" SOC SEC FOR INS" US Treasury Check

cantlogin

Full time employment: Posting here.
I've been receiving Social Security Retirement benefits for two months.
The deposits I receive have been the anticipated monthly benefit minus the Medicare part B premium payment.

Yesterday, a check from the US treasury came to me in the US Mail.
There is no explanation other than the text " SOC SEC FOR INS" on the check.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

What does it mean?

A google search finds a lot of questions about checks like these, but no answers.

I'm going to call the Treasury and Social Security offices about this but i'm anticipating a lot of time on hold.

No experience but just a guess on my part.

Were you previously paying Part B premium on your own and the check is a refund of advance premiums paid since they started taking it out of SS? Is the check amount evenly divisible by $148.50?

For example if your SS started 2/1/20 and they wtihheld $148.50 for Part B premiums and in December you paid a $445.50 Part B premium bill for 1/1/20-3/31/20 then they would owe you $297.

A quick Google found it is usually for SSI benefits. It can also be for reimbursed Medicare deductions or payments. Possibly other.

As I recall, when I started receiving SS benefits at age 66, Medicare premiums were automatically withheld. I had previously paid Medicare premiums every 3 months. I did receive a check from the treasury for 2 month's Medicare reimbursement. I don't know what the details of the issuer said. To be certain, contact SS and ask.

No experience but just a guess on my part.

Were you previously paying Part B premium on your own and the check is a refund of advance premiums paid since they started taking it out of SS? Is the check amount evenly divisible by $148.50?

For example if your SS started 2/1/20 and they wtihheld $148.50 for Part B premiums and in December you paid a $445.50 Part B premium bill for 1/1/20-3/31/20 then they would owe you $297.

A quick Google found it is usually for SSI benefits. It can also be for reimbursed Medicare deductions or payments. Possibly other.

As I recall, when I started receiving SS benefits at age 66, Medicare premiums were automatically withheld. I had previously paid Medicare premiums every 3 months. I did receive a check from the treasury for 2 month's Medicare reimbursement. I don't know what the details of the issuer said. To be certain, contact SS and ask.

That's it!

Thanks.

Last year's Medicare premiums were slightly lower and I had prepaid quarterly. Only two of the payments overlapped the new Social Security payments, so the check amount matches the prepaid payments for Jan and Feb of this year.

Not too complicated after all, but I didn't see it without your help.

The Social Security office had no idea of what it could be either.
I'm glad I didn't contact the treasury or Medicare before getting your insight.

Back
Top Bottom