RIP Johnny Crawford - the Rifleman’s kid

grew up watching the Rifleman. Thought Jonny Crawford’s character was a bit to wimpy, but really liked his Dad, Lucas McCain - The Rifleman.

He may have been my first TV crush!

I remember watching The Rifleman with my Dad. He was into the story and the characters. I was watching the horses and the son.

I tried never to miss the show. Mark (Johnny) was only a year old than I. My favorite episode had Sammy Davis Jr. doing his utterly amazing gun handling. I was as much in awe as Mark seemed to be in the show. YMMV

I tried never to miss the show. Mark (Johnny) was only a year old than I. My favorite episode had Sammy Davis Jr. doing his utterly amazing gun handling. I was as much in awe as Mark seemed to be in the show. YMMV

When TV was worth watching.:cool:

Bummer. I had the plastic version of the Rifleman rifle with the loop lever. I practiced the signature flip-cock so many times until I had bashed the thing to pieces.

Wonder why he wasn't vaccinated (if he wasn't).

I still watch episodes of The Rifleman and Gunsmoke in re-runs. As they say, it is "must see tv"

So for many years .. even after 2010 .. there was that "talk" and "plan" to revive the Rifleman either as a limited TV series or a TV movie .. with Johnny (Mark) as the new Rifleman .. kept on waiting .. and it never happened. 'sigh' Now he's gone.

When TV was worth watching.:cool:
Depending on your reception. Until the late 1960s, around 1967 on, we had a simple B&W set that got perhaps no more than five channels, often with some static. Color cable TV, when we could finally afford it, was a god-send.

Mom bought our new color TV set at the local Firestone Tire store. Yep, that's true--at the tire store. Besides the TV, it had a nice record-player and stereo speakers built-in. That TV-stereo cabinet remained in the family for decades. I listened to tons of music, that I still love today, on that piece of furniture.

Last edited:
WOW! I just watched a little of the Rifleman today when I got home. Westerns all day on Saturday. I the winter I get saddle sores watching so many westerns. Lol

Sorry to hear about the news. He will live on for many years to come, on the rifleman thou.

RIP, Johnny.

However, I must admit that I thought his character Mark was the whiniest, most helpless kid on TV. I used to wish Chuck would just tell him to rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

Bummer. I had the plastic version of the Rifleman rifle with the loop lever. I practiced the signature flip-cock so many times until I had bashed the thing to pieces.

Wonder why he wasn't vaccinated (if he wasn't).

Can't believe my dad actually bought me (with my money) a lever action .22 from Sears (J. C. Higgins) during the run of the show. It was quite different from the Rifleman rifle, but it WAS lever action which is what I wanted. I learned to empty the tube magazine very quickly indeed. I finally broke the firing pin sometime when I was in my 20s. By then, I'd outgrown the "phase" (thankfully.) That rifle was one of the items we sold at auction as we were leaving for the Islands. I made money on it! (Heh, heh, if you don't count inflation, anyway.)

Good memories are flooding back - thank you Johnny and RIP.

The Rifleman is my "go to sleep" show every night. There are 5 seasons on youtube through filmrise. Lucas is a good father and Mark tries his patience on many occasions. RIP Johnny(Mark McCain).

It is a bit bizarre how many long-running TV shows of the 1960s we kids watched that had motherless households: Bonanza, The Beverly Hillbillies, My Three Sons, The Andy Griffith Show, The Rifleman, Family Affair and ...?

The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Flipper (I think).

And we can't forget Jonny Quest!

And I don't know if Grandpa counts, but if so, The Guns of Will Sonnet.

Last edited:
How about single moms? The first I can recall is Julia (starring Diahann Carroll) in 1968.

Guns of Will Sonnet, hey that's another great show I never missed.

No brag, just fact.

How about single moms? The first I can recall is Julia (starring Diahann Carroll) in 1968.

The Lucy Show 1962. First show to have a regular character who was divorced too. Lucy was the widow, Vivian Vance was divorced but it was mentioned only occasionally for "moral" reasons.

I too had a crush on him too

I most enjoyed his music. His early stuff and then his big band stuff. I play his cd sweeping the clouds away

I barely remember The Rifleman. That clip of Sammy Davis Jr was amazing.

My wife and I watch the Rifleman on METV fairly regularly. I thought Johnny (Mark) was a pretty good horse rider as a boy!

Our favorite is Gunsmoke, and then Bonanza. I like wanted dead or alive.
I remember liking 'Branded' also, but haven't seen it since I was a kid.

Johnny Crawford was also one of the original Mousketeers on the Mickey Mouse Club, but just for the first year (1955). That was when I was <1, so I don't remember it.

Back
Top Bottom