RV Sold

I have heard that certain motor home dealers in Canada were spreading misinformation about special requirements to discourage Canadians from buying motor homes in the US and importing them to Canada.

I'm not aware of any such restrictions, but I've never actually researched it. I've read a lot of RV forums and never heard of anyone being turned away at the border for this reason. Can you provide details on the safety regulations creating the problem?

That is what I have heard also - Canadians can come down to the US and buy an RV and import it back without meeting the same regulations a dealer would have to.

That is separate from the rules and regulations that each Province applies in terms of lights, seat belts, RV length etc. Everyone (Canadian or American) must comply with those rules when crossing Provincial borders. RVDA of Canada - Provincial RV Regulations

DD

Here is what I found: Section 5.1 - MOTORHOMES CLASS A AND C

and

Section 5.2 - MOTORHOME - CLASS B

They may be talking about vehicles imported for sale but since they are concerned about safety I don't know why there would be a difference between transit vehicles and vehicles offered for sale. BTW there is one Canadian motor home manufacturer not on the list, evidently because they didn't submit paperwork and the firm has since gone bankrupt.

I am in the learning part of RV shopping. By accidrent I discovered that many motor homes cannot cross the border into Canada because they don't meet their safety regulations (DH has always wanted to drive the AlCan Hgy). Who would have known!
I doubt that you are correct here (although you may be). AFAIK all US registered vehicles are welcome in Canada even though they do not meet Canadian standards (think Canadian vehicles require daytime headlights, your's don't but we let them in anyway).

Can you give a concrete example of a year/make/model of any vehicle that was not allowed across the border?

They may be talking about vehicles imported for sale...
Yes, both charts you linked say "Vehicle importation from the United States".

As kumquat says, I don't know of any problems with traveling in Canada in a US manufactured RV as it appears thousands of RV's do so every year.

Rich - sorry to hear that you're on an RV timeout. I know what everyone is going through - just not being able to perform the physical tasks that unfortunately are part of the things we love to do. I find myself falling out of my boat more and more as I get older.

Then you need...

Attachments

• shirt.jpg
    shirt.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 8
Sorry to see you hanging up your spurs, Rich. I surely hope that in the future, if you like to travel this way again, you will find a way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom