Some good thoughts about the future.

Dex, great post. We can't control the market and economy - only how we react to it. Today's challenges present an excellent opportunity to get back to basics. Reflect on what is really important (many have chimed in on that already).

Good thoughts?? Hold on, let me go get a couple of beers first.

I'm mindful that half of the people on Earth would kill for a chance to go through the dumpster behind the average American restaurant.

Half? Really? Could you please attribute that to a reputable source?

When I was in Tanzania the safari driver said that 30% of the people wake up not knowing where they were going to get their meals that day. Tanzania is a very poor country and 30% is high.

Dex, great post. We can't control the market and economy - only how we react to it. Today's challenges present an excellent opportunity to get back to basics. Reflect on what is really important (many have chimed in on that already).

But we can control our own personal economy and we can make investment choices, even right now. That freedom is worth a lot.

Also, what does "back to basics" mean? Are you referring to living like it's the 70s? Not so bad, I was happy without many material things, no restaurant meals, no travel, beat up VW, thrift store clothes. Is that it?
I have to say that at age 59 I had hoped for a life with a little more luxury, more international travel in particular.

But it is what it is.

When I was in Tanzania the safari driver said that 30% of the people wake up not knowing where they were going to get their meals that day. Tanzania is a very poor country and 30% is high.

Half might be good for government work.

Poverty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The World Bank defines extreme poverty as living on less than US$ (PPP) 1 per day, and moderate poverty as less than $2 a day, estimating that "in 2001, 1.1 billion people had consumption levels below $1 a day and 2.7 billion lived on less than $2 a day."[3]

Dex,

What I love about yours posts is how you challenge me to think outside the box. When I reflect back on my life, the happiest times were often when DH and I didn't have two nickles to rub together. We are both 53 like you and while our paths may have been quite different, we have shared the same events at the same stage in life. Hope you're feeling better.

Dex,
When I reflect back on my life, the happiest times were often when DH and I didn't have two nickles to rub together.

Is that because you didn't have any money, or because you were young? ;)

I'm thankful every single day that I live in the USA. I'm not worried about "losing it all" as I think opportunities exist for me to go out and earn it all back. It's only money after all...

I have my health, family is healthy.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No, I haven't lost my marbles. Today is Canadian Thanksgiving (it's already snowing in Saskatchewan), and we do have a lot to be thankful for.

Last edited:

No I can't. Probably should have said MANY people on Earth would kill to dumpster dive behind an American restaurant. The hankster can sometimes be melodramatic:(

I just think about the way average Americans throw away things that would be treasures to people living in poverty. It makes me want to be less wasteful and more grateful for what I have.

Is that because you didn't have any money, or because you were young? ;)

Good point. I remember the 70s well. I was a single mother putting myself through college and graduate school. I loved my life and what I was doing. But I had literally no money at the end of the month. I remember feeding my son and going hungry for a few days. Restaurants? I can count on one hand the number of times I ate in a restaurant during four years of college.

I had a wardrobe that I could pack in one suitcase. When I moved to CO for grad school I had no winter clothes or shoes. Went to the thrift store. But I never felt deprived! Amazing to me now. I am so spoiled.

Oldbabe, I went to college in a suitcase and 2 cardboard boxes.

Not having all the modern electronic stuff did keep the accumulation down - I was never a clothing collector.

ta,
mews

Saint's won - in the dome yet.

heh heh heh - :angel: I'll leave the deeper thoughts to others.

i am grateful that i can travel and see sights like this. does anyone recognize this lighthouse? :)

Attachments

• PA120070.jpg
    PA120070.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom