So, do you feel your age? Act your age? Like your age?

This week, I played singles tennis on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday as well as weights on Tuesday, Ballet workout Wednesday, Yoga/Pilates workout on Thursday and athletic water running on Friday. Plus a 13 mile bike ride on Wednesday.

Sure, I needed hot baths, tylenol or ibuprofein but I feel great. In my younger days I used to play soccer and do karate, but I also had had plenty of aches and pains then, also a few injuries that needed Emergency Room visits.

So, I feel my age in that I can't do what I used to be able to do, but I'll continue to modify my exercise regime where I can as the body wears out :D.

Today in the pool, which was a very aerobic workout, was a lady who is also in our ballet workout class. I was amazed to hear that her 70th birthday is next week as she is in great shape.

I'm probably also still in the "giddy" phase of the first few weeks of retirement

This week, I played singles tennis on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday as well as weights on Tuesday, Ballet workout Wednesday, Yoga/Pilates workout on Thursday and athletic water running on Friday. Plus a 13 mile bike ride on Wednesday.

...I'm probably also still in the "giddy" phase of the first few weeks of retirement
Yep. Either that or you're nuts...:D

Al, do you also do weights or some similar, or is the bike enough for you?

Ha

Yes, weights on Wednesday and Saturday. It only takes 30 minutes or so (see attached), and it's the thing that I credit most for making me feel younger. No back strains since 2008 when I started the weights.

Attachments

• WeightLiftingRecordSheet.xls
    9 KB · Views: 19
Yes, weights on Wednesday and Saturday. It only takes 30 minutes or so (see attached), and it's the thing that I credit most for making me feel younger. No back strains since 2008 when I started the weights.

Thanks Al. I know you live out in the country, so can you do this program with home weights or do you need to go to a gym somewhere?

If you do it at home, what would I need to copy this program?

Ha

I've never acted my age. I'll be 62 in July and retiring at that time. I've always been an avid hiker and backpacker, have done the Ironman triathlon 3 times (latest in 2007), ran several marathons, and now am training for a run across the Grand Canyon from south rim to north rim and return, a distance of 48 miles. I've basically told my wife that if I ever start acting my age that she should call the insane asylum and ask that I be admitted as a full time resident. :cool:

My motto has always been, "If you rest, you rust." :D

I've never acted my age. I'll be 62 in July and retiring at that time. I've always been an avid hiker and backpacker, have done the Ironman triathlon 3 times (latest in 2007), ran several marathons, and now am training for a run across the Grand Canyon from south rim to north rim and return, a distance of 48 miles. I've basically told my wife that if I ever start acting my age that she should call the insane asylum and ask that I be admitted as a full time resident. :cool:
With a username of Max Power, the statement above does not suprise me. ;)
My motto has always been, "If you rest, you rust." :D
Just call me 'Rusty'.....:angel:

Thanks Al. I know you live out in the country, so can you do this program with home weights or do you need to go to a gym somewhere?

If you do it at home, what would I need to copy this program?

Ha

I do it all with dumbbells plus a chin-up bar. This is my gym:

Weights.jpg

Most of that stuff came from garage sales (big surprise). I learned the different lifts from this book (recommended):

Amazon.com: Strength Training Past 50 - 2nd Edition (Ageless Athlete Series) (9780736067713): Wayne Westcott, Thomas R. Baechle: Books

The only problem with the system is I worry about dropping a dumbbell or having some other accident. For that reason, I may someday get a machine instead. However, many say that the extra muscle work necessary to control the dumbbells is important.

Back
Top Bottom