Spousal SS (an easy question)

So for those of us born after 1953, there is an incentive to wait until FRA to claim SS whether DH or I are the higher earner. Our incomes are similar. We have not claimed SS yet.

Is this correct ?

I'v never heard anything like that and I'm born after 1953.

I can start a new thread if need be. I have a possibly not easy question.

Couple is married 10+ years and then divorces. Husband is 15 years younger then wife.
IRS rules say:
  • (ex)wife is still eligible for (1/2 of) (ex)husbands spousal benefits
  • she cannot get those spousal benefits until the younger husband is retirement age (62?).

Question:
If 1/2 husband's benefits are greater than her full benefits, will her SS payments go up when she's 77? Or is she 'locked in' to her own benefit once she begins getting SS?

If her own benefits are greater when she is age 70 (not 77) AND if she waits until she is full retirement age to claim spousal, AND if she was born on or before 01/01/1954 AND if she did not remarry before age 60 then yes, her benefits will increase at age 70. Otherwise, if she does not meet all 4 of those conditions, then no. This is only in regard to spousal benefits, not survivor.

I’ve been pretty impressed by both SS and Medicare as far as clarity and effort to make it understandable to fuzzy headed old people.

The additional questions here and those that appear here every few weeks about SS don't seem to confirm that view.
Not trying to be contentious, but there seems to be a lot of confusion from those fuzzy headed and otherwise.

If her own benefits are greater when she is age 70 (not 77) AND if she waits until she is full retirement age to claim spousal, AND if she was born on or before 01/01/1954 AND if she did not remarry before age 60 then yes, her benefits will increase at age 70. Otherwise, if she does not meet all 4 of those conditions, then no. This is only in regard to spousal benefits, not survivor.

Born after 1954, so no Deemed Filing. Assuming no remarrying.

So to be clear; She takes SS at her FRA. When she's 77, ex-husband becomes eligible for SS and 1/2 his full retirement amount is more then hers, she is stuck with the lesser amount she is already receiving.

Oh. OK. Actually, she if she is born after 1954 it is deemed filing. BUT, if she will be entitled to more once her ex is of age then yes, she should be able to receive a bump up since she would not be eligible to receive it until then. It won't be automatic. She should contact SS at that time.

Oh. OK. Actually, she if she is born after 1954 it is deemed filing. BUT, if she will be entitled to more once her ex is of age then yes, she should be able to receive a bump up since she would not be eligible to receive it until then. It won't be automatic. She should contact SS at that time.

Ah, so I got deemed filing backwards. Deemed happens if your are post 1954 and pre-1954 is the 'file and suspend' stuff.

Thanks for the info MissMolly!

So for those of us born after 1953, there is an incentive to wait until FRA to claim SS whether DH or I are the higher earner. Our incomes are similar. We have not claimed SS yet.

Is this correct ?

Not sure what you mean by incentive.

At FRA, you will get 100% of your benefit, if you claim earlier you get less for every month earlier, if you wait longer up to age 70 you get more for every month past FRA.

Honestly, it's best to check out website http://opensocialsecurity.com/ You only need the FRA number from your SS annual statement, it's very easy to use.

The additional questions here and those that appear here every few weeks about SS don't seem to confirm that view.
Not trying to be contentious, but there seems to be a lot of confusion from those fuzzy headed and otherwise.

Compared to what? I never said it was simple, but have you ever read any modern contract, even to access a website, let alone rent a car? Most of the reason SS is complicated is because they are so generous giving second chances to pay back, to start collecting early or late, survivor benefits, spousal benefits for people that never worked a day in their lives.....

They could make it much simpler by saying that you collect at 67. No restarts, no spousal, no disability coverage, no survivor benefit. Payout is based on a multiplier of what you paid in, period.

Back
Top Bottom