Stacking burger toppings

Why is ground meat so popular? I always assumed people bought ground meat for cost savings - to stretch the food budget - rather than for taste.

Yes, stretching....Hamburger Helper would not have been the same without the ground beef while I was a starving student.

Bet grind up some good Angus beef and add the fixin's and you can make a great burger.:)

We seldom have burgers, but every once in a while they're a nice change. I can grind my own meat and that's always terrific, but I've found that the Angus ground beef from the supermarket is very good and much easier.

Yes, stretching....Hamburger Helper would not have been the same without the ground beef while I was a starving student.

Bet grind up some good Angus beef and add the fixin's and you can make a great burger.:)

That’s just it. Ground beef brings back unsavory memories of things like Hamburger Helper ha ha!

But I’m sure it’s mostly that I far prefer good quality beef unground. So for me there is nothing appealing about trying to create a “great burger”. I’ll take a steak every time.

DH even more so.

That’s just it. Ground beef brings back unsavory memories of things like Hamburger Helper ha ha!

But I’m sure it’s mostly that I far prefer good quality beef unground. So for me there is nothing appealing about trying to create a “great burger”. I’ll take a steak every time.

DH even more so.

I guess my taste buds were ruined in college by all the ramen noodles but I LOVED Hamburger helper. I just never read the ingredients. It's better that way though YMMV.

Bun, Burger, Cheese, Pickle, Onion, Ketchup, Lettuce if Available, Bun

I prefer steak too but sometimes a burger sounds better (and way cheaper on the menu if out and about).

We are fortunate to have a "Farm to Fork" store nearby. They offer high quality products direct from local farmers. Their products include bison, Certified Piedmontese Beef, wagyu beef, farm fresh poultry and produce. We shop there occasionally, however, their prices reflect the quality of their products. No coupon shopping there but the products are amazing.

I guess my taste buds were ruined in college by all the ramen noodles but I LOVED Hamburger helper. I just never read the ingredients. It's better that way though YMMV.

I grew up lower middle class (wait, can I say that? we had a whole thread debating it). Anyway, ground beef was a common item. Burgers, casseroles, and even Hamburger helper (which I also kind of liked). DW grew up the same.

Today we love burgers, meatloaf (also smoked as described in another thread), and stuffed green peppers. Simple things for simple people? I don't know. We also love a good rib-eye or filet.

Back on topic. There was a lot of talk about soggy buns. Am I the only onle that ALWAYS toasts the bun when I make a burger at home?

You have to toast the bun! Mayo on the bottom helps too.
Burger topping depends on the mood of the day. Could be no bun, and use fork and knife and dip in horseradish. Or on a bun with peppers and onions, or mayo, lettuce, tomato and pickles, or.... So many combos. That's why we love good quality burgers. (We usually get 80/20 angus burgers). You can change it up every time. :dance:

I worked at McDonalds as a teen back in the 60's. Toasted bun on flattop, burger, cheese if ordered, rehydrated onion bits, 3 pickles ketchup and mustard. The menu wasn't as varied and the burgers were 15 cents. The newest menu item was the filet-o-fish. During our lunch or dinner break we could make a sandwich for free for ourselves. Whatever we chose, however, had to fit between two buns only. There were some amazing combinations such as the filet-o-fish, hamburger and fries combo sandwich with cheese.

Funny this topic was asked, brought back an old memory... My first job at 16 in the mid 70s (other than paper route and cutting grass) was at a Wendy's. At the time, the advertising message was that all burgers were made to order, you picked the size of the burger, single/double/triple with each piece of meat a 1/4 pounder. Then you ordered your condiments. There was a specific order they were to be put on, and things were lined up in the prep area to facilitate. While I don't remember the specifics, a google search did find the following:
On top of the meat, spread the mustard, then place the lettuce, onion, tomato, and pickles, in that order.

I do remember "mustard on the meat", and that list doesn't include mayo or ketchup. Not sure but one of those two might have gone on the top bun.

Couple of other tidbits... Burgers were always on the grill, to have some available, and if you got one over cooked during a slow time of day without an order, you tossed it in a bin under the grill for chili meat. Chili was made fresh each day with the chili meat from the previous day.

And when you were working, you could put a note on your timecard if you ate a meal during your shift. Then they withheld a small amount, I believe it was $0.40, per meal, no matter what you ate. Being a typical teenage boy with a big appetite, I would do a double or triple and a boatload of fries. My mom told me it was cheaper than feeding me at home and would reimburse me the $0.40. :)

I also worked at Wendy's.

The order was, starting from the top bun down:
Mayonnaise
Ketchup
Pickle
Onion
Tomato
Lettuce
Mustard
Relish

White, Red, Green, White, Red, Green, Yellow.

No one ever ordered Relish. If some sicko did, we gave them packets of it so they could put it on themselves.

You remember the order now. I'll never forget it.

--
Dan

We’re doing the low carb thing, so no bun.

But we go heavy on the toppings (ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomato) so a fork and knife are used.

But we go heavy on the toppings (ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomato) so a fork and knife are used.

If you’re really doing the low carb thing lose the ketchup. It’s usually loaded with sugar.

If you’re really doing the low carb thing lose the ketchup. It’s usually loaded with sugar.

Hopefully they are using lower carb ketchup. Yes, normally a lot of sugar added to ketchup. Even the lower carb ketchup you have to use sparingly.

Last edited:
Back on topic. There was a lot of talk about soggy buns. Am I the only onle that ALWAYS toasts the bun when I make a burger at home?

I always love toasted buns. I think a restaurant which toasts their buns is a notch above!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use condiments

Raised my kids on dry sandwiches. Someone once commented that "that borders on child abuse". As a kid, my folks used Miracle whip and oleo. I hated both, so I always went dry. As I became more educated in nutrition, I viewed the condiments as wasted calories. My kids never questioned it and don't miss them. But early on getting a kid's meal PLAIN was a challenge so fast food was never that popular either. A movie came out when my kids were young (I think called The whole nine yards) where one of the characters hated mayonnaise. His aversion kind of sealed the deal. I also worked in the weight loss industry and found discussing condiments can be very emotional for some. But back to original question...cheese next to one bun, meat next to other and veggies in-between

Raised my kids on dry sandwiches. Someone once commented that "that borders on child abuse". As a kid, my folks used Miracle whip and oleo. I hated both, so I always went dry. As I became more educated in nutrition, I viewed the condiments as wasted calories. My kids never questioned it and don't miss them. But early on getting a kid's meal PLAIN was a challenge so fast food was never that popular either. A movie came out when my kids were young (I think called The whole nine yards) where one of the characters hated mayonnaise. His aversion kind of sealed the deal. I also worked in the weight loss industry and found discussing condiments can be very emotional for some. But back to original question...cheese next to one bun, meat next to other and veggies in-between

Yep, child abuse!:LOL::cool:

Yep, child abuse!:LOL::cool:
Whey my children went to college they were amazed at the poor eating habits of their fellow students, whose diets were limited to pizza, chicken nuggets bathed in sauce, spaghetti in a gallon of tomato sauce, and burgers with no toppings but loads of mayo and ketchup. And, of course, fries drowning in ketchup.

It’s little wonder that generation is challenged in so many ways. They suffer from such poor nutrition.

Putting ketchup on beef hides/disguises the beef flavor, it should be a felony. I think putting ketchup on a Chicago dog at Wrigley Field is a felony.

Further, as a youth, I worked on a "truck" farm picking tomatoes, watermelons, and cantaloupe.

The Heinz truck was parked at the loading dock, That's where all of the tomatoes with EXTRA protein(wriggling critters), green or white fuzzy stuff went.

Can't touch the stuff.

Here's my burger stack:

Top Bun(toasted)
Mayo(Dukes)
Lettuce(iceberg)
Tomato(beefsteak)
Onion(optional)
Cheese(your favorite)
Burger 1/3 lb or 1/2 lb (Ground sirloin or better)
Crispy dill pickles( acts as a barrier for the meat juice)
Bottom Bun (toasted)

Raised my kids on dry sandwiches. Someone once commented that "that borders on child abuse". As a kid, my folks used Miracle whip and oleo. I hated both, so I always went dry. As I became more educated in nutrition, I viewed the condiments as wasted calories.

Depending on the sandwich I don't mind a little bit of mayo, but it's a small amount, less than half a teaspoon. It's about ratio, condiments are supposed to enhance the flavour, not take over.

Whey my children went to college they were amazed at the poor eating habits of their fellow students, whose diets were limited to pizza, chicken nuggets bathed in sauce, spaghetti in a gallon of tomato sauce, and burgers with no toppings but loads of mayo and ketchup. And, of course, fries drowning in ketchup.

It’s little wonder that generation is challenged in so many ways. They suffer from such poor nutrition.

I was a "Townie" so got to eat at home except when I was on campus at lunch. The Union Building had a cafeteria with surprisingly good food (healthy choices and tasty) and it was fairly affordable if one made wise choices.

They did have a couple of other places in the building where you could get the greasy, saucy, pizza and sammiches kinds of fare. I occasionally ate there for "comfort" but mostly could not afford it. Occasionally, I brown bagged it. Mom and dad gave me room and board for my university experience, but spending money and books and tuition were on me. I lost 15 pounds my first year in university. Between eating at home and on my dime and running all over campus, I got really healthy.

I make my own mayo. High quality stuff. If I ate bread I wouldn’t hesitate to put mayo on it. :LOL: :LOL:

When my two daughters were going into their teen years, they ate burgers plain, no condiments, just a bun and the burger. I have no idea what prompted them to do this, but I never questioned them.

Both won't touch seafood or fish of any kind these days (shrimp, red-fish, tuna, etc), but both love Broccoli (go figure). :confused:

I used to call them "cheap dates"! :LOL:

DM made Hamburger Helper once, and it was the last time. Dad was willing to try it but it got a big thumbs down. Mom and Dad did buy an annual half beef.

Back
Top Bottom