Steam Iron Problem.......Help Appreciated

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was going to use DW's steam iron today. I know there's a red button labelled "Up for Steam" and I was trying to determine if it was up or down. I pushed it down but I couldn't see any difference in position but in meddling around I must have pushed it too far down and so it ended up inside the top handle(?) that you hold when ironing. It looks like the red button is on a coiled spring which is now inside that top handle so it is difficult to restore to the original position. Not enough room in the slot to reach in and pull knob out since it is twisted on that spring.

There are 2 screws that appear to hold the cover on that top handle so if feels like if I could remove that top cover I might be able to restore things to normal.
The problem is that I can't remove that cover because there is the rotating knob that controls the temperature that I can't remove. The shaft that the knob is on comes up thru the top cover. I don't see any screws,etc. that are fastening the knob to the shaft so I am guessing the knob is just pressed on to the shaft? However a gentle prying doesn't seem to get it off and I was reluctant to use brute force for now.

Any ideas how to get that knob off the shaft so the top cover can be removed?

Last edited:
Thanks,omni. Yes I saw some of those but didn't see any similar to to mine but didn't spend that much time either. Might have to take a second look.

if you google the specific make/model, and search "problem with red steam button (make/model)" you'll probably get results that tell you exactly what to do, unless you are the first person ever with this problem.

Or, you could drop by Good Will and get a used steam iron for I dunno, maybe fifty cents or a buck (I would guess). OK, I admit I haven't looked for one in years but back then used steam irons were really cheap.

I gave mine to them back in 2010 when I was downsizing for our move north that never happened.

I had a steam iron, I bought about 15 yrs ago, still in the box, gave it away as I realized I'm just never going to iron anything.

While on a trip, I did buy one at a good will for a couple of dollars, but that was to iron the side strip on a laminate counter, then I threw the iron away.

if you google the specific make/model, and search "problem with red steam button (make/model)" you'll probably get results that tell you exactly what to do, unless you are the first person ever with this problem.

wish that were true.......no luck so far. must be the first.........

Could you back out the screws on the cover and remove enough pressure on the red button to be able to move it into the right location? Without removing the knob?

Could you back out the screws on the cover and remove enough pressure on the red button to be able to move it into the right location? Without removing the knob?

Thanks for suggestion. I can remove the screws completely but I don't have room for fingers or tools to reach in to move red button to correct location and orientation. The red button is bent over due to the springs it is attached to so there is no pressure from the cover.

You can't go in with a pick or pointy knife and push on the top of the button or hook the side and move it to the side or wherever? A friendly tooth cleaning person often has fantastic picks one can beg for as a freebie, or something like these:

https://www.americanfreight.com/br/pdp/workshop-pick-and-hook-set-4pc/184725?uid=63486827&storeZip=12205&scid=scplp63486827&sc_intid=63486827&gclid=CjwKCAjwwab7BRBAEiwAapqpTB313S-046OGdTC3iVy902yyWH-47nXrDIo923mN7GPM6-hg7IhDQRoCBZwQAvD_BwE

unfortunately , not . the red button unfortunately is down where the knob is so even tho one end of the top cover can open a little, the knob end is very much less accessible.

pic?

unfortunately, you have a technology-challenged person here: surprised we got this far w/o pic.
Schematic dwg of top cover. The red steam button is now down under the cover and I am trying to retrieve it to position correctly. Cannot open cover to
get at it even after removing screws since rotary temp knob is still in place.
Could not find a picture using model number and other pics don't show this
problem.

* rotary temp........red steam.......................screw..........................screw *
* knob................. button..................................................................... *

If I were doing it, I would just try very hard to lever or pull the offending knob off. It was obviously put there after the cover was installed, so the shaft was pushed into a hole in the iron (unlikely) or into a hole in the knob (likely). A friction fit is most likely; using setscrews costs money. If the knob or something else breaks, you've made a tuition payment to the DIY gods and you get to buy a new iron. (If a DIY-er never pays tuition, the DIY-er is not trying hard enough.)

Another option would be to drill a small hole in the top of the red button and install a wood screw to use as a maneuvering handle. Once the button is wiggled back home, remove the screw and ignore the hole. Or if it offends you, plug it with hot-melt glue or epoxy putty. This is more screwing around (unintended pun) but if the tactic fails, you'll still be able to try to remove the knob.

Last edited:
Thanks, OldShooter. That was close to what happened this AM. I spent hrs.
trying the pry the knob off the shaft. Used a med. screw driver to wedge between the knob and the handle and wiggled. Then rotated positions around the clock to get an even wiggle. Got excited when I saw the gap between knob and handle opening a little but it kept being stubborn. Brought in a bigger screwdriver and filled in the gap on the opposite side w/ 1 or 2 nail files to keep the knob level and leverage the force on the screw driver side. When the gap got big enough I used a Stanley pry bar on one side and screwdriver on the opposite side. Finally the knob popped up......actually it was the knob and a short shaft. Don't think the shaft broke......no jagged ends.

Thought I was home free but the top cover would not come off. The front end was a tight fit into the mating piece. I did the screwdriver wedge into the gap and did manage a bit more progress but couldn't get the cover off. I did manage to get enough access to get hold of the red steam button and to reposition it correctly.

The problem that remains is that the temp control knob shaft is round with a
protruding line along its length that positions it at the correct orientation in the knob and in the iron. However there is no longer a tight fit at either end....perhaps it was glued together ??.......so the knob and shaft want to fall out of the iron. Guess I can live w/ that if the iron still functions which remains to be tested............

Thanks, OldShooter. That was close to what happened this AM. I spent hrs.
trying the pry the knob off the shaft. Used a med. screw driver to wedge between the knob and the handle and wiggled. Then rotated positions around the clock to get an even wiggle. Got excited when I saw the gap between knob and handle opening a little but it kept being stubborn. Brought in a bigger screwdriver and filled in the gap on the opposite side w/ 1 or 2 nail files to keep the knob level and leverage the force on the screw driver side. When the gap got big enough I used a Stanley pry bar on one side and screwdriver on the opposite side. Finally the knob popped up......actually it was the knob and a short shaft. Don't think the shaft broke......no jagged ends.

Thought I was home free but the top cover would not come off. The front end was a tight fit into the mating piece. I did the screwdriver wedge into the gap and did manage a bit more progress but couldn't get the cover off. I did manage to get enough access to get hold of the red steam button and to reposition it correctly.

The problem that remains is that the temp control knob shaft is round with a
protruding line along its length that positions it at the correct orientation in the knob and in the iron. However there is no longer a tight fit at either end....perhaps it was glued together ??.......so the knob and shaft want to fall out of the iron. Guess I can live w/ that if the iron still functions which remains to be tested............
Good job. Too bad about the cover. I have seen that type of thing where they have a one-time assembly where tabs lock into slots. No concern about repairability, just the cheapest possible manufacturing cost.

Re the loose shaft ends, I would try to knurl it. That is the time-tested way to tighten a shaft. Plastic, right? Find a pair of pliers with fairly aggressive grip surface in the jaws and use them, slowly, squeeze the shaft carefully to rough up the shaft surface. If metal, I would start with about two gentle pops with a center punch, then increase the mayhem from there until I got the fit I wanted. It is easier to add knurling than to take it away, so knurl a little, do a test fit, etc. until you are happy. Remember that better is often the enemy of good. Assuming the shaft is a loose fit at both ends, you could glue one of them and skip half the fussy work.

Back
Top Bottom