sigh ... 2020 tax refund in 2022

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
It is beginning to look like the refund from my 2020 taxes won't hit my bank account until early February 2022.

The IRS website says :
Limited Account Services, Dec. 23, 2021 - Jan. 22, 2022

We can hope it is so they can focus on their backlog!

My mother is still waiting for hers. Paper filed in February. I wrote the IRS a letter this week asking what the holdup was. Doubt it will do anything, but it made me feel better.

Next time direct deposit.

I'd love them to delay mine longer so there's more time for the 3% interest to accrue.

That doesn’t solve anything, given the current issues at the IRS. In my mother’s situation, her return requests a direct deposit refund.

We only filed via paper because the IRS rejected our electronic filing. Her account has a history that we have had to resolve every year since 2017. And every year they say it is fixed. Then the next year more of the same issues. The IRS is broken.

As mentioned, this doesn't always solve the issue but it can help. Some times paper filing is the only option. The real key is to always owe money or have such a small refund that you don't really care. E-file when you can but it there are situations where paper is the only option.

If you owe, I recommend not doing direct debit on the return since you never know when it will get processed. Make the payment through Direct Pay or EFTPS.

Back
Top Bottom