So, frugal people, what DO you allow yourselves?

REWahoo! said:
Yep, you've got to be pretty darned hungry to go for tree rat stew... :-\

Besides that, they are a real project to dress out. I shot quite a
few as a kid. Once you have one, you are in for a lot of work for
very little usable meat.

JG

REWahoo! said:
Now boys, behave yourselves! :D 

Have we deteriorated to the point of bragging about who on the board has ingested the most disgusting food item?  You damn right we have!!!! :D :D

If anyone posting here attended any of the military survival schools, it's not likely anyone who missed out on that "opportunity of a lifetime" will be able to measure up.  Be thankful you won't. :eek: :p

I am reminded of a line from 'First Blood'. Richard Crenna
opines that Rambo (Sly Stallone) could "survive on things that
would make a billy goat puke!' Interesting image.

JG

Cut-Throat said:
But the nastiest thing I've ever eaten was rotted shark fin, served during an Icelandic Feast.
Yuck!  :-X

Cutthroat:  Were you "blind drunk", or just "staggering around, with no idea where in the hell you were" kinda drunk when you ate that.? :D

REWahoo! said:
Now boys, behave yourselves! :D

Have we deteriorated to the point of bragging about who on the board has ingested the most disgusting food item? You damn right we have!!!! :D :D

If anyone posting here attended any of the military survival schools, it's not likely anyone who missed out on that "opportunity of a lifetime" will be able to measure up. Be thankful you won't. :eek: :p

Yep, when I was a youngun I ran around with a real racy crew: We ate minnows, itty-bitty garter snake heads, bugs, we gathered crayfish from the creek. Just about anything on a dare--as long as it was small enough not to chew. Most of it raw. Gimme a kiss, Martha :-*.

--Greg

MRGALT2U said:
Besides that, they are a real project to dress out. I shot quite a
few as a kid. Once you have one, you are in for a lot of work for
very little usable meat.

JG

When I was in Boy Scouts and went camping, we all brought guns, shot those little red squirrels, and skinned them for fun. This would usually keep us busy all day. In the evening, around the camp fire, we would plot how to get someone to eat X-Lax.

--Greg

DanTien said:
There's moose turd pie, prairie and rocky mountain oysters and aligator...I've eaten and kept down 3 of these.

I'll take your word for it, but I've heard that "moose turd pie", doesn't taste at all like chicken. ;)

ex-Jarhead said:
Cutthroat:  Were you "blind drunk", or just "staggering around, with no idea where in the hell you were" kinda drunk when you ate that.? :D

Actually, I was stone cold sober when I tried the Shark Fin. If I would have been 'In the bag', I might not have realized how bad it really was! :D  - I did notice that the 'regular' Icelandic folks at my table were not eating any of the Shark Fin, with the exception of the Guy that brought me!

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
When I was in Boy Scouts and went camping, we all brought guns, shot those little red squirrels, and skinned them for fun. This would usually keep us busy all day. In the evening, around the camp fire, we would plot how to get someone to eat X-Lax.

--Greg

Vladimir Alexander Greg,
I think I'm beginning to understand. Poor martha. :cool:

MRGALT2U said:
Hi Greg.  I never drink any soft drinks of any kind.  I wonder how
much in the minority that places me.

JG

I'm with ya there, JG. I never drink carbonated sodas, unless there's REALLY nothing else available. I drink a lot of the imitation juice drinks tho.

I only drink sodas if there's a shot of liquor in it. Jack+coke or rum+coke for me! Otherwise, tap water.

Sheryl said:
I'm with ya there, JG. I never drink carbonated sodas, unless there's REALLY nothing else available. I drink a lot of the imitation juice drinks tho.

Then you're in for a holiday treat.... ;)

"Seattle-based Jones Soda has brought back its line of goofy holiday sodas, including such flavors as turkey and gravy, wild herb stuffing and pumpkin pie.."

Well, it has been 2 months since our last trip.
We have just arrange a trip for 7 days in January 2006 to Borneo. Should be fun.

I can't remember the exact joke, but I heard it on Johnny Carson years ago:

How do you make Lutafisk?

You take the fish caught over the summer, pile them up behind the outhouse, pee on them everyday until New Year's Eve, then serve.

--Greg

REWahoo! said:
Vladimir Alexander Greg,
I think I'm beginning to understand. Poor martha. :cool:

I agree, sometime I feel sorry for her matrimonial situation too. But when it's good it's very very GOOD ok :D.

--Greg

I love my diet coke. :) When I was in law school I had a Tab and a smoke every day for breakfast. Then rode my bicycle 10 miles to school through heavy traffic.

Martha said:
I love my diet coke. :) When I was in law school I had a Tab and a smoke every day for breakfast. Then rode my bicycle 10 miles to school through heavy traffic.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Up hill both ways.

--Greg

ESRBob said:
Dan,
I actually did this puzzle -- particularly slow morning I'm afraid.
What is with these lutefisks -- are they rotten fish or something? Obviously I'm not a minnesotan or I would know.

Cod soaked in lye. Looks like jellied fish. The smell is the height of disgusting. Traditional here to have at Christmas time.

Martha, I don't know which was more death defying,  the chemicals in the Tab, the smoke or the bike ride.

No sodas here, either, ever since reading about the evils of high fructose corn syrup in drinks last year (doubled the risk of adult-onset diabetes in 5000 Boston nurses with just 2 drinks a day -- diet drinks and real fruit drinks didn't have any negative effect, which is good for the Tab drinkers out there, I guess.)

the most 'memorable' dish i had was haggis on robert burns night one year. (chopped up offal boiled in a little intestine pouch.) It is made somewhat more palatable by pouring single malt scotch liberally on it and eating it that way.

ESRBob said:
Dan,
I actually did this puzzle -- particularly slow morning I'm afraid.
What is with these lutefisks -- are they rotten fish or something? Obviously I'm not a minnesotan or I would know.

It's an old Scandinavian treat of Cod dried in a lye solution then stored for winter use. It's soaked in water to restore it, boiled, then served with various sauces such as hot mustard or butter.
We used to have our annual faimly Scandinavian feed every New Years Eve, and my uncle would say that if it's not grey, it's not worth eating. Now, do you wonder why Swedes enjoy sex so much? :D

--Greg

Back
Top Bottom