Stock/Bond fund ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LXEX55

Recycles dryer sheets
What is the minimum percentage of stock funds I should own (the remainder being bond funds) to allow for a 3.2% withdrawal rate? Being risk averse, I would like the minimum amount of my money in stocks, but would still need a 3.2% withdrawal rate. Thanks very much for any insight.

What an amazing post(s) and chart. Thanks for pointing it out. Their methodology seemed pretty rigorous and one would think would put a lot of questions about the "4% rule" to bed. But alas, I expect not. The short answer is there are too many variables to say whether 4% is good or bad. This paper does a great job showing how they interact.

Yes, excellent post. It answers the question above and a lot more.

What is the minimum percentage of stock funds I should own (the remainder being bond funds) to allow for a 3.2% withdrawal rate? Being risk averse, I would like the minimum amount of my money in stocks, but would still need a 3.2% withdrawal rate. Thanks very much for any insight.
This link shows how complicated the answer would be for a financial analyst. I just skimmed the article, but assume that any of these tools would need an input of stock/bond ratio.

https://www.kitces.com/blog/safe-wi...or-software-big-picture-timeline-app-reviews/

I can share with you personal experience with in-laws, one being risk adverse. Once they made that choice with the investment management company, their stock ratio was set to 20%. This may be a wise choice at the beginning, when sequence of returns is important. In time though, we adjusted to 35% stock, which has helped the portfolio grow "a bit." The next "stop" is 50% stock.

I'd think Firecalc can show you some graphs with success rates on this subject. But I am not that familiar with the tool.

Zero.

By definition, you can always withdraw 3.2% of whatever you have.

This link shows how complicated the answer would be for a financial analyst. I just skimmed the article, but assume that any of these tools would need an input of stock/bond ratio.

https://www.kitces.com/blog/safe-wi...or-software-big-picture-timeline-app-reviews/

I can share with you personal experience with in-laws, one being risk adverse. Once they made that choice with the investment management company, their stock ratio was set to 20%. This may be a wise choice at the beginning, when sequence of returns is important. In time though, we adjusted to 35% stock, which has helped the portfolio grow "a bit." The next "stop" is 50% stock.

I'd think Firecalc can show you some graphs with success rates on this subject. But I am not that familiar with the tool.
Firecalc, be sure to fill out all the tabs, will show minimum equity percentage for the success rate of your choosing.

I meant make the 3.2% annual withdrawal and not have to worry about running out of money in later years.

The supplied chart gives a good idea of what stock % is needed for withdrawal rates for different year periods. Take your age and subtract from 95 and that is the # of years you should plan for unless you have serious health concerns. About 25% stocks for a person age 65 wanting a 3.2% withdrawal.

30% stocks is usually considered a minimum to keep up with inflation. Personally I would not be comfortable under 45% until my estimated retirement time period dropped under 30 years.

However, a good option is to start your stock exposure low at 30% when you first retire and then allow it to gradually rise up to a higher level while you spend more from fixed income. This handles the early sequence risk better. Kitces has written about this “Rising Glide Path” and how it is protective.
https://www.kitces.com/blog/should-...is-a-rising-equity-glidepath-actually-better/

Last edited:
There is a lot of information on that site. Thanks for sharing that.

To be clear, where you say a 3.2% withdrawal rate you mean 3.2% of your balance when you retire, adjusted annually for inflation... if so, then the posts that you have been getting are on point.

However, if you mean 3.2% of your balance at the beginning of each year, that is an entirely different kettle of fish... as is 3.2% of your initial balance but not adjusted for inflation or adjusted for inflation only if the portfolio goes up.

The point is that there are many different versions of a 3.2% withdrawal rate and they each have different risk profiles.

We just got thrown under the bus by the OP at Bogleheads. Said our responses were just wise ass. Keep that in mind next time the OP asks a question here.

I thought the answers were quite good, and if the OP would have comprehended the replies, he got his answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom