Spring 2024 booster

I've had all the different shingles shots and never had the slightest reaction to any of them. But I attribute that to the fact that I had already had shingles in the years before I knew about the shots. And yes, it was bad.

I didn't have an reaction with either of the Shingrix shots.

Me neither. But that's the problem with these individual case reports. They are all true, of course, but they almost always provide a totally distorted picture.

I've heard of people getting severe tinnitus from Shingrix. Scary thought.

I'll get it as soon as possible. I say that as I'm suffering from my 4th case of Covid-19. This one has been going on for almost 2 weeks and my wife can't breathe.

I've had tinnitus for years. I thought the COVID-19 vaccine made it worse, then the Shingrix. Finally decided my brain eventually adapts to the cricket symphony going on in my ears. The vaccines are important. I'm waiting for my most recent Covid test to come back negative before I schedule the spring booster. DH was sick for almost 2 weeks but it turned out to be the flu and no strep throat. I just got tested to be sure.

DH and I both had Covid at Christmas/New Year time. So I read we need to wait 3 months or so. I made a note for May 1.

I definitely felt the first shingles shot. I was tired yesterday and did very little. Today I'm feeling better.

Tinnitus has recently kicked in for me. Not sure what to make of it. It happened outside of any vaccines, so that's not a factor, and doesn't seem any better/worse after the shingles shot (and I've had all covid shots too, never had any issues with them).

People attribute their symptoms to all sorts of things but actually proving causation isn't easy

I've had tinnitus for years. I thought the COVID-19 vaccine made it worse, then the Shingrix. Finally decided my brain eventually adapts to the cricket symphony going on in my ears. The vaccines are important.
I have severe - hear it over everything all the time. I don't think COVID vaccinations made it any worse - probably just too much noise exposure and noise traumas causing moderate hearing loss. My brain adapted to increasing tinnitus for a couple decades or so... until two years ago it was just too much of an increase that I hear it over everything all day and continues to cause a lot of anxiety and insomnia. I think COVID is a bigger risk of that than the vaccination, so I keep getting the vaccinations I'm eligible for. I haven't given into Shingrix yet.
People attribute their symptoms to all sorts of things but actually proving causation isn't easy
No, some things really can't be proved, but there are so many cases of people starting a specific medication and soon getting tinnitus, or worsening tinnitus. I don't think it's a coincidence. Just because it can't be proved doesn't mean it should be completely dismissed. But like I said, I still get my COVID vaccinations. The illness is a lot more risky.

Last edited:
Just an FYI for people who have had reactions to the Covid vaccines. I got a red arm at the vaccine site for both the first doses-second dose much worse than the first.
On the first booster-so third shot-I broke out in itchy skin all over my body.
All three doses were the Moderna vaccine.
Went to the dr. got some medication for my skin but he was concerned that I was allergic to one of the ingredients they call PEGS. I think it's polyethylene glycol that is an ingredient in many life saving drugs. I asked to get tested and was referred to an Allergist.
Allergist tested me for many things-which was good-and I was not allergic to the PEGs. Also good! He suggested taking the Pfizer vaccine on the next booster which I did. No side effects from the Pfizer vaccine at all. That was 3 doses ago.
Again just an FYI in case this is helpful to anyone who has had a reaction to the vaccine.

I will be getting the new booster but my issue is timing. Last booster as 11-6-24. I was hoping to get on a 6 month schedule but I'm going on a short trip the first week in April, driving and mostly outside activities but some indoors. I'm also going on a longer trip the end of July-also driving and a combination of indoor and outdoor activities.
I'm leaning towards keeping to the 6 month schedule but I just don't know! Sigh.

Yeah Shingrix was painful but totally worth it compared to getting shingles. I'm hoping I can get a booster for Covid in May as that will be my six month mark but guess we will see how it shakes out for us under-65s. I'm down for paying out of pocket for it if I have to.

I will be getting the new booster but my issue is timing. Last booster as 11-6-24. I was hoping to get on a 6 month schedule but I'm going on a short trip the first week in April, driving and mostly outside activities but some indoors. I'm also going on a longer trip the end of July-also driving and a combination of indoor and outdoor activities.
I'm leaning towards keeping to the 6 month schedule but I just don't know! Sigh.

I think the expectation is that there will be another booster in the fall, for everyone.

It should be based on newer strains, whichever ones become dominant over the course of the year.

I got mine in early October so I'm thinking late March or early April should be good and then another one 6 months later.

Also leaving on a trip in early April.

No, some things really can't be proved, but there are so many cases of people starting a specific medication and soon getting tinnitus, or worsening tinnitus. I don't think it's a coincidence. Just because it can't be proved doesn't mean it should be completely dismissed. But like I said, I still get my COVID vaccinations. The illness is a lot more risky.

Sure there are medications that are known to be ototoxic. You are free to believe what you want about the Covid vaccine. There isn't any evidence that it isn't just a coincidence.

In this article the risk was 4/10,000 in the first 21 days and this was lower than other vaccines. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36098476

Sure there are medications that are known to be ototoxic. You are free to believe what you want about the Covid vaccine. There isn't any evidence that it isn't just a coincidence.

In this article the risk was 4/10,000 in the first 21 days and this was lower than other vaccines. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36098476
Your article is about the COVID vaccination. Shingrix is the one I was expressing concern about getting. I get the COVID vaccination because I consider it less of a risk than the illness, which you are almost certain to get and possible long COVID if you aren't vaccinated.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f55/spring-2024-booster-121138-3.html#post3062118

I'm well aware of the ototoxic med lists - it seems like very many common meds are actually on them.

On those nih studies, I find that with a little searching, you can usually find another one that contradicts it.

Last edited:
New COVID-19 vaccine available

Los Angeles County Department of Public Health sent me a text message: Adults 65 years and older are now recommended to receive an additional does of the updated 2023-2024 COVID-19 vaccine.

CVS appointment online asks for at least 4 months from last vaccine. I will wait to schedule it next week.

post moved to existing thread

I'll be scheduling ours for next week as we're off to Vegas mid-April and planning on catching the 2 Cirque shows we haven't yet seen along with hordes of our best buds.

I scheduled a booster vaccination online at local Safeway pharmacy for this morning, about two weeks ago.

It would be about 6 months since I got the fall booster.

It took my information, including birthdate which indicates that I'm under 65.

Went there this morning and the clerk asked me if I was 65 or older or was immune-compromised. I told her I wasn't.

She said that I couldn't get the booster.

I asked if I could pay or have my insurance pay. She said no.

So got home and scheduled an appointment at a CVS in the afternoon. Again I entered my birthdate and answered questions about whether I was immune compromised or had other conditions, like myocarditis or drug allergies.

When I went to the CVS, a young man looked up my appointment on the computer and then had me go to a "minute clinic" area they set off to the side of the pharmacy counter.

He asked left or right arm, I said left.

Waited about 5 minutes and as soon as I took off my jacket and rolled up my left sleeve, he rubbed it with alcohol wipe and just sticked it, no warnings or anything.

I asked and he answered that it would be uploaded to the CA vaccine registry.

Got home, got an email from CVS. It lists the store number, the vaccine lot number and says if my state has a registry it will be uploaded there.

So some pharmacies are being strict and others are not being strict at all about eligibility.

I don't know if my ACA insurance can access my vaccine records from the CA registry.

But apparently neither I nor my insurance will be billed because I've never gone to that pharmacy before and they don't have my insurance info.

I waffle over getting anymore Covid boosters. I've had 5 (I think). All that was available up until last fall. They didn't have the newest one out in time for me to take it before our Oct cruise. For every Covid shot I am down for 3 days with chills, fever and body aches so I need to plan them in advance when I have nothing going on. With 3 grandkids that I help with, the planning is difficult.

We took a cruise in Oct and came down with Covid as soon as we got home. It was very mild. DH and I both have medical issues and luckily it was no worse than a cold for us.

DH refuses to get any more Covid vaccinations, I don't know what to do. I had my flu shot and RSV. No issues with either, but the reaction to the Covid shot has caused inaction by me.

I waffle over getting anymore Covid boosters. I've had 5 (I think). All that was available up until last fall. They didn't have the newest one out in time for me to take it before our Oct cruise. For every Covid shot I am down for 3 days with chills, fever and body aches so I need to plan them in advance when I have nothing going on. With 3 grandkids that I help with, the planning is difficult.

We took a cruise in Oct and came down with Covid as soon as we got home. It was very mild. DH and I both have medical issues and luckily it was no worse than a cold for us.

DH refuses to get any more Covid vaccinations, I don't know what to do. I had my flu shot and RSV. No issues with either, but the reaction to the Covid shot has caused inaction by me.

The problem is that we get a mild case sometimes because we got the booster. I'm not sure I want to gamble and find out what happens without it (even though I would prefer not to have had every single one that came out)..

But apparently neither I nor my insurance will be billed because I've never gone to that pharmacy before and they don't have my insurance info.
Hmm. I'm under 65 also but am not sure I want to try that. I started the online process with CVS just to see what happens when I enter my birthdate and selecting selecting COVID. But it did say early in the online process to have my insurance card. I canceled before completing the registration. My insurance may not pay since I'm under 65. I've had every COVID vaccination I've been eligible for to date.

I wasn’t asked for my insurance and I fill my prescriptions at a different pharmacy so they wouldn’t know where to bill.

I didn’t know if they’d say no like Safeway did. I figure it was worth a try since I’m traveling next week.

Blue light, I had the same problem as you every time so decided against having any more. I actually was sicker from the vaccine than when I got Covid. Other than my siblings I don’t know anyone else that had this problem.

We have our boosters scheduled for mid April, 6 months from the last one. And 6 months until October, when we generally get flu vaccine and another Covid booster if they have a new one adjusted for the upcoming season!
Last booster, just had a sore arm for a couple of days. No fever or aching muscles/bones like the first ones.

Back
Top Bottom