RSV vaccine side effects?

Last week DW and I got the latest Covid booster and this year's flu shot at the same time. One in each arm. We both had some soreness in our arms and DW felt some minor flu-like symptoms.

Next week, we're scheduled for the RSV shot and the second shingles shot. I'll report back with how that combo went.........

Last edited:
I had all three a week before traveling to Europe because it was the only way to do it. I was definitely sick (like mid-range flu) for about three days, and then it was over. I comforted myself with the fact (perhaps spurious?) that side effects prove a robust effect of the vaccines.

DW got a sore arm and flu symptoms. I asked my doctor if I should get it and he said no. He doesn't recommend.

We both got RSV vaccines about two weeks ago. Arm was a little sore but that’s it. We both got fluzone and Covid 23-24 Wednesday. We both felt sluggish yesterday, but we’re fine today. We think the Covid vaccines take a day to get over.

DW got a sore arm and flu symptoms. I asked my doctor if I should get it and he said no. He doesn't recommend.

Did he say why? I had read someone else (doctor online) not recommending it as well - something along the line maybe when you are older. (I didn't pay a lot of attention since I am not old enough for the current one). Just curious.

Did he say why? I had read someone else (doctor online) not recommending it as well - something along the line maybe when you are older. (I didn't pay a lot of attention since I am not old enough for the current one). Just curious.
Our PCP recommended RSV, Covid and Fluzone, so there’s probably not a consensus.

FWIW, RSV may be a one time vaccine, not an annual like some others. I found another source that suggested every other year is often enough. But frequency has not yet been fully settled, you may not need it again…tbd.

My doctor didn't say why he gave a No, but I trust his judgement. I'm in my early 60s, so that might be why. DW didn't ask her doctor before she got jabbed. She's a few years older than me.

As of today's flu shot I have had all 3 (Covid, RSV, and Flu) this month. I separated them out about a week apart just because. Nothing else but to sit back and enjoy the coming months although I will still mask in a crowd or enclosed spaces. I just never thought of a mask as being a problem to wear. I just don't want to take the chance of carrying anything to a close friend who is seriously immunocompromised and fighting cancer again.

Cheers!

DH and I got the covid vaccines on 10/12/23 and we both got the flu vaccines today. We are going to wait to get the RSV vaccine until 11/4 or 11/5, whenever our grandkids that are coming this Saturday, leave.

My doctor didn't say why he gave a No, but I trust his judgement. I'm in my early 60s, so that might be why. DW didn't ask her doctor before she got jabbed. She's a few years older than me.

I'd be sure to ask WHY to my doc, as that recommendation opposite of CDC.

Maybe its based on the Doc's religion or personal anti-vaccine beliefs, but you won't know until you ask.

DGF, DB and me got the Covid and Flu shots last Saturday. No effects except sore arms and was more sore with the Covid shot.
A few weeks more for the RSV shot.

I'd be sure to ask WHY to my doc, as that recommendation opposite of CDC.

Maybe its based on the Doc's religion or personal anti-vaccine beliefs, but you won't know until you ask.

CDC stopped short of recommending it to all seniors and just said "talk to your doctor". I wondered why they did that really. Apparently it is called "shared clinical decision making".

Last edited:
My wife and I both got the RSV and the flu high dose vaccine two weeks ago without any effects except a sore arm for a day or two.

As for insurance coverage....it may vary. We had appointments yesterday for all 3 vaccines at Walgreens. Pharmacist said husband's were ALL covered by insurance. For me, my insurance would only cover Flu and Covid at Walgreens, BUT the insurance would cover the RSV vaccine at CVS. So we got 5 shots at Walgreens, drove across the street and got my RSV at CVS. As for effects, we both were chilled during the afternoon and VERY achy during the night. He is still pretty sore all over, I just have a splitting headache this morning. This is Tuesday, leaving on vacation Saturday, so I'm glad we didn't get the vaccines at the last minute before traveling.

RSV vax gave me a sore upper arm for 3-4 days - no biggie. I've age, heart, and lung boxes that got checked by the doc. The gal is just of an age - so vax for me, nixed vax for her.

I got mine a week ago, absolutely no side effects for me. Not even pain at the injection site. I have had all the recommended vaccines and this was the easiest for me. Good luck!

RSV is a particular concern for both the over-65 crowd and even more so especially for infants. I got my RSV shot because there is a beautiful new baby in our family and I wanted to see him!

CDC stopped short of recommending it to all seniors and just said "talk to your doctor". I wondered why they did that really. Apparently it is called "shared clinical decision making".
I got the trifecta last week - flu Covid RSV. I’m 60. All done in one arm. Arm hurt for several days, longer than I recall other shots. Of course I can’t tell which one. I was not a fan of doing them in one arm.

My doctor has recommended I wait, given it was new. When I got there I did it anyway.

In the trials there were a couple of cases of GBS, so perhaps that is why it was tagged as a talk to your doctor risk benefit.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/rs...articipants,causing symptoms such as weakness.

Good video on the 3 shots

https://youtu.be/HpSW0yu45C0?si=1cE1dDQ2oW-3S2jU

I had all 3 shots (Covid, RSV, and Flu) spaced about a week apart. Only the Covid shot gave me a slightly sore arm for about a day. No side effects from the others.

Cheers!

I have only a sore arm after getting the RSV shot yesterday. DH says that he doesn't have a sore arm.

It seems like I always get a sore arm and that he does not. I wonder if it has anything to do with our body sizes. I weigh less than 120lbs and he is over 200 lbs.

Glad that all 3 are done for us.

Better half and I got RSV and pneumonia, today.

RSV arm more sore than pneumonia arm.

Back
Top Bottom