Specific ? on Healthcare changes in 2014

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm starting a new thread for this question , as politics are not involved. ( or at least I don't think so)

Am I reading the Healthcare Reform Summery correct , as to rates and underwriting, only being dependent on age, gender an tobaco use ? And pre-existing conditions irevelvent ?

Thank's in advance.

Am I reading the Healthcare Reform Summery correct , as to rates and underwriting, only being dependent on age, gender an tobaco use ? And pre-existing conditions irevelvent ?
Here's what I found (from this link):

Premium Rating Rules: Until enactment of the new law, insurers could incorporate information on many factors when determining premium rates—health status, age, gender, geography, tobacco use, industry/occupation, and family size, among others. The new law, however, limits rating factors to age, tobacco, family size, and geography. The age rating factor cannot vary by more than 3:1, which means that an older individual cannot be charged premiums more than three times the premiums for a younger individual. The tobacco rating factor cannot vary by more than 1.5:1, which means that a smoker would not pay more than 1.5 times what a non-smoker would pay.
I wouldn't think it prudent to make any irrevocable decisions based on what we think might happen in 2014 regarding health insurance. That's a LONG way away in political terms.

I'm starting a new thread for this question , as politics are not involved. ( or at least I don't think so)

Thank's in advance.

From HealthCare.gov (official site)
healthcare.gov/law/timeline/index.html
(go to the last but one item in 2014 timeline)
"No Discrimination Due to Pre-Existing Conditions or Gender

Effective January 1, 2014
The law implements strong reforms that prohibit insurance companies from refusing to sell coverage or renew policies because of an individual’s pre-existing conditions. Also, in the individual and small group market, it eliminates the ability of insurance companies to charge higher rates due to gender or health status."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom