Scott Burns: Stave off old-age poverty

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I'm surprised the church that ordained me didnt instantaneously burst into flames...

Do those snakes ever bite back?

I would have to agree that it's not how much education you have but how the education applies to your career.

I have a BSEE and got a high tech job out of school, and I'm now semi-retired at 35. I think my degree got me the job, but most of my actual learning took place on the job.

My sister got a Masters of Divinity, decided she didn't want to be a minister, and now owes a few of years of salary towards her student debts which continue to compound.

I'm afraid that many of my fellow Americans will find a need to hone their retirement skills to include the art of panhandling. They have not discovered the time-honored skill of delayed gratification, or living below ones means.

I anticipate that they (or some of you perhaps) will be knocking on my door sometime in the next 30-40 years and asking me for a scrap of bread for a needy fellow citizen. I'll probably have to sic the hounds on them, but I will justify it by recalling that I did not purchase every year that BMW in the 90's like they did. I only had a Toyota Camry that I kept for 12 years. I invested the difference and that, my friend, is reality.

yakers said:
Watch it youbet, you're copmpeting with T-AL for nasal milk reactions.

Thanks. It's nice to finally start to feel included!

Back
Top Bottom