Rotator cuff injury/repair?

pacergal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Wondering if anyone here has had a rotator cuff repair? If so, what was your experience?

Pain in my shoulder occurred during exercise several months ago, somehow injured it. Using heat, ice, etc. for the past 3-4 months to no avail. Went to doc--possible rotator cuff tear! Trying intensive PT first, then MRI. If no tear, then he will do a cortisone shot and I will continue PT. If there is a tear, probable surgery. The problem with the physical therapy is that it is really aggravating the pain in my arm, back and shoulder making it even more difficult to find a comfortable position to sleep at night.

I have had surgery on both shoulders already due to impingement problem. Not looking forward to another surgery in the shoulder, but don't like the ongoing pain. :(

Sounds like you may want to consider another PT. Have you communicated to the PT that they seem to be further aggravating your injury.

For me, I have found elastic tube exercises to be the most beneficial for building up your cuff/shoulder complex.

DFW_M5 knows what he is talking about with regards to rotator cuff issues, IMO.

I haven't had any rotator cuff repair or PT, but I have had rotator cuff issues and I can sure sympathize with you! The pain of these injuries is simply phenomenal and way beyond what I ever imagined, before experiencing it myself. This was years ago.

Basically, after injuring my rotator cuffs I temporarily stopped the parts of my weight lifting regimen that involved using my shoulders. (I don't lift weights any more but did at that time.) Anyway, after a few months of resting my shoulders the pain went away and then I gradually, and carefully, resumed shoulder activities. Whenever I felt the slightest twinge of pain, I'd back off. That worked out nicely for me.

A couple of months ago my left rotator cuff began to hurt for no reason. I think that in this case it might be just arthritis. It hurts far less than it did when I injured it in the incident above. I suspect that the lack of weight lifting, and the consequent lack of protective muscle around my shoulder, may have something to do with it too.

I went through something similar a couple of years ago. I'd had decompression surgery 13 years earlier and this pain was as intense as before. However, the MRI revealed tendonosis not tendonitis caused by impingement like before.

Knowing that I then persevered with the PT and got better after a few months, and stopped playing tennis :(

Good luck with your MRI and ongoing treatment.

I have the exact same problem. I had a rotator cuff repair two years ago and several months ago started having pain again after doing some heavy yard work. The doctor said he saw a new but smaller tear in a different location. I am trying PT for now to try and avoid a second surgery. The recover period is so long at my age.

Good luck. I know it's painful as a DR. misdiagnosed me with it once when I was in extreme pain. My sister had it and surgery. She cut hair most of her life. After surgery and PT she changed careers as she couldn't cut for more than an hour.

Good luck, I'd work on PT, talk with the therapist and let them know.

I'm sure tears are not all the same but my next door neighbor was told by his doc that his tear/injury was something that happened over time. He was also told with the surgery and proper rehab he would be able to do most things like play golf again. He's about 6 weeks into his rehab after surgery and is showing improvement but has a long way to go.

Never had a RC tear but if pt was a way to correct the issue, I would give that a shot first.

Are you sure you are working with the right people? The top and bottom students in med school come out with the same title: "Doctor" While the clinics and the profession in general want us to believe that all docs are equally skilled, that is clearly not the case.

Long story omitted, I finally figured out that I had to be very proactive in selecting doctors. Read resumes, look at peer ratings where available, ask current docs to get names of the best people in whatever specialty I need, etc. The "Rate your Doc" web sites are useless. Most patients have no idea of their docs' skills; they can only rate on personality, etc. I would much rather have a grouchy and rude doc with stellar skills and credentials than a highly likeable buffoon.

So, you might benefit from a little doctor and PT shopping. If you tell your doc you want to get a second opinion and ask who is the best in town, you might get a good lead. If his recommendation is another name in his own practice group, I'd be less confident.

Are you sure you are working with the right people? The top and bottom students in med school come out with the same title: "Doctor" While the clinics and the profession in general want us to believe that all docs are equally skilled, that is clearly not the case.

+1000
As my buddy is fond of saying your doctor could have graduated at the bottom of the class.

He came to that believe when a doctor let his wife bleed to death in the hospital after a botched tubal ligation(she only had one ovary, but the doc didn't believe her and cut twice, second cut was apparently a vein). During the course of her bleeding out the doc actually told my buddy he thought the problem was the blood they were putting in was from non-Asian people and she was Asian!

I went through PT last spring and summer for a rotator cuff tear/impingement. Prior to starting PT I could not move my arm more than a couple of inches and had severe pain. Once I started taking NSAIDs (Naprosyn) around the clock the pain let up enough so that I could start moving. Unfortunately I then ended up with pretty bad epigastric pain from the Naprosyn, but the MD ordered Sulindac which I could tolerate.

In the end PT helped tremendously and I have about 90% of my mobility back in the shoulder. I do of course have some weakness from the rotator cuff tear, but I can live with it. I opted not to do surgery because the PT was so successful, but of course the pain can come back. I would recommend talking to the physical therapist and see if you can figure out what is going on. Maybe you need a slower approach and if you are not already on NSAIDs that would likely help.

In my old job, if you got a rotator cuff tear, they made you get the surgery, then after it didnt work they put you out to pasture with a disability pension. Everyone got out, not one success story with it being fixed enough to continue the job.

I fell and tore my rotary cuff and endured 6 months of pain mainly at night before going to the dr. Dr ordered an MRI and the day before the MRI appointment the hospital called and wanted 1,000.00 (BCBS high deductible plan). Never had a hospital do that before and it made me mad so I canceled the MRI. Yes, I can be stubborn like that since I had the money but it was the principal.

In the meantime, I fell and broke my kneecap and my rotary cuff got much worse due to using crutches. The dr. would not even consider doing an MRI because he said it was minor compared to the kneecap. Pain at night from the rotary cuff injury continued until I got an MRI 3 months later.

Because the injury went on so long my rotary tear started healing by itself. No surgery required just PT which was tough but the results were amazing. No more pain and back to normal.

I have broken six bones in my life and the rotary cuff tear was more painful than any injury or broken bone. Never had any pain with a broken bone.

Last edited:
DW fell and tore rotator cuff a few years ago. Had the surgery. Recovery period was pretty rough but she feels she is back to 100% with the shoulder. BIL also had a tear but waited so long that the doctor has advised that surgery is no longer an option. He just needs to learn to live with the limitations.

I tore my rotator cuff about 10 yrs ago. Doc gave me Naproxen immediately that helped. Then the surgeon gave me a shot and told me if that doesn't fix it I'd need to have surgery. After the shot the major pain was gone but was left with a dull pain all the time and sharp pain when I used the shoulder at all.

I continued going to the gym using weights except for anywhere near the shoulder muscles. After a while I noticed that the pain would go away for the duration of the workout. Then after a while the duration got longer e.g., for an hour or more after the workout. Eventually after a few months the pain was completely gone. I'm convinced that the workout every day healed it.

One thing I read is that they found out after autopsies that many people die with rotator cuff tears that weren't complaining about them, so it seems that the tear can be there and that the pain can go away. The surgery and the PT afterwards is a bear, so if something like lifting weights helps, it's well worth it.

I have had rotator cuff tears on both shoulders during the past 6 years. I had MRI's done. On the first one, the doctor said I could have the surgery or try Physical Therapy. I did the PT and got better after a few months. The other shoulder went out a couple years later and went to the same doctor. He said the same thing again. That time I knew what exercises to do and did it on my own in my workshop. Lifting bricks, bungee cords, etc. I am 100% in both shoulders, now. Takes about 7 months to get back to normal doing PT. I sometimes do PT even now just because I like doing it, now.

I would do Physical Therapy before trying surgery. Any surgery requires extensive PT anyways.

I've had impingement pain in both shoulders -- not at the same time. Got PT, didn't do much.

Recommendations for surgeries which I resisted.

Instead I took cortisone shots, first in the right shoulder and then in the left a few years later when that flared up.

At its worst, I could pull my arms back. For instance if I was hand cuffed, I'd be in pain. Also couldn't lift anything above my shoulders or head, like reaching for and holding up a ceramic dinner plate in a kitchen cabinet above my shoulders.

The cortisone shots cleared all that up and I could play basketball, even lift (military presses). My last orthopedist said people over 40 should not be doing such exercises.

Now my left shoulder is bothering me again. Not as bad as before but sometimes, if I make sudden movements with my left arm, such as pushing my hand and arms through a shirt to put in on, pain will flare up.

I suspect part of the problem is that I sleep on my left side a lot and I wonder if that puts pressure on the joint, muscles and tendons there.

I haven't seen the doctor yet but I suspect they will push for surgery. My previous orthopedists said cortisone shots were one-time deals, that repeated injections would weaken the tendons or ligaments. Well it's been about 6-7 years so I'll have to see.

I fell and injured my shoulder - tore my rotator cuff, ruptured my bursa, chipped bone fragments off the top of my humerus and had a severe bone bruise. The pain was terrible. After a month of getting worse instead of better, I finally go to the doctor. The orthopedic surgeon said I could try PT for a few months, which would not help, or get the surgery now and feel better in a few months. I chose surgery. He repaired the tear, removed the ruptured bursa and cleaned out the bone chips. Most painful surgery ever. Had to sleep in a recliner for several weeks, and after graduating to the bed could not sleep on my right side for months.

Then 3 weeks later I stepped in a post hole by husband had created when he pulled out a fence post and missed filling it in. Re-tore the rotator cuff even worse than before and pulled out all the anchors previously placed. Had a second surgery 4 months after the first. Loads of PT after both surgeries.

I regained 100% range of motion and am 100% pain free. For most of that year, I was in a lot of pain either from the tears, after surgeries and during PT, but now I am glad I did it.

...The cortisone shots cleared all that up and I could play basketball, even lift (military presses). My last orthopedist said people over 40 should not be doing such exercises.

Wow, I didn't know that about military presses. I just knew dips and chin-ups were bad. Maybe I need to add presses to the list.

I diagnosed myself with a torn rotator cuff about 10 months ago and I'm still not 100%. There's hardly any pain any more but I can't raise my arm straight up. I've just been stretching at different angles until my arm stops and doing push ups.

Someone recommended this conditioning program to me. I haven't looked at it much yet.

DW tore her rotator cuff many years ago moving a box of copy paper at work. Company sent her to the co DR under a worker's OTJ injury. He took xrays (maybe MRI's?) and declared there was no damage it was just a sprain. He prescribed a sling and wait a few weeks. It will get better. The pain got worse over the next week or so. DW went to an independent orthopedic surgeon who her family trusted. He took one look at the xrays the other Dr had taken and said there was a slight tear and showed her where it was. Further he said the sling was the absolute worse thing to do. It needed to be exercised. If that didn't work then maybe consider surgery. But only as a last resort. A bit of PT and further exercises at home and she has been fine ever since.

I guess some Dr's do graduate at the bottom end of the curve.

Several years ago, I had rotator cuff problems in my left shoulder. MRI showed slight tear and I opted to try a cortisone shot followed by PT. That combo worked well and it's pretty much pain free today. Recently though my right shoulder is acting up and a different orthopedic surgeon didn't bother with an MRI just recommended a shot and PT. I had the shot and am now in the midst of the PT. I really trust my Physical Therapist and his efforts and recommended exercises are carefully chosen to minimize any pain. If I were you, I think I'd perhaps look for another doctor and PT. The shot IMHO given before the PT starts will immediately reduce the inflammation and pain and allow the PT to work more effectively.

I had impingement issues with both shoulders since I turned 40, multiple cortisone shots, PT. Doctor said I was getting old, stop acting like a kid, then he retired. New doctor, several cortisone shots, and PT. Finally, in July 2012, had surgery on right shoulder, most painful thing I had in my life, but the anesthesiologist had an issue with another patient and was a little late with a nerve blocker. In July 2014 had surgery with left shoulder, was out of sling on 3rd day, and I have never looked back. I retired October 2014, after being released to go back to w@rk, had some medical issues with DM.

Best thing I ever did for my life other than marry DW.

Thank you for all of the replies and sharing stories. Have had two opinions, PCP and ortho. Received a call from Ortho office today, they are waiting for authorization from insurance for MRI. I am to call back in a couple of days.
Continuing with Naprosyn and PT and trying to do the exercises at home also. This is my second week of PT. Today the therapist spent some time manipulating and working breaking up fibrous scar tissue--yowza, that hurt! But after ice and TENS session, my arm does feel a bit better tonight. Hopefully, the MRI will be negative and I can get the cortisone shot. I know physical therapy will be something I will need to be diligent about for a long time.

I fell and injured my shoulder - tore my rotator cuff, ruptured my bursa, chipped bone fragments off the top of my humerus and had a severe bone bruise. The pain was terrible. After a month of getting worse instead of better, I finally go to the doctor. The orthopedic surgeon said I could try PT for a few months, which would not help, or get the surgery now and feel better in a few months. I chose surgery. He repaired the tear, removed the ruptured bursa and cleaned out the bone chips. Most painful surgery ever. Had to sleep in a recliner for several weeks, and after graduating to the bed could not sleep on my right side for months.

Then 3 weeks later I stepped in a post hole by husband had created when he pulled out a fence post and missed filling it in. Re-tore the rotator cuff even worse than before and pulled out all the anchors previously placed. Had a second surgery 4 months after the first. Loads of PT after both surgeries.

I regained 100% range of motion and am 100% pain free. For most of that year, I was in a lot of pain either from the tears, after surgeries and during PT, but now I am glad I did it.

OUCH, that does not sound like fun! glad you are doing better. :flowers:

The physical therapy and cortisone shots before a MRI is stipulated by insurance companies.

My wife has a shoulder injury, and she was doing okay in PT--at least until they brought out bhe dumbells. Now she's in agony with her shoulder AND elbow hurting.

Just be careful in physical therapy because it can do more harm than it helps. The therapists will tell you that their most dreaded injuries are shoulder problems as surgery takes as long as a year to get over--even when the patient does their exercises and takes therapy instructions well. You cannot even roll over in the bed without hurting--for a long time.

oh, dumbbells were started today! Hopefully, I will not regret it.

Hope your wife improves over time.

Back
Top Bottom