Strained lumbar

Marquette

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Man, what a crappy Friday night. I went to sit down on our bed (it's a platform on the floor [that I built myself!]) so it's only about 8" off the ground. In the process of sitting down I was knocked down by a sharp pain in my lower back. Managed to get myself on my back but then couldn't roll over or sit up.

Long story short. Doc said I probably strained my lumbar. I'm on 600mg advil and muscle relaxers. I have vicodin if I need it and I'm to follow up with my primary doc on Monday if things don't start to feel better. From there I guess we'd look at discs and nerves.

At only 30, I do admit that I feel a bit betrayed by my body. I mean, seriously, sitting down isn't exactly a competitive sport. (I'm sure it was related to activity before that, but still....)

At only 30, I do admit that I feel a bit betrayed by my body. I mean, seriously, sitting down isn't exactly a competitive sport. (I'm sure it was related to activity before that, but still....)
Sorry to hear of your pain, only ask: please don't sneeze into the fan, especially the output side. Jumping away could aggravate pain.
grin.gif

Seriously, when I was in thirties had back pains at time usually due to high level of activity. I am now 60, pretty active, have not had back pain in 20 years. Though other muscle aches happen. Hope you get well.

I've heard of several people who strained their back loading their dishwasher . Hope you get some relief !

sorry to hear about your pain...hope you get mended quickly...sauna helps my aches pains and strains...

ps - I must be failing and becoming dyslectic like Wahoo says - the thread title looks like stained lumber to me...

Hope you feel better soon, and that the Advil and muscle relaxers have the desired effects!

Don't let the doc's look too hard or they'll find something to treat. Give yourself some time and/or exercise and/or physical therapy to recover.

Oh, this is about a back problem. I thought it was going to be a complaint about some bad 2 x 4's at Home Depot...
:2funny:

On a more serious note, my worst lower back problems were in my 30's, but I haven't had serious back problems in almost 20 years, so I wish you well and hope the treatment is effective.

So the prescreening question was if I'd lost control of my bladder or bowels. Nurse asked then the doc asked. I said hey doc, it wasn't me ok.

So I go to the doc and after doing a resistance test with my legs and toes, he tells me to drop my pants and proceeds to break off one of their stick thingies to make a sharp point. Tells me he's going to poke me in the ass to see if it feels normal to me. I said, what do you mean feels normal? Do you think I go home every night and poke myself in the ass with a pointy stick?

My stained lumber is doing much better now. It's either due to the meds or reading Ultimate Cheapskate. Time will tell.

I was in my 30's when I was BRUSHING MY TEETH and cough'ed. I had a pain so severe I almost blacked out and fell on the floor. I thought I was having a heart attack. Turns out I did something to my back. That was the start of it.

I would suggest that you
a) get your weight down to whatever they are quoting as the average these days for your height.
b) do stomach, back and glut exercises
c) stretch out your legs

I did none of those things for 20 years after my 1st episode and am now paying the price.

I have found you don't heal as quickly at 57 as you did when you were 30.

You can be a dumb*ss, as I was, and ignore the above and pay for it when you are in your 50's.

I wish I had this forum 20 years ago. Although being young and immortal (and incredibly stupid) I would have probably ignored it anyways.

Best of luck with your back.

Long story short. Doc said I probably strained my lumbar.
That's a mildly amusing diagnosis, since lumbar is an adjective. Lumbar vertebra? Lumbar muscle?

I know back pain is one of the top three reasons for family doctor visits -- and there usually isn't much a doc can do for you. Usually just tincture of time will resolve it.

But you have my sympathy, Marquette. I remember the first time my back went out (as equally precise a description!). It was the first time I had the sense of my body betraying me.

Coach

Well, I've been meaning to get a desk for my computer for a while now. Up until last night, my work area at home was, basically, the monitor set on top of the tower case with the keyboard and mouse on a small end table with me sitting on the edge of the bed. Probably less than healthy. So, I finally went shopping last night.

And, based on my parent's advice and megacorp-firee's comments about working your muscles, I didn't get a chair. Rather, I hunted down my core ball, inflated that, and am now using that as my desk chair.

Back
Top Bottom