Soft Start for Existing Central Airconditioner?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
During a routine AC check & wash, our local HVAC service recommended adding a soft start module to my 6 year old Carrier 5-ton AC unit, $496 installed. I called Carrier to get another opinion, and the customer service rep told me they don't have any tech support :confused:, and suggested I get a second opinion from another local HVAC installer? Since they're selling parts & service, I wouldn't expect an installer to tell me whether I really need a soft start module or not. I understand soft start should reduce the startup loads, but I would hope the unit would have come with soft start if it was really needed. We don't have a generator (I understand why soft start is useful in that case). If it would double the life of the unit it would seem money well spent, but if it might extend the life 5% it doesn't sound cost effective - I have NO IDEA and didn't find any guidance online. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
During a routine AC check & wash, our local HVAC service recommended adding a soft start module to my 6 year old Carrier 5-ton AC unit, $496 installed.

I'd find another A/C contractor, that's a blatant ripoff and the guy should be ashamed. But some people have no shame.

If the A/C is running fine now, the answer is "Nope. You don't need it."

Disclosure: I know very little about HVAC systems.

Found this article interesting: The “Law of Unintended Consequences” – How a Service Part Can “Kill” the Compressor

- When the motor-run capacitor fails, the capacitance of the Hard-Start Kit is still connected to the compressor.

- With the Hard-Start Kit still connected, this will allow the compressor to start and run without the motor-run capacitor.

- The compressor was not designed to run without the motor-run capacitor, and it will overheat and lead to compressor failure.

- It’s estimated that between 2 to 3 million motor-run capacitors fail each year in Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Systems.

Last edited:
I had an A/C guy try to sell me one of those. First he went through the smoke and mirrors of showing me the instantaneous startup amperage draw and how it exceeded the spec. Then he showed my his turbo capacitor that he would install for the bargain price of ~$500.

I declined knowing that his smoke and mirrors was just that. After he left I looked up the exact part he showed me. It could be purchased on Amazon at the time for ~$40.

It's made it difficult for me to trust HVAC people ever since. Oh, by the way, the system still starts fine 7 years later without that add on and this is in Arizona, where it gets quite a workout.

If you live in an RV and rely on a generator or power inverter for electricity, then a soft start gadget might be a good idea. But if it works fine now, don't mess with it.

But if it works fine now, don't mess with it.

There’s a phrase to live by. My brother came home from the Navy with a little rhyme that went something like “been running a long time, workin’ just fine - don’t eff with it.” I’m sure I didn’t get it exactly right, but that’s the gist.

c0b9ddc7bdf70a61efb4ef2c31f76db8.jpg

OP - Smart of you to be wary of such a recommendation. Clever thinking to wonder why it didn't come with it originally if it's really needed.

I have no idea, but I've had 1 A/C last 30 years, but it was not used much.

Our current A/C in IL has lasted ~20 years, but I did have to replace the normal capacitor with another one for ~$15 when the original one failed at about 15 yrs.

This reminds me of rust proofing for cars.

You can purchase a really good one on Amazon for $30 to $40 or a cheap one for $10 to $20.

https://www.amazon.com/RECTORSEAL-96506-Kickstart-Hard-Start/dp/B008A3UJ7I

https://www.amazon.com/SPP6-Capacitor-Increase-Starting-Torque/dp/B0002YTLFE

If you are uncomfortable installing it yourself, you can probably call a local electrician and pay him for 30 minutes of his time.

Those are "Hard start" kits, the exact opposite of what OP is asking about.

I found this source on electronic soft start kits (software controlled, not just a passive capacitor/PTC, or similar), and they claim it does improve compressor life. Consider the source (it's from the manufacturer), and, by how much does it extend the life?

http://hypereng.com/literature/Hardstart-Softstart-Comparison.pdf

-ERD50

Forgive me but after 70 years, I'm new to central air. What does this soft start supposed to do? Sounds like it's supposed to smooth the high draw on startup? Why should I care?

Forgive me but after 70 years, I'm new to central air. What does this soft start supposed to do? Sounds like it's supposed to smooth the high draw on startup? Why should I care?

You shouldn't care. A properly designed system doesn't need anything extra. It takes care of the start up issues with the original design.

To me, it is like after-market modifications to various systems on your car, or adding some additive to your oil or gas tank. Almost never necessary.

To me, it is like after-market modifications to various systems on your car, or adding some additive to your oil or gas tank. Almost never necessary.

So, I can remove the water injection system that I attached to my car’s carburetor in 1972? I was supposed to increase Mileage by 50%.

I see your point. A properly designed device should not need 3rd party add-ons to run normally under normal conditions.

So, I can remove the water injection system that I attached to my car’s carburetor in 1972? I was supposed to increase Mileage by 50%.

I see your point. A properly designed device should not need 3rd party add-ons to run normally under normal conditions.

Just don't remove those magnets on the fuel line that increase mileage 50% by realigning the gasoline molecules.

Oh no, leave that installed. The effects are additive with all the other secret inventions that the oil companies don't want anyone to know about.

Just don't remove those magnets on the fuel line that increase mileage 50% by realigning the gasoline molecules.

Yup, leave that on, and I'm still using the special multipronged spark plugs that combined with the other two increased my gas mileage by an additional 30%. Combined with the water injection and the magnets on the fuel line, that increased my gas mileage by 130% and my car now generates gasoline every time I drive it and I have to give it away because I ran out of storage space for all the excess.

Last edited:
Ha ha ha. Well, I'm not saying that added start-up circuitry won't do something. It is kind of like adding a K&N filter to your car in lieu of the standard air setup. It works, it does something.

But do you need it?

Ha ha ha. Well, I'm not saying that added start-up circuitry won't do something. It is kind of like adding a K&N filter to your car in lieu of the standard air setup. It works, it does something.

But do you need it?
I’m sure they do something, but I couldn’t find anything online that would quantify how much it might help, is it 0.5%,5% or 50% longer life? Guess I’ll research again when I have to replace my AC, should be another 5-10 years or more…

I installed a soft start on the AC of my camper trailer and it makes a huge difference in the starting load on my little Honda generator. That said, I don’t see the need for one plugged into the grid unless your AC also is run by a backup generator.

Not just a capacitor, but a circuit board that ramps voltage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom