Social Security basics

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
This is an excellent short article explaining the basics of Social Security and providing links to SS related websites:

Solved: 10 Social Security mysteries - MarketWatch

#1: Will Social Security be there for me?
#2: Is Social Security a good deal?
#3: How does Social Security compute my payment?
#4: How can I get the most lifetime payments—by filing early, at FRA, or later?
#5: What are good Social Security planning tools?
#6: Will Social Security pay my family members?
#7: Can family members receive Social Security after I die?
#8: Can I work and still get Social Security?
#9: How do I file for Social Security?
#10: When can I enroll in Medicare?

Reading the article reminded me to put an item on my calendar reminding me to apply for Medicare later this year. That ICRS syndrome is going to cause me trouble one of these days.

They know they want to sell you a Part D and/or supplemental policy and they have your name, address and b'day.

They know they want to sell you a Part D and/or supplemental policy and they have your name, address and b'day.
I plan to keep my Federal policy and skip the part B, D, and supplements. But, I will thank them for the reminders.

Great article, thanks for sharing. I only wish that I could "hang my hat" on:

Mystery #1: Will Social Security be there for me? Social Security can pay 100% of all promised benefits until 2033. After 2033 it can pay about 75% of promised benefits. There are numerous options to extend solvency indefinitely with a mix of tax increases and/or benefit cuts. If you're a pessimist, subtract 25% from your SSA benefit estimate.

When it comes to the government, I'll admit, I'm a pessimist. Very much so!

Last edited:
I plan to keep my Federal policy and skip the part B, D, and supplements. But, I will thank them for the reminders.

This is my year too. I wondered, though, how you determined that you would be better off chosing to forgo Medicare B.

This is my year too. I wondered, though, how you determined that you would be better off chosing to forgo Medicare B.
I just talked to a lot of people and followed the discussion on the Fedsoup Medicare forum. As near as I can tell, you can do better buying the Part B if you have a boatload of copays over many years. DW and I have few and no reason to assume we will have a lot. The total costs to me with my current Fed policy and Medicare Part A if a worse case scenario develops is not a big deal. So I figure why bother. My thinking was confirmed by most people I talked to who gave it serious thought.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom