RIP Mary Wilson (of The Supremes)

Birdie Num Nums

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Right before The Beatles came along, I was into the Beach Boys and Girl Group music (Shirelles and the like). I had one of those transistor radios with the one earphone. I'd ride my bike around town listening to the local Top 40 station. Then The Beatles invaded America. Shortly thereafter The Supremes, in the vein of the earlier Girl Groups, started racking up hit after hit, selling tons of records. I think I once read that The Supremes were the most successful female musical act of the 1960s--in terms of Top 40 hits and number of records sold.

It was announced today that founding member Mary Wilson just passed. With her cute lil overbite and sensual moves, she was fun to watch perform with the group. RIP

What a great legacy. My sisters and I used to listen to all their songs and knew the lyrics to most. I loved Motown music...Smokey was another favorite.

The Motown groups were/are great, IMO. The Supremes, and the Temptations, Smokey Robinson, etc.

While I loved the music, those choreographed dancing synchronous hand/arm motions just seemed weird to me. I was into the more gritty rock/blues, which was just the opposite.

Kinda funny, when I heard of Mary Wilson's passing, the song that popped into my head was "You Keep Me Hangin' On". Typically, the white performers were criticized for taking songs from the black artists, making wimpy versions of them (Pat Boone, Elvis to a lesser degree of wimp-iness), and making them popular. But in this case, Vanilla Fudge took this song, and took it from a light pop hit to something with real power and depth. The original almost seems comic to me. For the impatient, go to ~ 1:50:

Compare with:

Still, the Supremes and Mary Wilson brought us a lot of great music. RIP.

-ERD50

T
Kinda funny, when I heard of Mary Wilson's passing, the song that popped into my head was "You Keep Me Hangin' On". Typically, the white performers were criticized for taking songs from the black artists, making wimpy versions of them (Pat Boone, Elvis to a lesser degree of wimp-iness), and making them popular. But in this case, Vanilla Fudge took this song, and took it from a light pop hit to something with real power and depth. The original almost seems comic to me.

I still prefer the Supremes version. But then, I like to dance :).

RIP Mary Wilson. I met her briefly when her debut solo album was released and she was on a radio station tour. Our college radio station was a stop as at the time it was highly rated Jazz/R&B station in the area. I did not interact with her for more than 30 seconds, but during the visit she seemed like a very nice person.

ERD50, the Vanilla Fudge was also a really good version. Remember it well.

ERD50, the Vanilla Fudge was also a really good version. Remember it well.

Yeah, but like jollystomper says, if you want something to dance to, go back to the original :)

Though I do dance in a way to the Vanilla Fudge version - I can't help but play "air drums" and pretend I can play like Carmine Appice. :LOL:

-ERD50

I love Motown in general and The Supremes specifically. Of course, Mary Wilson had quite a solo c*reer in her own right. She will be missed.

'Foolish Little Girl'

Here's one "Girl Group" song I loved hearing riding on my bike in the early 1960s, just before The Supremes became #3 behind The Beatles & Elvis during the 1960s.

And another of theirs. First heard this when I was 13 and we moved next door to 'older' teens who had a great collection.

'Love Child'

Well, while we are remembering and enjoying The Supremes fantastic legacy, here's one that, to my ear, has one of the greatest codas (musical endings) ever in pop music ("I'll always love you....)(listen with headphones):

Last edited:
I was never a big fan of the Supremes, or Motown in general. There were exceptions, like Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, and the Temptations. And I always sort of wanted to be a Pip. I can't deny the impact Diana and Mary and Florence had, but I just didn't like the songs they sang. They seemed to be victim songs. I know they mostly didn't pick their music, and I definitely appreciate their musicality.

I was more into the Stax and Atlantic groups. Still, the Supremes were unescapable in the 60s and early 70s, and most of my girlfriends loved them.

Back
Top Bottom