Saying of the Day.......

"Life is good."

What does this mean? Use appropriate tools?? Even in literal terms, I can't think of a situation in which this would be good advice, even if you wanted firewood that fit your stove precisely.
Looking forward to the answer.
In the Navy, this referred to the log that records the overboard discharge* of radioactive coolant from the nuclear reactor.

The radioactivity of the coolant was measured to some ridiculous number of microcuries per milliliter, but the measurement was only required to be taken within a day of the discharge (and not necessarily from the same area as the coolant that was discharged). That number was then multiplied by the gallons discharged as measured on a gauge that was accurate to about +/- five gallons.** You were also required to round off certain numbers but you weren't required to correct for the pressure or temperature of the coolant (which would hypothetically affect the volume discharged).

Did the answer fulfill your anticipation?

* At least 12 miles from land, international waters, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

** Yes, all the valves isolating this coolant from the ocean (and the harbor) were allowed to leak a little bit. Just a few milliliters an hour.***

*** Except at Sarah in SC's Cooper River, but I think that was a 1960s shipyard accident. I'm pretty sure the radioactive sediment is almost undetectable by now...

OK I got it. It means that precision doesn't insure accuracy. It's not advice, but rather an example of poor practice.

Here are three I keep on my desk:

Dance like it hurts,
Love like you need money,
Work when people are watching. - Scott Adams

The road to hell is paved with adverbs. - Stephen King

Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it.
--Mark Twain

Never worry if something will go wrong. Rather, think about what can go wrong and how to respond.

I see you've met Mr. Murphy...

Here are three I keep on my desk:

Dance like it hurts,
Love like you need money,
Work when people are watching. - Scott Adams

Love it!

"No good deed goes unpunished."

Another favorite:

Just because your paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool.

A day without sunshine is like night.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

My 2 personal favorite:

As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to Hell.

Don't fool with recombinant DNA technology unless you're sure you know what you are doing

FireCalc. aka Dory.

I always liked: Close enough - as in horsehoes and handgrenades.

heh heh heh - I think Wm Bernstein's series on retirement calculators from Hell said over 80% success rate(aka chance of successful retirement) was close enough.

:dance:

I like "close only counts in horeshoes, shotguns, hand grenades and atomic bombs"

As an engineer, relative to indecision, "a bad plan is better than no plan".
Being retired I can't buy into this anymore. Doing nothing is always better than even thinking about a plan.

DW downloaded a weight loss audio that had a saying "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels".

Being thin may feel good, but I know a lot of things that taste better.

"A fool and his money are soon partying" - Anon. :dance:

One I just read...

At the beginning of a marriage you have two hearts and a diamond; by the end you wish that had a club and a spade.:dance:

My brother's rule for a happy marriage:

Act surprised.... look concerned.... deny, deny, deny.

A stupid idea looks exactly like a brilliant idea, right up until the moment that it fails.

Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler.

The engineer breaks a large problem into many small problems, each of which he can solve. The bureaucrat rolls many small problems together into one large problem which no one can solve.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

T

Back
Top Bottom