Short Term European Trip health insurance

MovingtotheCove

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone have a suggestion of a company to purchase short term international travel health insurance from? We are under 60 non Medicare and need about a 30 day policy for Western Europe to supplement our US coverage. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Many U.S. insurers have international coverage. For example BCBS is great overseas, we have used it for years. Pay cash, email the claim forms, payments go to your account. Easy. No need for supplemental. Be careful of the actual coverages in the short-term policies, sometimes not worth it.

M2

For example BCBS is great overseas, we have used it for years. Pay cash, email the claim forms, payments go to your account. Easy. No need for supplemental. Be careful of the actual coverages in the short-term policies, sometimes not worth it.

M2

+1

I believe the 'Blues' have an online list of countries and what hospitals have agreed to provide services to their members.

Also, don't forget emergency evacuation insurance. Health care costs in Europe are cheaper than the US for many services, (A former coworker had a busted leg x-rayed and put into a cast for less than $1000) in Germany, IIRC.) but if you need an emergency evacuation back to the USA with a nurse attendant, it can cost well into the tens of thousands of dollars.

Also, don't forget emergency evacuation insurance. Health care costs in Europe are cheaper than the US for many services, (A former coworker had a busted leg x-rayed and put into a cast for less than $1000) in Germany, IIRC.) but if you need an emergency evacuation back to the USA with a nurse attendant, it can cost well into the tens of thousands of dollars.
I'm trying to think of a medical condition that might appear while travelling in Europe and cannot be treated locally, such that an insurance company is likely to be convinced to pay out on an emergency evacuation policy.

Medicines (except OTC remedies like acetaminophen or ibuprofen) are cheaper over here too, thanks to the exercise of central purchasing power. Bring your recurring prescriptions and get them filled at a European pharmacy for way less than you pay in the US.

When I took my mom to Italy a few years ago, she fell and had a major facial and head injury, but did not require surgery (well, they did offer an appointment with a plastic surgeon in 3 weeks time!). She stayed a few days in the hospital before being well enough for me to take her home. I think the bill my parents got a few months later was around $400. Bargain, I guess, but still not an experience I want to repeat.

However, it is the evac/emergency insurance that I am more interested in, specifically for travel. That's why I use World Nomads. But, ahem, I go places a bit more dangerous than Western Europe as a rule. ;)

Travelgard also has many flavors of coverage. Be sure to compare benefits before signing up!

Rita

Many U.S. insurers have international coverage. For example BCBS is great overseas, we have used it for years. Pay cash, email the claim forms, payments go to your account. Easy. No need for supplemental. Be careful of the actual coverages in the short-term policies, sometimes not worth it.

M2

+1

I believe the 'Blues' have an online list of countries and what hospitals have agreed to provide services to their members.

We also have BCBS and they do cover overseas health costs but you need to check before you go. If you do have coverage then I can confirm that you can go online and check out the hospitals that are "in network", otherwise just pay for treatment and email the claim forms as mentioned above.

Thanks for all the great replies. We selected a policy through United Healthcare/Golden Rule from IMG that was called Patriot Platinum and has a nice amount of coverage for the 22 days we are gone with a reasonable premium as long as you don't cloud things up with too many riders offering all kinds of additions to the basic medical coverage. Will be in UK, Spain, Italy, France, and back to UK and are most concerned with some type of fall or accident that would result in a need for significant treatment. All the input is much appreciated.

Re: travel insurance and medical flights.
Today's Chicago Trib had an extensive article (subscribers only) "Pros, Cons of Picking up Travel Insurance" , and in one part mentioned the cost of a medical flight from China, being more than $150,000.
Many years ago (20), when we had an HMO in Illinois, and were living 6 months in Florida, DW required an emergency operation and was initially denied coverage by her Illinois doctor. We eventually received approval for the procedure in a Florida Hospital, after some legal action and much angst. In the meantime, we were considering a medical flight, which at the time, was to cost $20-25,000. We did sign up for Angel Flight, but thankfully didn't need to use it.
Medical Evacuation from 'wherever' is extremely expensive.
The article suggested going to to: InsureMyTrip.com for online customer reviews of travel insurers. 12,743 Travel Insurance Reviews from InsureMyTrip

The most arresting part of the article suggested that insurance was there to protect against "financial disaster" rather than "financial annoyance".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom