Stupid Tax for a Lost Car Key

Apparently you need special software now. Youtube had a video showing how you could buy the software program and DIY. I was over that idea at 20 seconds in.

I'm going to ask about the valet key while I'm there, however.

Some cars (FCJ, specifically I have personal experience with Jeep) can reprogram a virgin key if you have at least two working keys available. Simple key sequence is all you need (documented in the owner manual). My jeep only had one key when bought, so paid to program additional key at lock smith shop (about $50) and then I re-programmed two additional keys myself. The key fob was about $10 each.

I have tendency to lose a key or two if I don't have extras available. I tend to loose no key if several extras are available. Fate? Coincidence? Luck?

Didn't know that a Lexus dealer was a taxing authority other than for sales tax per state law?

If your thread title had been an investment article-would have been called click bait.

Didn't know that a Lexus dealer was a taxing authority other than for sales tax per state law?

If your thread title had been an investment article-would have been called click bait.

"Stupid tax" is an old expression for doing something stupid that costs you money unnecessarily. Recently popularized by Dave Ramsey.

I don't think the keyless ignition cars have valet keys.

Some keyless ignition cars do have valet keys. They allow locking the glove compartment and trunk, while allowing the valet to drive the car and lock/unlock the doors.

We lost one of two keys for DW's BMW several years ago. Actually we're 95% sure it was lost at a car shop. I had dropped the car off and gave them my key. DW picked it up later but never remembers them returning the key. She used her key to drive home. When we returned to the shop next day, they could not locate the key.

In any case, a few months ago, the battery (non-replaceable) in the one remaining key started going dead and eventually stopped working altogether. The local dealership charged $250 for a new key and programming. We just had to bring them the old key plus the title. No need to tow the car in.

I had called several locksmiths, none of whom would not touch a BMW. The ebay/self-programming option was not available for our particular model year (2006 3 Series). I'm not sure why. I seem to recall it required some special equipment. So after much research and teeth gnashing, the dealership was our only option.

Oddly, the old key with a bad battery has suddenly started working reliably again. But still DW is really careful with the new key.

I feel like my spare toyota key is an aftermarket. I gotta really jam it into the ignition and wiggle it around in the ignition while simultaneously jerking the wheel left then right...and the fob which is a seperate thing, doesn't unlock the car (guessing lack of programming).

Of course we didn't discover this until week's later when we actually went to use the spare key. Why would the dealer say anything...he might not of even known himself who knows.

Just another thing to add to the checklist when buying a car. Do both keys WORK in the ignition.

We lost our second "key" for our Ford Explorer a number of years ago and it was going to be several hundred dollars to replace so we just trade the one "key" back and forth. Now that car is our second car and we don't use it that often.

With our new Volvo I think we were told to keep good care of the "keys" as they are sold only in pairs and are, I think, $750!

I put "key" in quotes because these are not actually keys....

Really bugs me that I can't just get a $3.00 car key anymore.
Even the $110 keys would be ok. I find the proximity keys are no great convenience and a ridiculous inevitable expense.

They're even trying to make those $3.00 keys (I remember when they were $1.00) more difficult. I have a 1979 Chrysler 5th Avenue that I only have one set of keys for, and luckily, I have never lost them. But, I figure it might happen, eventually. About a year ago I went into Home Depot, and thought I'd get a spare set made. They don't even carry that blank any more! I wonder if a Chrysler dealer would be able to make one?

Recently had to replace lost key to my wife's Saab Aero Convertible.

Sigh ... no dealer network since Saab went out of biz ... BUT, it is an incredibly cool vert ... bright red, black and white leather interior, turbo, fast, handles well ... sigh.

So ... look around for lock smith who understands the issue ... locksmiths are NOT created equal. Found one ... VERY high tech competent and has most of this kind of biz for my area.

Required a new key (OEM Saab parts still out there) which he ordered - two days. Key comes in, then "process" begins ...

