Should I tell 'em what I think?

I wouldn't burn any bridges at this time. Your retirement marks the end of one phase of your life and the start of a much freer, more pleasant phase.

In a year or so, after you have been away from the stressful work environment, you will have a somewhat different, milder perspective.

Besides, revenge is a dish best served cold. :)

I agree. And, if your FIRE plans crumble, you may get back in as a consultant. I left slightly after a very obnoxious VP. His replacement was at least OK. My attitude was screwed by predessor. Kept quiet since AH was gone and I might want a bit of consulting $. Seems I don't want it but new VP occasionally buys me lunch and asks 'how to deal with so-and so'. I'm not so bitter that a free lunch won't make me happy. If it becomes necessary, he'll be a good reference for a consulting gig. Don't burn bridges. Let the AH's crash and burn on their own.

I agree with the others here that you should exit with a smile on your face, a song in your heart and joyous thoughts about all that the future holds for you.

Your situation reminded me of an office I worked in early on in my career. The manager was a wimp of a guy who basically hid out in his office rather than deal with the dysfunctional staff of women who worked for him. Most of the dysfunction was caused by a mother and daughter team who had adjoining desks in the department. These "ladies" would speak to each other in a foreign language, commenting about everyone in the department. They made it pretty obvious -- using the individual's names, pointing and laughing, etc. Unfortunately, no one in the office spoke their language so we basically had to put up with it.

Until the day our boss had to have emergency surgery and was replaced by another manager who was bi-lingual in the same language as the "ladies." When the new manager came in, the "ladies" continued to do their critiques of the staff (and the new manager), blissfully unaware of what was about to happen.

About a week or so later, the new manager called a staff meeting and began by addressing the "ladies" in their foreign language -- what an enormous surprise! Nothing was ever said to the rest of the staff, but judging by the ladies' red faces and subsequent sudden unexplained departures, the message was pretty clear. It was really kinda cool!

No. You don't want to give away the story line for your novel, The GS-10 wears Prada."

I think it depends on the work place and there is no way for me to judge if a purpose would be served at your job.

I learned valuable things from exit interviews of associates who left our office.

I tend to agree with Martha that there's no hard rule on this.... except that I tend to see the Fed as utterly hopeless. I worked in a Fed position for four years in the mid-80's and that's where I developed my 4-year solution to the problems I found there.

1st year: Eyes wide open, identifying problems.
2nd year: Brain completely engaged putting together solutions.
3rd year: Discovering (upon presenting solutions) that no one gives a $hit and never will.
4th year: Finding another job outside the Federal Gov.

As Nord's pointed out, though, sometimes the comments of a single exit interview creates the critical mass that spurs a beneficial change. Far more often, I'm afraid, the organization already knows what you are telling them and is too "sick" to correct the problem.

This is interesting - my husband and I were just visiting some friends who had worked with us when we were in Germany - we were telling 'war-lies' about some of the personalities we'd had to deal with - but you know the really weird part? We couldn't remember their names and had to dig deep to remember all of the transgressions. Bottom line, time had smoothed all of that out and we had moved on. You have a light at the end of the tunnel and if the people still there are unwilling to try and make changes, then they've made the decision to work in that environment - we can make our own hell. You've made the choice to change your environment to one which will hopefully make your life better. Smile and if someone asks truly why you are smiling, you can give them the philosophy above.

Enjoy and congrats on the early retirement!

Once you passed the age of 5. You can NOT be honest and truthful anymore. Once it left your mouth, it's very difficult to get it back. Just let the 2 nuts go. You will be much happier.

Btw, are they going to give to a bigger cake for telling the truth? or they just thought you're bitter and angry. So, let it go.

Back
Top Bottom