Staying in Barcelona before cruise

We stayed in the Hotel Catalonia Square just off the Plaça de Catalunya which was a very convenient location. Near the central transportation hub and tourist office and buses to airport. Not far from Passage de Gracia and Casa Battló which we enjoyed. Across the big square diagonally was the start of La Rambla on which you find the wonderful huge market Mercado de la Boqueria, and can walk all the way down to the waterfront. Hotel was very comfortable with a very nice breakfast buffet.

In carrying stuff on your person around Barcelona including public transportation you must take precautions against their famously skilled pickpockets. Lots of videos describing various scams. Have everything in front of you under clothes, locked and/or tethered.

Last edited:
Any Spanish you may speak is useless. They speak Catalan!

First sentence is false. Second is true, but they speak Spanish, and most under 50 speak English as well.

If you can rent a car and head into the Pyrenees, I recommend heading into Andorra for some great hiking. Also nearby is Pubol, home of Salvador Dali's house which is now a museum.

The missus is taking her folks on a cruise next week and is planning to stay a few days in Barcelona post cruise. IIRC, they're staying on Las Ramblas to try to stay in the heart of things to reduce the walking/transport for her folks.

The last time we visited, we stayed in the Eixample neighbourhood (Gran Hotel Havana Barcelona). Liked the area but since we walked a lot and it was a bit of a trek from the water end of Las Ramblas. Can take a bus of course which we occasionally did (+1 to Google Maps). I'd reiterate to watch out for pick pockets on all forms of public transit as mentioned above.

+1 to Spanish being understood as well as Catalan.

If interested in Gaudi's work, in addition to Sagrada Familia and the Block of Discord/Passage de Gracia area, there's also Guell Park (paid attraction) which is easily reachable by bus.

We enjoyed the Magic Fountain of Montjuic light show but it seems temporarily closed currently. Would recommend if open again next fall. Lots of former Olympic infrastructure on Montjuic also.

Really enjoyed the Ribera neighbourhood with a Picasso museum and some really good tapas places.

We also like checking out food markets so we enjoyed visiting Mercado de La Boqueria but it gets pretty packed (so you need to hold onto your stuff).

We did the exact same thing a few years ago and stayed at the Hotel 1898. The hotel was really nice with a great rooftop bar and pool. The Sagrada Família is amazing.

The Guell Park is fantastic, but get tickets online a couple of days ahead.

We did and when we bussed there (city bus). We saw people refused at the gates as they didn't have a ticket and the ones sold at the gate were all gone for the day.

First sentence is false. Second is true, but they speak Spanish, and most under 50 speak English as well.

If you can rent a car and head into the Pyrenees, I recommend heading into Andorra for some great hiking. Also nearby is Pubol, home of Salvador Dali's house which is now a museum.

I didn’t mean to say they don’t understand Spanish. It was generally my experience that they often frown upon it. They have an independence movement and had a major nationalist upheaval in the last few years. There’s a Netflix documentary about the whole thing. My experience in 2021 was, I attempted my Spanish to be polite and they answered me in English. They prefer Catalan.

We took a last minute drive to Barcelona for a few nights in 2015. Ended up being a highlight of the trip. Staying in the Gothic Quarter, taking a walking tour and ALL the restaurants were great. Just wish I could remember some of the details. We were just talking of going again as American has non-stop as low as $424 R/T.

We stayed 5 days before a cruise. Got a hotel neal Las Ramblas and a short walk to public transit station. Plenty to do. No need to do any distant day trips. It always seems to me those get pushed because there's less money to be made by tour operators by unless they get you on a bus. You can do the free walking tour, and tip at the end. I'd get a guided tour of Sagrada... it's marginally more expensive, but you have low stress...sit and have a coffee at a specific spot, the guide comes and handles exactly where to stand in (the shorter) line. The only taxi we used was with luggage on the way to the port. The guy wanted cash (claimed his CC reader didn't work). Pointed us to an ATM in the cruise terminal. So ask about CC before getting into a taxi.

We stayed in 2008 at the Hotel Principal Barcelona Junta De Comerc 8, Barcelona, Spain. Just off La Rambla. A 3 minute walk to the Mercado de La Boqueria.

Hotel Jazz. Great location and remarkable service. 5 days there a year ago. Check out the reviews.

2 week transfer cruise to the US in Oct? Friends of mine will be on that cruise.

Barcelona is a very busy cruise port. There are at least seven transatlantic cruises departing Barcelona for the USA in October 2024. (Source: vacationstogo.com). So you will probably have to be more specific about your friend’s cruise.😀

We stayed twice at Hotel Medinaceli which is practically across the street from the cruise port shuttle bus, right at the bottom of Las Ramblas.

And once at AC Hotel Som, which is not in a tourist district but is on a good bus line that will get you downtown in 5 minutes. It's across the street from a huge shopping mall with several restaurants and a supermarket.

Both were fine.

And most people in Barcelona DO speak Spanish, and will do so a little more readily if you greet them in Catalan (bon dia will do). But as in every tourist place, they speak English too.

Back
Top Bottom