RIP Jimmy Buffett

There are quite a few artists we’ve paid to see once or twice, but JB is only artist we paid to see in concert at least a half dozen times just for the fun of it. I wore a Buffett shirt playing pickleball this morning in memory…

Last edited:
I searched until I hit the end of the internet, I didn't find TWIHWYWB, what does it stand for?

In a dusty corner of the internet I came across "The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful". Could that be it?

Oops, I see it was posted a few minutes ago.

Had never seen Jimmy until last fall in Vegas.

The concert was feel good and pretty bland.

But watching the giddups all the Parrotheads wore was worth it. Most people I talked to had seen him 10-20 times before. A very fun “cult” following.

Rest in Peace, Mr Buffet! Loved your music.

First date for the Gal and I was a Jimmy Buffet concert up in Portland - 45 years ago. Couldn't hear her at the concert and weren't done talking when we got back, been together since. Thanks Jimmy!

First date for the Gal and I was a Jimmy Buffet concert up in Portland - 45 years ago. Couldn't hear her at the concert and weren't done talking when we got back, been together since. Thanks Jimmy!

That's sweet :)

My condolences to his family, friends and fans. I did enjoy some of his music myself.

My HS girlfriend was nuts about him, so I saw him and band perform in the Savannah Civic Center circa 1983, mostly to spend time with her, when I was 17. It was a good show and all ages, compared to the rock shows I gravitated toward at the time. I liked explosions on stage but this barefoot guy had palm trees and ceiling fans. What the? I remember watching him thinking the band was middle aged but still pretty spry. Lol. Teenager perspectives.

That was 40 years ago! Buffett was just 36! Jeez. RIP Jimmy Buffett.

PS Calmloki, the magic didn’t work for us! [emoji41]

Last edited:
“You know Death will get you in the end, but if you are smart and have a sense of humor, you can thumb your nose at it for awhile”
― Jimmy Buffett, A Pirate Looks at Fifty

I think Forbes pegged it at right around $1B earlier this year. Looking for confirmation…

Yeah, that's what I'm hearing all over the web and on TV news.

I recall a "Sunday Supplement" article on JB. He was not complaining at all about his c@reer so far (IIRC - he was about 40 at the time) but he wished that he had (again, IIRC) $50K to just sail around the world or some such.

I have thought many times since that he fulfilled his desires and much more. Of course, leaving the world worth a billion dollars is still leaving the world. I wish he'd had time to enjoy more of it - though I sense he enjoyed every moment. RIP, JB.

In a dusty corner of the internet I came across "The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful". Could that be it?

Oops, I see it was posted a few minutes ago.

Yeah, this JB song and several others helped me hang on before I was FI.

Blessings on your new adventure, JB.

I think he made the margarita a "thing" and probably spurred interest in Mexico.

I remember sitting in an open bar by the marina in Key West and thinking "This is a JB kind of place!"

I think he made the margarita a "thing" and probably spurred interest in Mexico.
Certainly not in Texas, maybe in the rest of the country. Frozen margaritas have been a big thing here since before JB wrote that song, and a staple of TexMex restaurants, many of which had a frozen margarita machine. In fact the song was been inspired by a visit to an Austin TX Mexican restaurant. https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aus...arita-inspired-jimmy-buffetts-margaritaville/

Last edited:
I came to appreciate his music quite late in his career. But I definitely admired his lifestyle. I've got most of his albums now, but I've never made it into a Margaritaville. Every time I've tried they've been too busy to mess with. They're building a new one a few miles from us in Ocean City MD. I think it's supposed to be finished next year.

From what I understand, he passed peacefully. Good for him. Hope I get that lucky. RIP Jimmy.

I'm rolling through his early work today - 70's-early 80's.

Before he became "Jimmy Buffett" he was quite a songwriter. Heartfelt lyrics about close relationships, life events, one-off relationships, and romanticized versions of historical figures. I've missed that aspect of his work for decades, but it occasionally showed up later.

Very sad he is gone. I've found a lot of comfort, humor, and wry smiles in his music over the years (Grapefruit Juicy Fruit comes to mind:)) Lucky to have seen him years ago and my Parrothead friends are crushed.

Rest in peace, thank you for making my life more enjoyable.

RIP Jimmy! Having a boat drink, wearing a flower lei and loud aloha shirt with parrots on it and listening to Jimmy on Spotify for the evening.

Going to one of his concerts was on my bucket list. I had to scratch it off today...and not for the right reason.

Certainly not in Texas, maybe in the rest of the country. Frozen margaritas have been a big thing here since before JB wrote that song, and a staple of TexMex restaurants, many of which had a frozen margarita machine. In fact the song was been inspired by a visit to an Austin TX Mexican restaurant. https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aus...arita-inspired-jimmy-buffetts-margaritaville/

I have never been a big drinker nor a bar fly, but the first time I read Margaritaville I instantly knew what drink he was talking about.

I do wonder how many young people know how he cut his heal on a pop-top. I remember those nasty razor like metal pulls.

One of the big disappointments of many visitors to Mexico is that they do not offer Texmex. They have some great alternatives but a nacho plate is almost certainly going to disappoint.

I think Forbes pegged it at right around $1B earlier this year. Looking for confirmation…

This does not surprise me based on the stories of his commercial exploits I've been hearing from people in the know.

I'm reading lots of sweet stories around memories from his many many concerts. Stories like @calmloki above.
That is a big part of his legacy, he brought the music to the fans.

So Sad, Just read the Jimmy Buffet died of skin cancer. Everyone please wear a hat and sunscreen, stay out of the sun as much as you can and get checked out by a dermatologist at least once a year.

So Sad, Just read the Jimmy Buffet died of skin cancer. Everyone please wear a hat and sunscreen, stay out of the sun as much as you can and get checked out by a dermatologist at least once a year.

Just read that too. He had a rare but aggressive form.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom