Should I roll a 403b over to a Roth IRA?

One other reason to convert is that many often overlook the effect of tax rates in an IRA should one spouse pass before the other. It is likely that their tax rate will increase. Not an issue if they are already single.

I changed my mind about the rollover. I've transferred the 403b to a Vanguard t-IRA, and I'm going to leave it parked there for now.

When I looked at the tax brackets, I realized that unless I rolled over only a teensy weensy amount each year (like 5K/yr), the rollover would push me from my current 12% tax bracket up to 22%, possibly 24% depending on how many years I spread it out -- a 10 to 12% increase. That seemed like a pretty big negative.

I really couldn't see any positives. The ones I listed above didn't seem to make sense anymore. And as OTL pointed out, the math seems like a wash. I really don't see the advantage to doing it. I'd be paying a tax penalty of more than 3K/yr to make the move (33K taxable income, 10% additional tax), and I don't see any solid reasons for doing it.

I'll probably roll it over once I take SS, though. The additional SS income will bump me up into that 22% bracket, whether I like it or not. I'll have more headroom in that bracket than I do now, so I can rollover sizeable chunks without it pushing me into a higher bracket. I can't do that now.

I'll also run it by my tax guy, see what he thinks.

Try levelizing your income, Eddie.
If your income is $40k now and then $60k when SS starts, then Roth convert $20,000 a year now.

Also take a look at your income once RMDs start at age 73+.

I'm doing modest Roth conversions in the 24% federal bracket, up until my RMDs start in 2023.

The "higher bracket" thing is a bad way of looking at it...

.... I'll probably roll it over once I take SS, though. The additional SS income will bump me up into that 22% bracket, whether I like it or not. I'll have more headroom in that bracket than I do now, so I can rollover sizeable chunks without it pushing me into a higher bracket. I can't do that now.

I'll also run it by my tax guy, see what he thinks.

I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense... you're sure you'll pay 22% later so paying 22% now is the same thing.... by levelizing income as some have suggested you reduce your chance of later being pushed into the 24% tax bracket. How are you getting the 10% additional tax... the $3k on $33k?

There are some potential positives that are more intangible. One is that many of us expect that future marginal tax rates will increase so if you think you'll be 22% now or 22% or 24% later it might be beneficial to convert some at 22% now because the later may well be higher than the current rates of 22% or 24%.

Another which has been mentioned is if one is married and the death of one spouse puts the surviving spouse in a much higher tax bracket.

So at a minimum, do Roth conversions to fill up the 12% tax bracket even if they are small amounts... its free and easy money. Also, consider additional conversions into the 22% tax bracket to levelize lifetime income but only if your taxable income doesn't include a lot of qualified dividends or long-term capital gains.

Keep in mind that once your taxable income is in the 22% tax bracket that if your income includes preferenced income (qualified dividends or long-term capital gain that your marginal rate for additional Roth conversions will be 27% for the amount of preferenced income, and then 22%. The 27% is the result of additional Roth conversions pushing preferenced income from 0% to 15% plus additional ordinary income from the incremental Roth conversion at 12%.

Too bad they make it so damn complicated.

Last edited:
Remember today’s tax brackets revert to the previous tax brackets adjusted for inflation after 2025. So taking advantage of these current brackets and rates may be an advantage.

There is also the consideration if someone dies, the survivor will be paying taxes at the single rate.

Try levelizing your income, Eddie.
If your income is $40k now and then $60k when SS starts, then Roth convert $20,000 a year now.

But doesn't that subject me to an additional 10% tax on my current (non-IRA related) income? Why would I want to push myself into a higher bracket now, if I can wait a few years, at which point the rollover wouldn't cost me additional taxes?

I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense... you're sure you'll pay 22% later so paying 22% now is the same thing....

But see my response above... It seems to me that my base income of 33K is getting hit with an additional 10% tax.

But wait. Now I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding the way tax brackets work. Yeah, I may be... Maybe they don't apply across the board to all income, but just to chunks of income at different levels.

Let me check something out with you tax pros. This probably falls into the category of a "taxes for dummies" type question, lol.

Tax brackets go something like this, at least for single filers in 2021:

10% Up to $9000

12% $9,000 to $40,000

22% $40,000 to $86,000

24% $86,000 to $164,000

So that means one of two things. Please tell me which it is:

1. If your total taxable income falls at, let's say, the 22% level, then all of your taxable income is taxed at 22%.

2. Your taxable income is taxed in chunks, in a graduated fashion, progressing up those levels. The first 9K is taxed at 10%. The next 31K beyond that (9-40K range) is taxed at 12%. The next 46K above that (40-86K) is taxed at 22%. And so forth.

If it's #2, then I'll have to rethink things once again, because I misunderstood how taxes work. I think that information might have been in the back of my mind somewhere, but it was lost in a file drawer I hadn't opened in a while.

On the other hand, if it's #1, then I don't see why I wouldn't be subjecting myself to an additional tax hit, by rolling it over now. Waiting until SS puts me in a higher tax bracket would make more sense, in that scenario (since rolling over wouldn't push my rate any higher).

How are you getting the 10% additional tax... the $3k on $33k?

Yes, right. If you spread that over the 4 years before SS (assuming I take it at 62), that's an additional 13K in taxes. I don't really see the point in doing that, if #1 above is the correct scenario. If it's #2, though, then I've misunderstood.

Too bad they make it so damn complicated.

I know, right. I tend to over-complicate things enough on my own. I don't need help from the government.

Remember today’s tax brackets revert to the previous tax brackets adjusted for inflation after 2025. So taking advantage of these current brackets and rates may be an advantage.

I didn't know that was set to happen. "Previous tax brackets" meaning what, exactly?

....Tax brackets go something like this, at least for single filers in 2021:

10% Up to $9000

12% $9,000 to $40,000

22% $40,000 to $86,000

24% $86,000 to $164,000

So that means one of two things. Please tell me which it is:

1. If your total taxable income falls at, let's say, the 22% level, then all of your taxable income is taxed at 22%.

2. Your taxable income is taxed in chunks, in a graduated fashion, progressing up those levels. The first 9K is taxed at 10%. The next 31K beyond that (9-40K range) is taxed at 12%. The next 46K above that (40-86K) is taxed at 22%. And so forth.

If it's #2, then I'll have to rethink things once again, because I misunderstood how taxes work. ...

It is #2.... so rethink.

...."Previous tax brackets" meaning what, exactly?
Unless Congress votes to extend the TCJA, 2017 tax rates will go back into effect on January 1, 2026, For example:

12% tax rate goes back up to 15%
22% tax rate goes back up to 25%
24% tax rate goes back up to 28%

It is #2.... so rethink.

Ah, okay. Thanks for helping me sort it out. Now that I think about it, taxes as I described under #1 would be nonsensical and incredibly unfair. Just earning an extra $100 could cause a massive increase in your tax bill.

Ok, so I've reversed course several times and I'm a little dizzy, but I think everything makes sense now. I was wondering who was confused, me or other people. Looks like it was me, lol. Not surprising, since it relates to taxes. I really should study taxes more carefully, one of these days. I just can't do it and stay awake at the same time, heh.

Ok, back to rolling over.

Thank you for posting the future tax brackets. That is additional incentive to go ahead and do it now.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom