San Antonio/Austin this December?

SecondAttempt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are considering a tourist trip to San Antonio and Austin around Christmas this year. Any thoughts/recommendations from locals? I have been to San Antonio before in the summer. My mother was in the hospital so I did not go out and see much beyond the Riverwalk, Mercado, and the Alamo. I've meant to go back. The weather that time of year looks reasonable and I hear they really decorate the Riverwalk.

But I'm also concerned about the covid situation. There is no way to say this without being political but my concern is that Texas is being pretty reckless and I am not sure what that means for tourists. Are people wearing masks in spite of no mandates? Would we be confroned if we wear masks? I know that Austin and to a lesser extent San Antonio are blueberries in the tomato soup that is Texas but not sure how tha translates.

Also, are things open? I'm not so concerned withe the Riverwalk boats not operating but it would really be a letdown if the Mexican restaurants were closed!

Our dates are slighly flexible so if there are any annual events that time of year worth going to I'd love to hear about those as well.

Not a native but a frequent visitor to Austin over the last 30 years with 3 sisters, Mom and DD all now living there.

We like the statehouse and the LBJ Library. Also, check out Ester's Follies and Pete's Dueling Piano Bar. Or rent a boat and take a spin around part of Lake Travis.

Another favorite is the Friday porkchop lunch special at Perry's Steakhouse from 10:30am - 5:00pm... $17 great deal.
Low-Res-Pork-Chop-Friday-Lunch-plate.jpg

It’s Texas, so don’t get yourself jacked up about “Blueberries” vs “strawberries”. The same applies in FL, if you’re anxious about being a “blueberry”, step back from the news for a few days.

In Austin, the state capital tour is well worth your time. A lot of US history intersects with the specific activities in TX and influences went both ways. And of course, have your picture taken with the statue of Stevie Ray Vaughn[emoji2]

It’s Texas, so don’t get yourself jacked up about “Blueberries” vs “strawberries”. The same applies in FL, if you’re anxious about being a “blueberry”, step back from the news for a few days.
I'm actually pretty moderate, more like a purple grape. But even in California/Nevada his past summer we had mixed reactions when we chose to wear a mask, no outright confrontations but definitely some folks who were not happy that we complied with the sign on the front door of the store saying masks required. We got indignant looks and I am just wondering what it will be like in Texas.

Thanks for your suggestions!

We are considering a tourist trip to San Antonio and Austin around Christmas this year. Any thoughts/recommendations from locals? I have been to San Antonio before in the summer. My mother was in the hospital so I did not go out and see much beyond the Riverwalk, Mercado, and the Alamo. I've meant to go back. The weather that time of year looks reasonable and I hear they really decorate the Riverwalk.

But I'm also concerned about the covid situation. There is no way to say this without being political but my concern is that Texas is being pretty reckless and I am not sure what that means for tourists. Are people wearing masks in spite of no mandates? Would we be confroned if we wear masks? I know that Austin and to a lesser extent San Antonio are blueberries in the tomato soup that is Texas but not sure how tha translates.

Also, are things open? I'm not so concerned withe the Riverwalk boats not operating but it would really be a letdown if the Mexican restaurants were closed!

Our dates are slighly flexible so if there are any annual events that time of year worth going to I'd love to hear about those as well.

Come enjoy your trip here! Just know that, for the most part, Austin is a blueberry in a sea of strawberries despite being the center of TX govt. Not 100% blueberry, however - more purple-ish. Anyway, there's more mask wearing here than what I've seen just a few miles outside of the city limits and I've never seen anybody looking sideways at somebody for wearing a mask - I have seen the opposite, though, but no real confrontations.

Travis county Covid Stats: https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

To do:
- Go see Esther's Follies - just don't sit on the aisle unless you want to be picked on by one of the comedians. :LOL:
- Walk up to the top of Mount Bonnell for pretty view of the city and the TX hill country. Make sure you lock your car and don't leave anything in plain sight.
- Tex Mex, Interior Mex, and Barbecue are a religion here. Plenty of websites to guide you but know that some of the most popular barbecue spots can have a line that can be hours long (not a typo, eg Franklin Barbecue)
- Take a drive out to Lake Travis and also take a drive up Loop 360 from one end to the other.
- Museums: Bullock Texas State History Museum, LBJ Presidential Library, Blanton Museum of Art, Umlauf Sculpture Garden, Harry Ransom Center are all good choices
- Walk around the State Capital, inside and out.
- If you have extra time, head out to Fredericksburg - pretty little town founded by German Immigrants in the 1800's. They have a nice Christmas Market there every year. Lots of wineries between Austin and Fredricksburg. Nearby is Enchanted Rock State Park which is quite a sight. Just know that you'll need to make a reservation for a day trip there - it's really popular.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Since you specifically asked about how the two cities appear to be approaching covid, here is my answer with no politics intended or implied in this response.

We have a kid at UT-Austin, so last year we visited him at school and took a day trip to San Antonio. My wife and son are very pro-mask. I go with the flow and wear it when expected. We all got vaccinated. Anyway, and remember that this was when the country had just recently reopened, our impression was that Austin was very serious about covid, and San Antonio (from our limited experience observing tourists) not so much.

In Austin people abided by safety regulations and wore masks, every other table in a restaurant would be left empty on purpose, and many venues were limited in how much in-person was permitted.

Our day trip to San Antonio in the downtown riverwalk district was a different experience. My wife and son were visibly uncomfortable with the lack of safety precautions. It felt a lot like Myrtle Beach with many "high risk" looking (well fed) people walking around maskless without a care in the world.

That was a while back, so things may be different today.

Well don't rule out San Antonio! The Riverwalk is all lite up at Christmas, along with the Van Gogh Immersive (may be sold out) and the Botanical Garden Lightscapes. If its in your budget, The Emma hotel is a treat any time of year along with all the stunning restaurants at the Pearl, too many to choose from. San Antonio is now rated low on the covid scale, thanks alot to the work of Ron Nirenberg (Mayor) and Nelson Wolff the county judge. Too many museums and art galleries to mention (SAMA, McNay, Witte, Briscoe) and if you want a bit of music and small town, head up to Gruene Hall.:dance::dance::dance:

In Austin people abided by safety regulations and wore masks, every other table in a restaurant would be left empty on purpose, and many venues were limited in how much in-person was permitted.

Our day trip to San Antonio in the downtown riverwalk district was a different experience. My wife and son were visibly uncomfortable with the lack of safety precautions. It felt a lot like Myrtle Beach with many "high risk" looking (well fed) people walking around maskless without a care in the world.

That was a while back, so things may be different today.

Based on our recent visit (July), it has NOT changed. Plenty of people seemingly unconcerned and not taking appropriate precautions. All you can do is look for places and situations where you can distance for your comfort. All venues have reopened in SA as far as I could tell - certainly plenty of Mexican restaurants. We did not really experience any bad reactions to us wearing masks (or maybe I have just gotten used to the odd looks…).
Back to the original question: yes, SA is very nice during the Christmas Holidays. Downtown/Mercado, river walk (walk along the river from the Alamo all the way to the old Pearl brewery), San Fernando cathedral. All very nicely decorated and lit. Blue Star Art center (just behind the Alamo) is interesting visit. Breckinridge Zoo (pretty good as far as zoos go) and Japanese sunken gardens are worth consideration. You should also consider visiting all 4 missions (most everyone visits the Alamo, but there are three more old missions on a nice “mission trail” hike/bike path - furthest one out is maybe 10 miles away, so if you are not good for long hikes, you can rent a bicycle. Nice flat walk/ ride. You can also drive to all the missions, of course, but the trail is really nice. If you are into museums I think the Art museum and the Wittemuseum are worth considering. In spite of what I said above, places like museums often do have “vaccination policies”. I.e. you have to show proof of vaccination or a recent negative test (I know the Witte does/did for sure).
My DW was born and raised in SA, so we have visited A LOT over the years. December is definitely the time to visit SA. I know less about Austin (others will chime in), but I do like the Capitol/UT campus area. Obviously a much smaller City than SA.

Last edited:
Another favorite is the Friday porkchop lunch special at Perry's Steakhouse from 10:30am - 5:00pm... $17 great deal.
Low-Res-Pork-Chop-Friday-Lunch-plate.jpg

Porkchop at a steakhouse? Isn't that sacrilegious in Texas? :confused: I can't believe they haven't been expelled and banned from Texas for good :LOL::LOL::LOL:

That aside, I DO love pork chops....

Thanks for the responses so far. I did not mean to be political when asking about response to masks. But I did want to know what to expect based on my visi to California last summer where attitudes are generally 180 degrees away from Texas

I am curious about one thing. A couple of people have recommended visiing the State Capitol. I am curious why. That is not usually on the tourist list in any state. What makes Texas special?

That's a very good question as I normally don't visit state capital buildings. I guess in our case we have been to Austin so many times we have been a bit desperate about things to do. It is a popular destination though and is usually pretty crowded with visitors.

Another thing we have done that is fun is rent a kayak and kayak on the Colorado river downtown... but I'm not sure they do rentals in December.

While we haven't done it yet, there is also a duck boat tour. DD is going on it when the in-laws are visiting in December.

<Mod Note>
Let's keep this thread free of political coding and mask discussions - neither of those work even inside the covid-sub-forum.

Thanks for the responses so far. I did not mean to be political when asking about response to masks. But I did want to know what to expect based on my visi to California last summer where attitudes are generally 180 degrees away from Texas

I am curious about one thing. A couple of people have recommended visiing the State Capitol. I am curious why. That is not usually on the tourist list in any state. What makes Texas special?

It's interesting, architecturally. It was added onto on the back side of it back in the 1980's and is keeping with the architecture of the main building. The grounds themselves are really nice as well. It's a good way to kill an hour or two but it definitely isn't an all-day affair.

cheers

Based on our recent visit (July), it has NOT changed. Plenty of people seemingly unconcerned and not taking appropriate precautions. All you can do is look for places and situations where you can distance for your comfort. All venues have reopened in SA as far as I could tell - certainly plenty of Mexican restaurants. We did not really experience any bad reactions to us wearing masks (or maybe I have just gotten used to the odd looks…).
Back to the original question: yes, SA is very nice during the Christmas Holidays. Downtown/Mercado, river walk (walk along the river from the Alamo all the way to the old Pearl brewery), San Fernando cathedral. All very nicely decorated and lit. Blue Star Art center (just behind the Alamo) is interesting visit. Breckinridge Zoo (pretty good as far as zoos go) and Japanese sunken gardens are worth consideration. You should also consider visiting all 4 missions (most everyone visits the Alamo, but there are three more old missions on a nice “mission trail” hike/bike path - furthest one out is maybe 10 miles away, so if you are not good for long hikes, you can rent a bicycle. Nice flat walk/ ride. You can also drive to all the missions, of course, but the trail is really nice. If you are into museums I think the Art museum and the Wittemuseum are worth considering. In spite of what I said above, places like museums often do have “vaccination policies”. I.e. you have to show proof of vaccination or a recent negative test (I know the Witte does/did for sure).
My DW was born and raised in SA, so we have visited A LOT over the years. December is definitely the time to visit SA. I know less about Austin (others will chime in), but I do like the Capitol/UT campus area. Obviously a much smaller City than SA.

Sorry, I just realized a mistake (too late to edit the original post…): There are a total of five (not 4) mission on the mission trail. The Alamo, missions San Juan, San Jose, Concepcion, and Espada

We were in San Antonio for a week of vacation a couple of weeks ago. We had never been to SA before and had a really terrific time. We stayed right on the Riverwalk (Canopy by Hilton) and did all the touristy stuff and had great experiences at all the bars and restaurants. Walked up to the Pearl and back few times. Really nice city and nice people. A few observations that might help answer your questions:

1. Virtually everything was open for business. All restaurants, bars, attractions.

2. Very little in the way of reduced seating or whatnot anywhere for social distancing.

3. Very few people wearing masks except for servers in restaurants. A few small shops required them.

4. We didn't sense any tension anywhere about masks or social distancing. Seemed like people were doing their thing and not worrying about what other people were doing.

We were in San Antonio for a week of vacation a couple of weeks ago. We had never been to SA before and had a really terrific time. We stayed right on the Riverwalk (Canopy by Hilton) and did all the touristy stuff and had great experiences at all the bars and restaurants. Walked up to the Pearl and back few times. Really nice city and nice people. A few observations that might help answer your questions:

1. Virtually everything was open for business. All restaurants, bars, attractions.

2. Very little in the way of reduced seating or whatnot anywhere for social distancing.

3. Very few people wearing masks except for servers in restaurants. A few small shops required them.

4. We didn't sense any tension anywhere about masks or social distancing. Seemed like people were doing their thing and not worrying about what other people were doing.

Thanks for all the responses and the updated information.

We were planning to book this weekend but with the Omicron news on Friday we are waiting. The concern is not so much with Texas or what they might do. And neither of us are particularly worried about the virus. But living in Hawaii there is a very real risk of a travel ban to get home if this thing takes off. Delta hit Hawaii pretty hard because there were no travel bans so if this new variant is as bad as they say I would not be surprised to see big restrictions here that keep us from coming home or at least having to quarantine.

I mean, being stuck in San Antonio would not be the worst thing in the world but could get pricey!

This is late and given Omicron your plans may well be on hold, but my own observations about folks here in San Antonio (where I live) is that there are a lot of people who are pretty casual and/or seemingly unconcerned about wearing masks and socially distancing. There are few, if any stores/indoor entertainment venues, etc. that require masks and the few stores that have signs saying they are required don’t put effort into enforcing it. If you think you will find yourself bothered by seeing large numbers of unmasked people, I would suggest finding another place to vacation.

We are looking at a trip to San Antonio early next year. I want to stay in a walkable area since we won’t have a car. Any recommendations? I see Canopy by Hilton was recommended. Any other suggestions. I have been looking in the Riverwalk area.

We are looking at a trip to San Antonio early next year. I want to stay in a walkable area since we won’t have a car. Any recommendations? I see Canopy by Hilton was recommended. Any other suggestions. I have been looking in the Riverwalk area.

I’m not sure what your budget is, but if you are reasonable mobile, I would suggest the Hotel Emma at the Pearl. The Pearl is at the northern most end of of the Riverwalk, and is an old brewery that has been converted into a shopping, dining, entertainment complex. Even if you don’t stay at the Hotel Emma (which is quite nice, albeit pricey), you should swing by the Pearl, walk around, people watch and maybe have dinner and/or a drink. You can walk on the riverwalk from the Pearl to the downtown and the more well-known parts of the Riverwalk (bars, hotels, restaurants, near the Alamo, etc.) in about 45 minutes. If you don’t mind walking it is a very lovely walk…well landscaped, permanent art exhibits on display. Perhaps when you come, they will have restored the water taxi service which will take you to/from the Pearl to/from downtown. It has been shut down since the pandemic began. One suggestion…for the most part, I would avoid the restaurants on the Riverwalk that are downtown. Most fall into the the sorts of places that are perfectly fine, but nothing memorable. If you decide to come, let me know and I can share some of my favorite dives, food trucks, and special occasion places.

Thanks, we are very mobile and enjoy walking. Budget is an issue, but I am reminding myself that I need to be in blow the dough mode…not my usual frugal self [emoji3]

Hotel Emma is more than I would be comfortable spending. Hey, I’ve only recently upgraded to a Hampton Inn level. I’m looking online and I definitely want to stay in walking distance of Riverwalk, Alamo, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom