looking For Another Pure Love” that features Jeff Beck. It’s a pretty complex tune (I think) but Beck handles it with ease.

[ADDED] I (and I suppose a lot of people who only know the Beck version) never realized that “Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers” has lyrics.

https://genius.com/Syreeta-cause-weve-ended-as-lovers-lyrics

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom