Sonos

Ready

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I’ve heard a lot about Sonos speakers over the years but up until recently have not paid much attention to them. With the recent purchase a a 77 inch LG OLED TV I thought it would be nice to have a good soundbar to go with it. The Sonos Arc has received great reviews so I thought I would give it a try.

I placed an order in early November through Sonos, and I still have not received it yet. I’ve tried several times to call Sonos but after waiting on hold for long periods of time I never got a live person on the phone. I just sent them an email to inquire about order status and they send back a reply saying they need 7 days to respond to my email due to overwhelming call volume.

Their website shows a ship date of January 22, 2021 if you place an order for an Arc today. So that means no possibility of buying one as a holiday gift if you did not already place your order. What is going on with Sonos? How could it be this difficult to produce a sound bar that sells for $800? Are there really that many people trying to buy this thing?

I've been looking to get an Arc since they released it. BestBuy has never had them in stock, although right now they have the white ones. Not sure why there is such a backlog, but it's the same with telescopes. I've had an Orion telescope on order since Sept. Supposed to ship tomorrow, but it's been delayed many times.

I've had Sonos for home sound for probably 6-7 years. Was unhappy with performance of stereo/entertainment Onkyo and speakers used for TV so went with a Sonos soundbar about two years ago. Then about two months ago the soundbar started making horrible very loud static while watching TV. Was out of warranty but sent a video in to Sonos and they said, yep, it's bad. Offered me 30% off on a new soundbar (about $600).

Did my research and discovered the Arc and how it was backordered everywhere. It was highly rated so pleaded with Sonos to apply 30% equivalent to Arc. No deal.

Did more research and realized that they had upgraded their system software such that my four older audio units would not play with a new Arc. But, they offer that for any older unit you have you can apply it's credentials to 30% off the newer models. So I simply "upgraded" my old soundbar with an Arc, 30% discount on the Arc with no consideration of the old soundbar's demise. Also got four new audio units to replace older ones with the discount. I had the old soundbar paired with a subwoofer that thankfully would work on the newer system.

Am very pleased with the new system; my hearing is deteriorating, esp w TV dialog and it seems to be an improvement. The simple audio speakers are also improved in sound quality. I know there are some deep audiophiles here who would not approve, but for me it's all great. SIL has an almost six figure system that I can marginally appreciate being a bit better but after years of industrial hearing abuse my appreciation for sound is pretty well satisfied by the Sonos. It took about 2-3 weeks after ordered for the Arc to show up but I'm sure Christmas makes it a good bit longer.

The size of the Arc is improvement over older soundbar. Lower profile, a bit longer. Only place for our TV is over mantle, and the Arc allows the TV to be a bit lower. It protudes out from under the curved LG OLED rather than being somewhat behind it. I guess all similar systems work same way, but if listening to Sonos music in house and turn TV on it just switches the Arc (and sub and the two pair rear units) to the TV. Oh, and the Arc has some (fill in the blank if you know the acronym, I'm not looking it up) feature that bounces sound up to ceiling, unfortunately my LG OLED TV that I paid ridiculous amount for because it was when OLED first came out following death of previous TV, doesn't want to talk to the Arc. Needs HDMI sound output and has only optical plug. No, I'm not buying a new TV to accommodate!

Can't speculate on the supply and demand issues but I think patience will pay off. Purchased an LG CX77 about a month ago and wanted an ARC to go with it. Salesman told me they were OOS with no known delivery date. Went back on black Friday to buy One SL's that were on sale and was very pleased when they said they had one ARC just delivered that morning. The ARC is a dramatic improvement on my old higher-end Samsung with sub and wireless surrounds. The sub is well worth it and really packs a punch and the surrounds work well. I don't think I'd recommend the ARC without the sub but could definitely live without the surrounds. Watched "The Sapphires" last night and was very, very pleased with the movie, the TV, and the ARC.

BTW, the ARC replaced an Echo dot. The built in Alexa works very well.

Last edited:
Have a Sonos Playbar with Sonos Sub and a couple of Sonos Ones at the cottage for a 65" LG OLED and have been pleased with the results. Set up was dead easy.

The reason I like the Sonos soundbbar is the app. It allows you to tune the system to the room. The before and after is quite remarkable. Wish my Roku speaker system had that.

.... unfortunately my LG OLED TV that I paid ridiculous amount for because it was when OLED first came out following death of previous TV, doesn't want to talk to the Arc. Needs HDMI sound output and has only optical plug. No, I'm not buying a new TV to accommodate!

How about $25?

Optical Audio Adaptor
Visit the Sonos Store
4.2 out of 5 stars 234 ratings
| 24 answered questions
#1 Best Seller in Audio & Video Crossover Parts
Price: $25.00 & FREE Shipping. Details & FREE Returns

Connect your Sonos beam sound bar to your Tv's optical audio output

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-OPADPW...o+optical+audio+adapter&qid=1607380377&sr=8-3

https://www.sonos.com/en/shop/optical-audio-adapter.html

-ERD50

Have a Sonos Playbar with Sonos Sub and a couple of Sonos Ones at the cottage for a 65" LG OLED and have been pleased with the results. Set up was dead easy.
Agreed. I have the exact same Sonos audio set up and it sounds great to me. My son is an audio purist, but even he likes the sound the Sonos speakers put out.

I even have another Sonos One in my bedroom as my "sound machine" to help fall asleep and as my "alarm" to wake up in the morning.

We have been quite happy with our Sonos sound bar and other speakers.
As for supplies, Covid is wrecking havoc with many businesses.
We ordered a computer in October, due to ship November 2nd. It still hasn't shipped yet. Three weeks of the delay was because they couldn't get parts. One, so far, has been partial closure of their assembly area due to Covid.

Patience should work well for you, many have it far worse.

Agreed. I have the exact same Sonos audio set up and it sounds great to me. My son is an audio purist, but even he likes the sound the Sonos speakers put out.

I even have another Sonos One in my bedroom as my "sound machine" to help fall asleep and as my "alarm" to wake up in the morning.
Yes I too have been happy with Sonos. I have a few other One/SL speakers around and just bought a Move when they were on sale a couple of weeks ago.

I went shopping at Costco this evening and saw they now carry the Sonos Arc SL, which is the Arc without the microphone - so no Alexa or Google Assistant. Otherwise it's the same soundbar for $750.

But I've waited this long so I think I'm going to wait a little longer and see if Sonos ships one to me. I want the microphone, and with my employee perk discount my cost on the Arc was $680. So I don't really want to pay more money for less product.

How about $25?

Optical Audio Adaptor
Visit the Sonos Store
4.2 out of 5 stars 234 ratings
| 24 answered questions
#1 Best Seller in Audio & Video Crossover Parts
Price: $25.00 & FREE Shipping. Details & FREE Returns

Connect your Sonos beam sound bar to your Tv's optical audio output

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-OPADPW...o+optical+audio+adapter&qid=1607380377&sr=8-3

https://www.sonos.com/en/shop/optical-audio-adapter.html

-ERD50

Got me all excited! Unfortunately, on the Sonos site it indicates that the Atmos feature isn't supported by the optical output (through and adapter). Grrr. :mad:

Our Sonos Arc was ordered on 23 September. Delivery is currently scheduled for 21 December. Hopefully, as it has been rescheduled/delayed once.

Our Sonos Arc was ordered on 23 September. Delivery is currently scheduled for 21 December. Hopefully, as it has been rescheduled/delayed once.

What was your initial estimated delivery date? Mine was December 4th but I'm still on back order. Do you have access to a Costco? They seem to have plenty in stock.

I just moved & got frustrated with running hard wire to speakers, sound bar & Sub. So I ran down to Costco & got the Beam & a 2 pack one One/SL speakers. It took longer to unplug the wired system than to set up the Sonos. I have 2 other One speakers in the Living room/Dining area. Still want to adjust the Beam & speakers to get a bit more sound from behind me. The speakers are on the floor now but i bought some speaker stands so will play around with the sound balance when they arrive. Planning on an 80" TV in the near future

I put the wired system on Craigslist & NextDoor but no bites so far. I may have to donate it to a teenager to annoy his parents

Back
Top Bottom