Stacking burger toppings

While I have no problems with veggies, I tend to agree with you. Except for a nice slice of a ripe tomato. Not too thick or thin. Except, tomatoes are a fruit, so I guess I still agree with you. Gosh this is confusing.

I’ll allow it - as long as it’s a vine ripened summer tomato with some real flavor.

No problems for me no matter how I stack/load stuff on my burgers. Now hot dog loading is a different story. Always messy.

I put the mustard and toppings on the bun first, then the dog. Things tend to fall off a little less that way. If you accidently split the bottom of the bun, all bets are off.

Ground beef from our own cow, cheddar cheese, whole wheat bun with 1/4 slice of Vidalia onion, Heinz relish, Heinz ketchup, and Heinz yellow mustard

Ground beef from our own cow...

I don’t have my own cows, but we started buying our beef from a local butcher near us. Wow, there’s a noticeable taste difference. Even the ground beef so much tastier. My understanding is that the butcher gets his beef locally.

So good.

I don’t have my own cows, but we started buying our beef from a local butcher near us. Wow, there’s a noticeable taste difference. Even the ground beef so much tastier. My understanding is that the butcher gets his beef locally.

So good.

I just don't know if I could raise a cow and butcher it. Of course, I love beef, so I might change my mind if it came down to it. But I think the "closer the better" for just about any food.

Top bun
mayo
tomato
salt and pepper
lettuce
hamburger
salt and pepper again
cheese
bacon (if used, omit second salt above)
pickle
onion
mustard (and ketchup if used)
bottom bun

So good.

We have been buying a whole or half cow for almost 30 years from the same guy. He and my wife worked together as teachers back about 1992. Always wanting feedback, he takes pride in his Black Angus herd. He did try us to go all grass fed, but I like the flavor better when put on grain the last month and in his smaller pasture.

Funny this topic was asked, brought back an old memory... My first job at 16 in the mid 70s (other than paper route and cutting grass) was at a Wendy's. At the time, the advertising message was that all burgers were made to order, you picked the size of the burger, single/double/triple with each piece of meat a 1/4 pounder. Then you ordered your condiments. There was a specific order they were to be put on, and things were lined up in the prep area to facilitate. While I don't remember the specifics, a google search did find the following:
On top of the meat, spread the mustard, then place the lettuce, onion, tomato, and pickles, in that order.

I do remember "mustard on the meat", and that list doesn't include mayo or ketchup. Not sure but one of those two might have gone on the top bun.

Couple of other tidbits... Burgers were always on the grill, to have some available, and if you got one over cooked during a slow time of day without an order, you tossed it in a bin under the grill for chili meat. Chili was made fresh each day with the chili meat from the previous day.

And when you were working, you could put a note on your timecard if you ate a meal during your shift. Then they withheld a small amount, I believe it was $0.40, per meal, no matter what you ate. Being a typical teenage boy with a big appetite, I would do a double or triple and a boatload of fries. My mom told me it was cheaper than feeding me at home and would reimburse me the $0.40. :)

Funny this topic was asked, brought back an old memory... My first job at 16 in the mid 70s (other than paper route and cutting grass) was at a Wendy's. At the time, the advertising message was that all burgers were made to order, you picked the size of the burger, single/double/triple with each piece of meat a 1/4 pounder. Then you ordered your condiments. There was a specific order they were to be put on, and things were lined up in the prep area to facilitate. While I don't remember the specifics, a google search did find the following:
On top of the meat, spread the mustard, then place the lettuce, onion, tomato, and pickles, in that order.

I do remember "mustard on the meat", and that list doesn't include mayo or ketchup. Not sure but one of those two might have gone on the top bun.

Couple of other tidbits... Burgers were always on the grill, to have some available, and if you got one over cooked during a slow time of day without an order, you tossed it in a bin under the grill for chili meat. Chili was made fresh each day with the chili meat from the previous day.

And when you were working, you could put a note on your timecard if you ate a meal during your shift. Then they withheld a small amount, I believe it was $0.40, per meal, no matter what you ate. Being a typical teenage boy with a big appetite, I would do a double or triple and a boatload of fries. My mom told me it was cheaper than feeding me at home and would reimburse me the $0.40. :)

Wendy's is by far my favorite of the "big chain" burger joints. Only burger I like better is Steak and Shake. They're more or less limited to the midwest. I like Wendy's condiments application so I'm guessing they did some real research on them. (Still eat 'em with a knife and fork.)

Burgers were always on the grill, to have some available, and if you got one over cooked during a slow time of day without an order, you tossed it in a bin under the grill for chili meat. Chili was made fresh each day with the chili meat from the previous day.

Ha! Reminded me of an episode from my teen years working the kitchen and counter at a Howard Johnson's in NY. Any meat of any kind that fell on the floor or was otherwise unsuitable for serving went into the grinder. Then the output from the grinder was used to make the next day's ham salad.
The law at the time was that at least 40% of the meat in ham salad had to be ham, and we were usually pretty close. :LOL:

I go for plain but it did kind of amuse me to think about the mess. I can honestly spill anything.

Sometimes I like forget how to drink even (and not because I am impaired)! I really never see others dump soda or water on them.

Last edited:
Had burgers tonight. Bun bottom, mayo, relish, mustard, ketchup, meat, cheese, onion slab, tomato, bun top.

As long as the meat is ground ribeye, the condiments seem of little importance as long as they’re minimal.

We really don’t care for ground meat except for coarse grind in chili or a ragú. Otherwise prefer it whole or big cubes for stew.

No meatloaf here, ha ha.

Last edited:
I'm a minimalist when it comes to burgers...the meat is the star, it's not a salad.

My toppings are cheese and a small amount of mustard and relish. Maybe some onions on occasion.

Just had a burger on the grill tonight.
Bottom bun, onion, 2 slices of cheese, 1/2 pound burger, ketchup, mustard, top bun. Yummy.

Not really an issue for me. Meat, cheese, bun, and ketchup is all that is on my burger. Same with hotdog/brat, add ketchup and that is all. Not too messy. If I am eating multiple pieces of meat I may only have a bun with one of them. I will eat the other with a fork. I would rather fill up on meat than bread.

Why is ground meat so popular? I always assumed people bought ground meat for cost savings - to stretch the food budget - rather than for taste.

Why is ground meat so popular? I always assumed people bought ground meat for cost savings - to stretch the food budget - rather than for taste.

I guess it's an acquired taste. When you grow up on hamburger instead of steak, you end up liking it. Well, at least until you finally taste a quality steak. The first time I ever tasted "real" steak was when I was 17. My cousin invited all the family in for his 25th anniversary and served T-bone steaks. I asked my dad why we never ate such fare. We were off to the side of the celebration and my dad opened his wallet and showed me it contained three one dollar bills. I still love a good burger.

I grew up with it like many, but I like the texture of ground meat too. The texture of some food is just off putting and I won't eat it.

I guess it's an acquired taste. When you grow up on hamburger instead of steak, you end up liking it. Well, at least until you finally taste a quality steak. The first time I ever tasted "real" steak was when I was 17. My cousin invited all the family in for his 25th anniversary and served T-bone steaks. I asked my dad why we never ate such fare. We were off to the side of the celebration and my dad opened his wallet and showed me it contained three one dollar bills. I still love a good burger.
We had it growing up, but when I started cooking for myself I found ground beef pretty tasteless. I suppose I don’t care for the texture either.

I try to put something "waterproof" on the bottom, even if it's just a cheese slice.

To keep the bun from being soggy.

I also put something wet on the top bun like mustard/ketchup so it will stay.

After that it's just really random.

I heard ages ago that the original purpose of aeoli aka mayonaise on a sandwich was to be fatty barrier to protect bread from getting soggy.

Back
Top Bottom