Space Shuttle workers face hard times...

Redbugdave

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This article, (below), was posted in the paper. I have mixed emotions about this. I think many of these people were entrenched in their jobs and not looking at the reality of the situation. I have gone through a couple large reorganizations and know what it's like to go through something like that. However, I jumped before the axe fell, and moved on. Do you think many of these people were too passive about their situation? Maybe I am too harsh? No one will look out for you...but you. Opinions?
Space workers struggle a year after last shuttle | Fox News

TITUSVILLE, Fla. – A year after NASA ended the three-decade-long U.S. space shuttle program, thousands of formerly well-paid engineers and other workers around the Kennedy Space Center are still struggling to find jobs to replace the careers that flourished when shuttles blasted off from the Florida "Space Coast."
Some have headed to South Carolina to build airplanes in that state's growing industry, and others have moved as far as Afghanistan to work as government contractors. Some found lower-paying jobs beneath their technical skills that allowed them to stay. Many are still looking for work and cutting back on things like driving and utilities to save money.

___

Last edited by a moderator:
I attempted to post my own comments on this article, but they wanted me to log in to facebook and post that way. I get enough spammy crap on my facebook already...

Basically, my feeling is that anybody earning anything close to 100k a year who hasn't prepared themselves for retirement by their mid-50's or 60's really has no right to gripe about this kind of situation. What were they doing with the money in the preceding years? How can you be 60 yrs old, earning 100k and have nothing to show for it? Poor planning and not my fault. I do feel some for the mid-aged workers with young families. However, this wasn't a surprise, there was talk about it for quite awhile before it happened. Sometimes you have to try to get ahead of the ball before it actually runs over you.

The 62 year old former projects manager worked 33 years there...wasn' t there a pension of some sorts he can draw from?

I attempted to post my own comments on this article, but they wanted me to log in to facebook and post that way. I get enough spammy crap on my facebook already...

Basically, my feeling is that anybody earning anything close to 100k a year who hasn't prepared themselves for retirement by their mid-50's or 60's really has no right to gripe about this kind of situation. What were they doing with the money in the preceding years? How can you be 60 yrs old, earning 100k and have nothing to show for it? Poor planning and not my fault. I do feel some for the mid-aged workers with young families. However, this wasn't a surprise, there was talk about it for quite awhile before it happened. Sometimes you have to try to get ahead of the ball before it actually runs over you.

Hey there Marty! (1 yr 5 months for me!). Yes, when I saw the salaries I wondered that, too. And I would think many of them would have some sort of buyout since many are contractors, but who knows. I was also thinking about not being prepared and knowing the train was about to wreck. Not good planning.

Also, sometimes your job is so specialized that you price yourself right out of the market, too. And now it's, "Welcome to the real world"...

Last edited:
Large government programs sometimes do this. I'm thinking of the aerospace layoffs in the 1970's, the defense layoff's in the 1970's, the naval base closures in the 1990's, etc.

But similar things happen in the private sector all the time. Happens every time we go into recessions.

It's tough out there. Few are completely safe.

I saw a shoe (IIRC, 60 minutes)... and I was thinking the same thing...

The complaint was 'I worked here 30 whatever years and now I am left in the cold'....

Like any other job market, you have to be flexible... if there are no more launches, then your job has been eliminated (like the buggy whip makers)... you take your skills and move on to where your skill is needed... and it is not Titusville...

The 62 year old former projects manager worked 33 years there...wasn' t there a pension of some sorts he can draw from?
Ha!

I worked as a PM upon my retirement. The only thing I was "given" was the proceeds from my 401(k) along with my own personal savings, after almost 30 years.

It's a different world out there for non-government workers, along with the current (not post-WWII) generation.

Welcome to the (current) future...

I grew up in Titusville. I still have family there. It is sad to see how much the town has declined. It is equally sad to consider that the next people to walk on the moon or even to go to Mars will not be Americans. Real estate prices in Titusville are way down. Good news if you are looking for a nice house at a bargain price. Bad news for my extended family as we have two houses to sell there.

I grew up in Titusville. I still have family there. It is sad to see how much the town has declined. It is equally sad to consider that the next people to walk on the moon or even to go to Mars will not be Americans. Real estate prices in Titusville are way down. Good news if you are looking for a nice house at a bargain price. Bad news for my extended family as we have two houses to sell there.

A friend of mine is one of the folks who worked there and lost his job. He had only been on the job for 3-4 yrs, is in his late 40's and is an engineer. He was already living in the area, really likes it, and I'd be surprised if he decides to relocate. I think he's been socking away money for retirement, but I doubt he'll be able to do it just yet. Great guy, and I hope he finds something worthy of his talents.

I have been to the Titusville area, but it's been a long, long time. I thought it was a pretty cool place back in 1979, but haven't been back since.

Bill, the guy who went to Afghanistan for a year, understands the picture. The nasa environment they worked in was very specialized, very lucrative, but subject to macro forces. Sometimes you need to make a tough choice of your own and move on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom