Stock Picking (Beat Boho) Contest - V2.0

Net worth is different. Would a person with a million dollar home tend to have a million invested too?

They could if they had a $1M mortgage.

Yes, unlikely, but you should get the point. Another excuse huh? Which trade went south on you now?

-ERD50

They could if they had a $1M mortgage.

Yes, unlikely, but you should get the point. Another excuse huh? Which trade went south on you now?

-ERD50

None. I'm up today but I bought two stocks and with the first I bought almost the maximum allowed and it was only $65,974. With the other I bought a small fraction of what I could and it was $294,754. The first was hardly worth buying the way I trade and with the second I have to worry about liquidity. Nothing new, it's just that it seems avoidable with a more realistic initial balance.

I think $1,000,000 was too high for this contest.
You should be glad that the volume restrictions put a cap on your losses. 😂
Seriously, if you spent half as much time making smart investment decisions as you do making up excuses, you probably wouldn't be in the red.

I think $1,000,000 was too high for this contest. There would be fewer volume issues with a lower starting value. What's the average amount forum members have in the market IRL? I see no reason people would tend to have $1,000,000 just because they're interested in early retirement.

Just because the starting balance was $1M doesn't mean you MUST make big bets :cool:. Plus, waiting til in the afternoon to trade seems to clear up volume issues.

You should be glad that the volume restrictions put a cap on your losses. 😂
Seriously, if you spent half as much time making smart investment decisions as you do making up excuses, you probably wouldn't be in the red.

Got a chuckle on the putting a cap on Boho's losses :LOL:.

Actually, since that would allow him to trade more, he'd probably be more in the red :D

Best case scenario actually was that he didn't have time to trade at all ...

I'm green again.

I think I read that real estate is at a three year low. It's just a little over a year for VNQ but I bought it. It's not my usual stock picking strategy but I make exceptions.

I went in big on Lending Tree. I actually placed a market order.

Ever since a satisfaction survey that popped up a day or two ago I've been getting an occasional "site down for maintenance" notice. I wonder what Investopedia is fixing and what they'll break.

Net worth is different. Would a person with a million dollar home tend to have a million invested too?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There are old people in my neighborhood that bought their homes decades ago who probably have way more in invested in their home than the markets just because of RE appreciation, but In polls on here the primary residence value is often excluded from net worth.....or at least separated out. FYI my house is worth around $900k and I have a mid 7 figure amount invested in the markets using my boring indexing approach.....which I see has netted me 17.8% return so far.

And we're off! :LOL:
Sorry to interrupt this topic that's never been covered, but I was looking at some of the leaders and how they got there. It appears that something weird is happening with Fermion1 (site ranks that player at 4th, not to be confused with plain Fermion (site ranks that player at 27th).

When I look at the trades, I see that everything on 6/21 and before balances to zero (share balances). There were two trades on 6/23, one long (NVDA) and one short (KITE). But when I look at the holdings page, only NVDA shows-up; KITE does not show under "Shorted Stock Portfolio", and I think it should.

When I try to look-up KITE historical price, it doesn't give it to me (on yahoo finance); it appears to have been de-listed.

But the point is that the game gave a credit of $383K on 6/23, and the liability of the short sale seems to have evaporated without impacting the balance.

If the current price is anything to be believed ($179.79) then the short sale at $95.76 would have this trade should be valued at -$719K, yielding an account value of $617K, firmly in last place, not ranked 4th.

EDIT: I just looked it up. It got bought out:
agreement to be acquired by Gilead Sciences, Inc. (“Gilead”) (NASDAQ GS: GILD) in a transaction valued at approximately $11.9 billion. Under the terms of the agreement, shareholders of Kite Pharma will receive $180.00 in cash for each share of Kite Pharma common stock.
Certainly player Fermion1 took a royal bath since 4000 shares were shorted on 6/23.

Last edited:
Are you really officially considered retired if you're a landlord?

Well the only opinion I care about in that regard is my ex-employer and they consider me as a retiree so I get pension and healthcare....so yes, I am officially retired.

I just put $472,080.00 in NLSN and I'm not even ordering a sell yet which is a departure for me. I've gained $100,000 in one day before and I'd like another shot at that. The way I've been trading I usually gain less than .5% and I have to trade frequently. Maybe I'll take a vacation if I get another big win, but my usual strategy will stay small.

I'm kind of annoyed at the volume limitation. I bought all 4300 shares at once, but today, even at near 4pm, it limited me to selling only 350 shares.

It looks like I'll need to log in every day for two weeks in a row in order to sell one of my holdings. There should be an automatic way to put a market order in at max volume every day until the position is gone.

I'm kind of annoyed at the volume limitation. I bought all 4300 shares at once, but today, even at near 4pm, it limited me to selling only 350 shares.

It looks like I'll need to log in every day for two weeks in a row in order to sell one of my holdings. There should be an automatic way to put a market order in at max volume every day until the position is gone.
Yeah, when I got that satisfaction survey I didn't fill it but I never understood why they limit you to selling a fraction of the volume. I think they gave some explanation somewhere and maybe I just don't get it. If I commented on everything I'd consider changing I'd never stop.

I get why they do it...if you sold more than 10% of the daily volume, you'd push the price. That makes it unrealistic to allow that sale. It would be easy to game the system by grabbing or dumping large volumes of a lightly traded and volitile stock. For my example, there was several hours where the price didn't change on my stock. Thus, I could know what price I would get, even though I had to wait 20 minutes.

It's annoying that they start the volume at zero every day, so you can't effectively put in an order for when the market opens. It seems like using a rolling average volume would be better, but maybe people could find a way to game that too. It's just weird that I could buy the entire position at once and it appears that it will take a dozen log ins to get it liquidated.

Last edited:
I get why they do it...if you sold more than 10% of the daily volume, you'd push the price. That makes it unrealistic to allow that sale. It would be easy to game the system by grabbing or dumping large volumes of a lightly traded and volitile stock. For my example, there was several hours where the price didn't change on my stock. Thus, I could know what price I would get, even though I had to wait 20 minutes.

OTOH, in the contest people won't be buying and driving up the price more just because you bought a lot of a particular stock. IRL investors would see demand for the stock, buy, and drive the price even higher, then you could sell with the price higher. I'll just take your word for it that the 10% rule makes sense. I figured it might, but it's not so simple to me.

I just put $472,080.00 in NLSN and I'm not even ordering a sell yet which is a departure for me. ...

What made NLSN attractive to you (that's a BIG commitment, about half the portfolio!)? What is in the rest of your portfolio at this point?

Can we get an EOM contest update?

-ERD50

What made NLSN attractive to you (that's a BIG commitment, about half the portfolio!)? What is in the rest of your portfolio at this point?

Can we get an EOM contest update?

-ERD50

It was way low for the year ( http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?$SPX,$INDU,nlsn ) and I read Nielsen Announces Data And Technology Deal With IPG Mediabrandsâ (which I took as good news). It had dropped a lot recently (in addition to throughout the year) and I normally try to research why but I don't remember if I did. Turns out it's undervalued but I don't remember if I cared (about analyst opinions - I formed my own).

It also got a neutral "Equity Summary Score" which I usually look at. It probably doesn't reflect news from within the hour so I consider the score lower than it should be when I read good company news.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom