Singapore restaurants

livingalmostlarge

Recycles dryer sheets
People who've visited or lived or live in singapore restaurant reccomendations? Going in August and can't wait.

Stay out of Clark Quay and Boat Quay unless you enjoy overpaying. There are good restaurants on Arab Street, and the Chili Crab is amazing at the local restaurants off the Geylang bahru MTA stop (though that is by the Red Light district, so don't get lost there).

There is also a lot of expats and locals who hang out and drink at Holland Village, which is relatively fair priced.

If you are feeling more adventurous, go to a local hawker (street food) area.

I was a local (born and raised) and I still hang out at Clark Quay and Boat Quay and overpay while I was living there and when I go back. LOL.

You get the most variety and some of the best food in hawker centers. Having said that, after living here for the past 20 years, I seldom visit hawker centers anymore as through the optics of now an American, many of the stalls appear unsanitary. But they all have to pass health inspection.

The variety is simply amazing and all I can say is that all Singapore food is fabulous. Enjoy your trip.

Oh, in August, you will be very miserable outdoors as it is hot and humid. So stay indoors for your meals. Anymore, I only visit Singapore in Dec and Jan.

Absolutely doing street food. Just wondering if it's worth going somewhere nicer than stalls. We're used to eating asian street food and I am the heat is fine for me and i love it. DH and the kids might have a bit of trouble but cannot wait.

Singapore is also called the food Mecca of the world. There are a ton of options. There are lots of great restaurants everywhere. You can even find Michelin star hawker stalls. It's a first world country so everywhere is very modernized, and in many aspects, more advanced than the US. Just ask your concierge for recommendations, because depending on where you are staying, there are always going to be excellent and many restaurants near there. If you want hawker food experience but in comfort, food courts are everywhere in shopping centers and there are easily 30 to 50 stalls in each.

There are no street food in Singapore. Hawker centers are covered open structures with hundreds of stalls.

Last edited:
Zam Zams

Awesome little food place. While visiting my brother he took us there.
Small little place but absolutely awesome food.

1) We enjoyed the Blue Ginger in Tanjong Pagar for Peranakan cuisine. Delicious and a really cute little place.
2) The Banana Leaf Apolo in Little India -- probably a little touristy but fun with lots of activity and family style eating.
3) Prive at CHIJMES for a great Waygu hamburger.
4) Kith Cafe near Dhoby Ghat Station for a nice breakfast.

Singapore is a city state and country with 6 million people. Great restaurants are everywhere, hence I recommend to go to restaurants and food courts close to your hotel. Ask the concierge, you won't go wrong. It is pointless in telling you the best restaurants because there are thousands of great eateries and they are equally good. Otherwise you will be wasting alot of time getting into trains and taxis looking for places that we recommend here.

I agree with RetiredHappy's comments above. When I was working in offshore oil & gas operations in Indonesia many years ago, we used Singapore for our stopover location coming back to the states. Around the big hotels, there are many fine places to eat (and shop, too!).

Beautiful place, wonderful people and so well kept.

For every restaurant that we may recommend here, you will find better restaurants close to where you stay.

Yes. But there are hundreds, if not thousands of nice restaurants. If you ask the concierge prior to your trip for some recommendations, you can do so. The number one past time of Singaporeans is enjoyment of food.

Where will you be staying?

is it worth making a reservation at a nicer place in singapore?

We were in Singapore for a few days at the end of April and again in Mid-June.

For the VERY nice restaurants, it is like everywhere else--you'll need reservation for prime times, at least. We enjoyed both of the michelin starred restaurants that we ate at (Beni and Odette), but we thought they were pricey even for that level of dining.

Agree 100% on the Hawker centers. We ate three meals between two of those centers and they were really good, with attractive bang for the buck. (We didn't think they quite reached the level of Penang street food, but that is nothing to be ashamed of. OTOH, they do look nicer & more sanitary than the Penang setups!)

JW marriott south. Chose it over the st regis because the location looked better. and one night at marina sands. Then a few nights in thailand. at the end before heading home.

Yeah I am wondering if I need reservations at a michelin star place and if it's worth it. When in asia we mostly do non-touristy places. But we've never been further south than hong kong and macau. We've done, china, japan, korea, and hong kong.

And my DH has done thailand, singapore, india, australia all for work. But left to our own devices we tend to do casual. But the kids are older and we could do a nicer restaurant so the question is should we?

You don't need to go to a Michelin star restaurant to get great food. Food at Michelin star restaurants don't taste any better than other good restaurants in Singapore.

I prefer to stay in Orchard Road at the other JW Marriott because that's what I grew up with as being the heart of shopping. There are lots of restaurants and shopping in South Beach area too and it is a much newer area.

Obviously, you should at least spend an evening at the top of Marina Sands just for the view of the city, maybe before or after dinner for drinks, although they do have dining up there.

Food should be the least of your concern because the food is so good everywhere.

There are lots to see in Singapore. I love the Botanica Gardens, and that is close to Orchard Road. Some love Gardens By The Bay. They have one of the best zoos in the world but it is really hot in August. The airport itself is a destination.

You’ve got to stop by the Raffles hotel. Home of the original Singapore Sling cocktail! I was there in 2001 and we tried their Sunday Brunch. Very nice spread. Suit and tie were required.

Madam Fan is excellent, and I definitely recommend a drink at Atlas Bar for the environmental experience. Great drinks too—you’ll need a reservation.

We hit little India and grabbed roti & chai from a stand that looked popular. Didn’t disappoint.

As others have said, it’s a bit hard to go wrong there!

Had the best soup dumplings ever at a little hole in the wall in Chinatown (also GREAT custard tarts at an artisanal bakery in Chinatown. Wonderful dim sum at (I think) the Sheraton near Orchard Road. Thought Chili Crab was over-rated. Great browsing restaurants off Club Road... Used to be great sate at hawkers market downtown (with stands all around the covered market... etc., etc., Changes all the time....Look at the latest food columns in local papers, NYT, etc.

Back
Top Bottom