Strengthen Social Security, Increase Benefits, Cut Taxes for Seniors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see "means-based" SS happening but it wouldn't affect anyone on this forum. It would only affect people with at least 8 figures, probably 9 or 10+. I have no problem with that.
You're welcome to believe that.

I don't see that happening, ever. It is so blatantly unfair and penalizes the ant and rewards the grasshopper (of Asop's fable fame) that all the ants would quickly modify their behavior to become grasshopper-like because the rewards to save and invest went away.

I agree. If you take too much from the ants, they loose their motivation.

.... I know that some people will say that Bob and Chuck paid more taxes than Andy, so they should get a higher benefit. I don't see that. ....

If SS were a welfare program then you might have a valid point, but it isn't a welfare program. Public support for the program would die a fairly quick death if it was turned into just another welfare program as you seem to suggest.

I don't see that happening, ever. It is so blatantly unfair and penalizes the ant and rewards the grasshopper (of Asop's fable fame) that all the ants would quickly modify their behavior to become grasshopper-like because the rewards to save and invest went away.

+1

If SS were a welfare program then you might have a valid point, but it isn't a welfare program. Public support for the program would die a fairly quick death if it was turned into just another welfare program as you seem to suggest.
I think "welfare" is a loaded word.

Medicare, public schools, and the criminal justice system are all programs where higher income people pay more, but everyone gets (or should get, IMO) the same benefits. I support that funding/benefit relationship. I don't see why it is bad public policy to use the same approach for Social Security.

"Public support" is a different issue. I understand that a flat dollar benefit isn't politically popular. If anything had been popular, we wouldn't still be talking about this in 2019. I think that as we get closer to an across the board benefit cut, previously unthinkable solutions will have a chance.

This bill proposes both raising taxes and raising benefits. That may turn out to be the politically popular solution. I'd rather have a mix of raising taxes and cutting benefits.

I think "welfare" is a loaded word.

Medicare, public schools, and the criminal justice system are all programs where higher income people pay more, but everyone gets (or should get, IMO) the same benefits. I support that funding/benefit relationship. I don't see why it is bad public policy to use the same approach for Social Security.

If the SS program is going to be "redefined" in this way, then it should go through an approval process like the "original" idea. Although, it has arguable been redefined and and changed drastically (over time) to something much more comprehensive already, much like the proverbial frog in a pot of slowly boiling water.

In todays political leaning, however, I am pretty sure SS (or what it has become), along with most other forms of wealth transfer through the government, would be welcomed by more than 50% of the population.

Yup. The whole notion of greater good has been replaced by a "what's in it for me" attitude that IMO could ultimately result in the failure of the republic.

Since the thread has moved from discussing the proposed bill to generalizations on welfare and the possible collapse of our society then we have decided to close it.

If the proposed bill makes progress in Congress then we have no objections to another discussion thread on the proposals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom