Suggestions for things to do --Seattle/Vancouver area

I'm not sure what the OP travelers enjoy, but were it me I would easily use10 days looking around Seattle then on to the Peninsula. On the Peninsula go hiking! Hike from Hurricane Ridge, hike some of the trails South of Crescent Lake. Go on to Clallam Bay and the Indian Res at Neah Bay. Go salmon fishing, or if you want wait until you get down on the coast and go out of Westport.

While still on the NW peninsula, drive to Lake Ozette. Do some canoeing, and definitely walk the trail down to Cape Alava at the beach. I think it's a bit more than 3 miles.

The rain forest is just south down hiway 101. There are so many possibilities, that I would get an Olympic Peninsula Guidebook and see what appeals. I very nice upscale beach experience would be a night or 2 at Kalaloch Lodge.

Easy return to Seattle south on Hiway 101 then east on secondary roads skirting the south end of the Olympic range to Olympia and back on I5 for the short drive to Seattle.

If you have more time, continue south on 101, then pick a side route to the very different sand bar beaches of the southern coast.

Ha

I agree that to try to do Ranier, St. Helen and the Columbia River Gorge in 3 days is REALLY pushing it. The distances involved, and the things to see are too much for that timeframe.

Take your time and enjoy NW Washington. I am a native Oregonian so I don't get excited about Ranier but St. Helen is easily a full day on and around the mountain. Use your "excess" time to explore Seattle, don't rush off the the airport only to see a beautiful part of the world out the window of your aircraft.

Brat said:
I agree that to try to do Ranier, St. Helen and the Columbia River Gorge in 3 days is REALLY pushing it. The distances involved, and the things to see are too much for that timeframe.
Take your time and enjoy NW Washington.
AMEN!! Personally I am a mountain guy and Rainier and the Cascades are some of the most outstanding scenery there is. However, you have your schedule full and the Olympic pennisula has lots of good stuff--including some interesting wineries outside Port Angeles if that is your thing. Hurricane Ridge will take a day by itself to be properly enjoyed.
Use the three days planned for Rainier and Columbia River to fully enjoy ther rest of your schedule. You could easily spnd a week on Vancouver Island! A day in Seattle proper will not even scratch the surface--I know of visitors who think a day at the Pike Place market alone is time well spent.
Have a great trip and come back the next summer for more:)
nwsteve

Elysian brewpub on Pike and (I think) 23rd.

great beer, good food.

I highly recommend Port Townsend as a place on the peninsula to visit as well. Great views, lots of nice day trips.

Port Townsend

Oh, yeah. Their city motto is "We're all here because we're not all there." They have a wild vehicle race there in the summer. The average one wins. It has to go on land, sea and mud.

Also, if it suits you, consider visiting the Boeing Museum of Flight, behind Boeing Fiield. And then there are the Ducks--tour of the city.

Sigh - been a while since 1964 - I don't suppose the 45th street Looking Glass Tavern(U district) featuring Logi - beers during Happy hour is still there.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh - Pike Place used to be fun in the days when the police patroled in pairs at night and one usually had a German Shepard.

By the last visit in the early 90's - a well oiled tourist trap - I mean really purty.

A San Juan Island suggestion: if there is a low tide during the day when you are there, then go to False Bay:

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=48.482708,-123.076057&spn=0.025943,0.045061&t=h&om=1

Although about a mile in diameter, it is only about 8-10 feet deep, and empties out at lower low tide. Walking out along the undulating bottom, looking into seawater ponds and so forth, is really a fun experience, and something you won't forget. Plan on about 2 hours. Either wear flip-flops, or go in bare feet (better).

False Bay is near South Beach, American Camp, and Cattle Point, so it may be convenient to your itinerary, if you are going down that way anyway. There is (or was) a small parking area at the head of the bay, on False Bay Drive.

Back
Top Bottom