1. Connect up GM Tech II tool
2. Get data from car from Tech II with remaining key inserted
3. Take Tech II back inside to laptop
4. Log on to subscription service to allow Tech II to be authorized to code the new electronic code
5. Take Tech II back to car
6. Put remaining key back into car
7. Plug Tech II into car
8. Go through programming until Tech II says ok to take out old key and insert new key
9. Remove old key and insert new key
10. Tech II tells car/Tech II it is OK to program the new key
11. Tech II/Car programs the new key
12. Grind the blank hard key

$175

No great convenience, really?.... they aren't an expense unless you lose them.

Not a great convenience at all. I can reach in my pocket and put the key in the ignition without great strain.
On the other hand it's a pain when SHE has the proximity key in her purse, I drive and let her out at the destination then drive off to find parking only to have the alarm go off as soon as I pull away.

I’m sure the thieves have it figured out as I don’t think car thefts have stopped. I know one thing that has happened is that car jacking has become an option. I saw a story on the news that with keyless cars, the thieves have resulted to confronting you directly and demanding your keys or jumping in while your car is running. Of course these would be much worse than having you car stolen while you are away from it.

Seeing this happening a lot on the news these days, especially "slipping" where people sneak in the passenger side while the vehicle is running (and getting gas). My truck has a deal that if it's running and the key is NOT in the truck, the transmission shifter is disabled. I don't know if it can be forced mechanically into gear, but I think that it could lead to trouble if you run from the car and still have the key.

It would deter casual car theft, because it wouldn't be possible to take the whole car without going through the steps of programming a chip, etc.

So, those tens of thousands of stolen cars a year are all pre-2000 models that didn't have this technology yet?

When I looked into this, the "key" was to make sure you have one operating key/fob. IIRC, it was cheaper (still not cheap) to get a replacement if you had one operating one.

Lose that last working one, and the costs go way up.

-ERD50

I just got off the phone talking to the locksmith. My "lost" key fob was actually stolen by a wayward child that we won't let touch our cars--as she's on ankle express. If we turn our backs, she'll be out on the town as an unauthorized driver.

I'm just asking that he change the security code on my existing key so our "lost" key won't work--$40. Then I'll order in another key fob ($100) on the internet and get it programmed--another $40.

I just got off the phone talking to the locksmith. My "lost" key fob was actually stolen by a wayward child that we won't let touch our cars--as she's on ankle express. If we turn our backs, she'll be out on the town as an unauthorized driver.

I'm just asking that he change the security code on my existing key so our "lost" key won't work--$40. Then I'll order in another key fob ($100) on the internet and get it programmed--another $40.

How complicated is the $40 programming? Where do you get it done? Lexus is quoting $214, which is extortion.

Grateful my vehicles let you program new keys with only one key.

Maybe we should go back to the old ways...round key for the doors, square key for the ignition.

They're even trying to make those $3.00 keys (I remember when they were $1.00) more difficult. I have a 1979 Chrysler 5th Avenue that I only have one set of keys for, and luckily, I have never lost them. But, I figure it might happen, eventually. About a year ago I went into Home Depot, and thought I'd get a spare set made. They don't even carry that blank any more! I wonder if a Chrysler dealer would be able to make one?

My RV was built on a 1977 Chevy chassis. Went to get a spare key made, no luck. No blanks available anymore.
My Village hardware store owner looked in the back and found the previous owners had a stash of blanks though. I miss that 89 year old couple that sold the hardware store. New owner couldn't make a go of it, and now it's closed.😥

I love keyless! Keep the fob in my pocket, open doors, trunk and start just because I have it close. Also lock w/o ever having to touch a key or even push a button on the fob.

Also can never lock fob in car. Car will not lock and make horrible noise if you try.

Since you have your key, here's a video on programming a new one:

Only for older Toyotas.
From your link:
The vehicle demonstrated is a 2000 Lexus GS300. Procedure should be the same for all 1998-2005 Lexus GS300 GS400 and GS430, and late 90's to early 2000's Toyota

Last edited:
I love keyless! Keep the fob in my pocket, open doors, trunk and start just because I have it close. Also lock w/o ever having to touch a key or even push a button on the fob.

Also can never lock fob in car. Car will not lock and make horrible noise if you try.

My fob has a nice feature that lets me open all the windows and the sunroof remotely. It comes in very handy on hot days.

And of course remote start from the key fob is nice in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom