Statistics on "types" of layoffs ?

Seeing how this all unfolds is answering a question that rattled around in my head off and on for 29 years...
why couldn't I get a white collar job when I first graduated college in 1980? This recession reminds me a lot of what was going on then, except I was a brash 21 yo with no knowledge of the business world and economy.
Jobs can be found or self created for those who need to pay the bills. It may not be the best job, but if it pays, it counts.

All I'm trying to say is that it is hard to say this is a White collar Recession when the unemployment rate for those w/o high school diploma is more than 3x the rate for those with College Degrees. Generally speaking, Blue collar workers fall into the w/o HS diploma and only HS Diploma categories.
Oh, I agree with that. The blue collar has been hit in every recession. But until the last decade or so, it seemed like the white collar jobs were more offshoring-proof than blue collar manufacturing. I think that's why it "feels" so much worse to white collar workers -- they're just not used to this. They were told so many times growing up that college was the key, and for a fair number of them that must feel like a lie right now.

Back
Top Bottom